C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Foleys4fun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

Ok my Vette friends. Can anybody suggest a good all around tire for my C6. It gets driven in all weather conditions except snow, goes on many road trips, and occasionally the drag strip and road course. And it's still garage kept and maintained when home! I have Goodyear run flats on it now, but I'm at boarderline tread.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 AM
bigswiss89
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin's Pilot Sport PS2 ZP imo
Old 05-23-2013, 01:28 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you really can't have everything. Firestone makes the most affordable run flat. michelin has 2. 1 is an AS & 1 summer only PS2. Then there is plenty on NON runflats, some may suit your track needs

good luck
Old 05-23-2013, 02:28 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

I have Michelin PS2 A/S ZP, great touring tire, very quiet and good in the rain. I don't track my car so not sure about performance but very adequate for my needs.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:55 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There is a reason the ZR1 gets Michelins!

That's what I bought.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

The Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFT is a great tire and a good price, I am on my 4th set and like them a lot.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Kumho's could not be happier! fantastic tire for our cars
Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
I have Michelin PS2 A/S ZP, great touring tire, very quiet and good in the rain. I don't track my car so not sure about performance but very adequate for my needs.
And when "summer tires" give out at temps around freezing these maintain better traction.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 PM
RC_Tactical
Heel & Toe

I run Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s and they are amazing. I'm actually on my second set; when I went back to Discount Tire to get the new set, the salesman said I'm about to have the best 10,000 miles I've ever had. I told him that these were going to be my second set and that I actually got around 25 or 30K out of the first set. He laughed and then said they were ready for the Smithsonian. I played along but then later looked at my paper work when we finished up at the store. I actually had 34,400 miles on that set! And I didn't exactly take it easy either, I drive this car like I mean it. And I don't mind making the kids wide-eyed with the occassional burnout! The tires weren't even level with the wear bar either. I don't think you'll find a single bad review on them.

Living in Texas, I do drive them predominantly in warm weather, so they are almost always in their happy place. No, they aren't run flats, but I'm not overly concerned about getting a flat. It's worth calling a tow truck if I had to. They ride and perform just phenomenal. Especially if you're interested in ocassional track time.

Good luck whichever route you choose.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RC_Tactical
I run Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s and they are amazing. I'm actually on my second set; when I went back to Discount Tire to get the new set, the salesman said I'm about to have the best 10,000 miles I've ever had. I told him that these were going to be my second set and that I actually got around 25 or 30K out of the first set. He laughed and then said they were ready for the Smithsonian. I played along but then later looked at my paper work when we finished up at the store. I actually had 34,400 miles on that set! And I didn't exactly take it easy either, I drive this car like I mean it. And I don't mind making the kids wide-eyed with the occassional burnout! The tires weren't even level with the wear bar either. I don't think you'll find a single bad review on them.

Living in Texas, I do drive them predominantly in warm weather, so they are almost always in their happy place. No, they aren't run flats, but I'm not overly concerned about getting a flat. It's worth calling a tow truck if I had to. They ride and perform just phenomenal. Especially if you're interested in ocassional track time.

Good luck whichever route you choose.

+1.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 AM
1fastbob
Racer

I like my Falken FK-452s.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Foleys4fun
Intermediate

Thank you all for the replies! Do I need run flats will be included. I don't do unpaved roads. That's why I have a Jeep too!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:25 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Foleys4fun
Thank you all for the replies! Do I need run flats will be included. I don't do unpaved roads. That's why I have a Jeep too!
Your original quote had a key phrase, "goes on many road trips". Do you really want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere and get a flat? With R/F's, you'll keep driving until you get somewhere to repair the tire. With non R/F's, you have 2 options, call someone and hope they come and get you (or fix the tire) in a reasonable amount of time or lay under the car and plug it yourself. If it's already flat you either have to pump it up or jack it up to get at the hole, then you'll lay on the ground and plug it. I know what I'd rather do, that's why I have R/F's.....

Get notified of new replies

To Tires

Quick Reply: Tires