C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What caused my throw out bearing to fail @ 15k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I've seen many fail like that. Usually in road racing conditions. Something changed with the OEM supplier. I suspect the grease melts out of it and overheats the bearing. It melts the plastic slider and at that point you start getting fluid leak, spongy/dropping pedal, and disengagement issues. This is part of the reason we designed our upgraded clutch hydraulics.
If this one goes out, I'm probably going to sack up and buy your tilton setup. $180 vs. $900 was hard to stomach and I needed a same day turn around to make an event this weekend. It's a bitch to change out, so it would be worth the extra expense just to know I won't be in there for that job again.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I've seen many fail like that. Usually in road racing conditions. Something changed with the OEM supplier. I suspect the grease melts out of it and overheats the bearing. It melts the plastic slider and at that point you start getting fluid leak, spongy/dropping pedal, and disengagement issues. This is part of the reason we designed our upgraded clutch hydraulics.
Thanks for the info Jason. I will now dread my next clutch change more than normal...lol. It's the luck of the draw.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't have any info on your particular set up , however , I can tell you that any and every clutch / through out bearing needs a gap or clearance , [ no contact when clutch is fully engaged ] Even minimal contact when engaged will destroy the bearing quickly . It's hard to feel / measure with a hydraulic clutch but there needs to be clearance between the through out bearing and the pressure plate when the clutch is at the top of it's travel . On an old mechanical linkage set up you could readily feel the necessary free play. On the C6 , i'm not sure how you would achieve the clearance that is built into the stock set up , when you are using or mixing after market components. Perhaps someone with specific knowledge could tell you how to measure and achieve the necessary gap.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

on the c6 and many other gm cars there is a spring added to specifically press the bearing into the fingers at all times
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
on the c6 and many other gm cars there is a spring added to specifically press the bearing into the fingers at all times
So your going back together with the OEM Slave ?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pit-man
So your going back together with the OEM Slave ?
Yea, it's already back together actually. I fixed it last friday/saturday to make a car meet that saturday night.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Mine failed on a 2007 Z06 running a Katech LS9 clutch package. It started by making an occasional squealing noise, then it was all the time, then the cylutch pedal didn't "feel" right. Pulled it, some bearings missing, plastic melted. Best guess is heat related. It had been in the car for less than 10,000 miles.
just had the same ' occasional squeal' failure on the new slave cylinder... thought maybe belt noise, then bam, pedal feel totally off and pool of fluid under the bell housing after pumping... wtf. I mean I use the car for what I built it for, but is that really enough to kill these that fast?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

any update on this? Did you go with the tilton slave after this last failure?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:09 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Sorting out the clutch specs with McLeod before I front any money on an aftermarket slave cylinder.

Just moved into a new house, so need to get my lift installed.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:16 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Sorting out the clutch specs with McLeod before I front any money on an aftermarket slave cylinder.

Just moved into a new house, so need to get my lift installed.
Did you ever get this fixed. I know this is from 2 years ago but im curious.. bc i have a mcleod rxt as well.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
Just a guess, but if the stackup of the new clutch is greater than the old clutch, it may blow the bearing apart.

Did you call the clutch manufacturer for ideas?
whats wrong with you? call the MFG you are so rude you should be banned! at least thats what they tell me....

Quick Reply: What caused my throw out bearing to fail @ 15k miles