C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 tapping engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Arjian
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 tapping engine noise

Hi everyone,

I'm from France and new on the forum. It's a mine of gold to get some informations about corvette. I also decided to register.
I just bought a black C6 Z06 2007 last month with 45000km and an awesome Borla Attak Cat-Back.

It was all good until last week, a strange "tapping,ticking" is appeared.
I was immediately coming back home to control the rockers as we all know the famous "rockers bearings" issue.

No broken rockers or bearing, but a lot of play between the bearings and the trunnion. I also decided to order a Comp Cams trunnion upgrade kit to prevent any damage from those rockers.

Ordered on sunday, delivered on friday by Fedex straight from Florida.
I just instal all those upgraded rocker on the engine today, torque it nice and clean to 22lbs/30nm and start the engine. No more "tapping, clicking" or whatsoever strange noise. But after 3 to 4 minutes on idle, the engine start to heat and the noise is back, 100% like before.

It also was not the problem. I decided to make a video and to post it on youtube to got some advices about it. Here it is :

(I put some infos in the description)

I thing on bad lifters, to me it's the only last thing who can produce that noise. Push rods are all ok, same thing for the valve springs.
And as I say in the video description, the noise seems to come from the middle of the engine (under the intake manifold) where are the lifters..

No power or engine start issues, turn well.. Some idea, advices ?

Thanks a lot by advance to all for your help and sorry for the eventual spelling mistakes.

Best regards from France.

Last edited by Arjian; 05-19-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:46 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

I think you should re-post in the C6 Z06 Forum for the best help. Good luck.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion-100/
Old 05-19-2013, 01:00 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Hate to say it but that sounds deeper than a rocker issue. Rod bearing maybe ? Tough to diagnose on the internet though. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Arjian
Intermediate

Hi Rick T, thanks for your reply, ok I will do that right now

Hi realcanuk, I don't think so, rod bearing will make a huge tapping noise, more like an hammer on steel. I had checked some rod bearing video, it's not the same noise. I had say that my noise is more "quieter".
Plus if it was the rod bearing, the noise where there on cold and warm engine and would probably produce some freaking vibrations.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Arjian
Intermediate

Just re-post it in the c6 Z06 forum !
Can someone remove it from the c6 tech and perf forum ? Thanks.

Last edited by Arjian; 05-19-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Vette Lag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why???

The guy can post this in the ZR1 forum, he is a new guy! Man let him post it in the "pulling daisies" forum, who cares?

Welcome friend from France. It sounds like a toughy over the net. The LS7 has a known rocker/needle bearing/top end oiling issue. Chevy has a TSB out about it. My buddy has an 06, Z06, and it has the same sound. Chevy will do nothing about it for you. Get a good set of roller rockers, and bearing, now!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Arjian
Intermediate

Hi vette lag, thanks to for your reply and your welcome
As I said before, I had do the Comp Cam trunnion upgrade, I'm also no more worried about that bearings issue and thanks god, no bearing falls in the engine.
Your friend had also the same noise problem ? And what's the cause ? He did it fixed ?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Vette Lag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Top end noise

He can only replace the rocker arms, and the needle bearings. He asked Chevy what the fix is. They said to let the engine dispose of the needle bearings through attrition??? Crazy!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 tapping engine noise

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 tapping engine noise