C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling LS3 and replacing pistons

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:51 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by glenB
Here's the deal and why I answered the way I did

1. You asked if the factory manual is useful

Unless you walk around with all the clearance, torque specs etc in your head, yea, it's useful.

2. What were the hardest parts? any surprises?

It's an LS, nothing is hard or gives surprises

3. Did you have to make/buy special/custom tools?

If you have a factory manual then you would have these answers to every part you work on

To me, these all appear to be rookie questions from a novice and I think others took it the same way, hence all the 'send it out' replies.

My method is research, and it doesn't include forums .....
Not necessarily. Here's one example of a part in the manual that doesn't match the part on the car. There are even drawings of C5 seats in the '08 manual and procedures to remove/install parts that are impossible to accomplish.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the window adjustment procedure?
The service manual is garbage in some aspects
Old 05-17-2013, 11:59 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Not necessarily. Here's one example of a part in the manual that doesn't match the part on the car. There are even drawings of C5 seats in the '08 manual and procedures to remove/install parts that are impossible to accomplish.

Yes, it does have some C5 content but that just shows the extent of crossover regardless of how much they say they change.

As far as impossible to accomplish, I haven't had that problem in 30+ years, just more stuff to take off to get at it.

The crux of my point is that the answers to his questions are in the manual.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ferocious C6
How about the window adjustment procedure?
The service manual is garbage in some aspects
I'm not going to split hairs on the merits of the manual, but, the questions you asked are in the manual.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to split hairs on the merits of the manual, but, the questions you asked are in the manual.
I didn't ask any questions.

Last edited by Ferocious C6; 05-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:58 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ferocious C6
I didn't ask any questions.
Sorry, cornfused you with the OP...... my apologies
Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM
acannell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
.... You are insane OP. No one has said any of this stuff. My suggestion was that if you were going through this much trouble why not have the block cleaned up and the new rotating assembly balanced? Sure it might be fine not doing it but who knows once you weigh your new piston/rod's.

I wrench on my own **** and had pulled the transmission/heads/cam on my 05 GTO more times then I care to recall. You seem to be ready to jump and call anybody out, nobody cares about your tubular header. Seriously.

you were the one doing the calling out, remember? "nobody cares about your tubular header" after you get an answer you didnt expect. maybe that'll teach ya

my work here is done
Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 PM
acannell
Instructor

I lied! I was 69 when I did it, not 68. I'm 71 now, so give an old fart a little slack for the grey cell hiccup.

The engine can be pulled and replaced from the top without dropping the front cradle, but you can't do it with the IM installed. Be sure to install the oil pressure sender and connect/position as much wiring as possible around the back, prior to re-installing the IM.

My biggest problem was getting the radiator seperated from the condenser, until I opted to just disconnect and dump the freon. I think some other people hang the whole mess over the fender until they can unbolt the compressor. I opted to get it all out of the way and recharge the AC when I was done.

It's a lot easier when the torque tube and rear cradle is out for the install. If you have a need/desire to do anything toward the back, then pull the rear first and the engine becomes real easy.

This pretty much explains the reason for the swap.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...e-contest.html

My engine locked up and I couldn't rotate the crank to access the bolt on the driveshaft that allows the torque tube to come off until the engine was free out the top. I already had a 3600 TC on hand and had planned on swapping that, so the rear was coming out anyway.
wow those are great pics!

also really weird...the engine looks very old fashioned with all its plastic off....

i cringed when i read "this is what poured out of the intake" in the carnage thread
Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 PM
acannell
Instructor

Here's the deal and why I answered the way I did

1. You asked if the factory manual is useful

Unless you walk around with all the clearance, torque specs etc in your head, yea, it's useful.

2. What were the hardest parts? any surprises?

It's an LS, nothing is hard or gives surprises

3. Did you have to make/buy special/custom tools?

If you have a factory manual then you would have these answers to every part you work on

To me, these all appear to be rookie questions from a novice and I think others took it the same way, hence all the 'send it out' replies.

My method is research, and it doesn't include forums .....
my questions arent rookie. these ANSWERS are rookie ^^^^^

i've had FSM's for lots of cars and they are frequently error prone, indecipherable, or just plain wrong. sometimes it takes a combination of chiltons, haynes, FSM and some online research to "triangulate" and get the proper answers
Old 05-19-2013, 11:32 PM
acannell
Instructor

hahahha you guys are all the same. you make arguments and when it doesnt go your way now its "splitting hairs"...hahahaha
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 PM
acannell
Instructor

and procedures to remove/install parts that are impossible to accomplish.
exactly...

i've had FSM's with clearly incorrect units for specifications and sometimes just bizarre procedures that dont make any sense...

maybe they are trying to force you to think things through very very carefully hahaha
Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: While every thing is apart, are you going to replace the "stock" crank pulley with an after market item, ie ATI unit?

http://store.katechengines.com/ati-s...ts-v-p230.aspx & http://store.katechengines.com/bille...sioner-p2.aspx
Old 05-20-2013, 06:35 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Interesting information here.

Now I know why I out sourced my engine work to a trusted shop!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

piece of cake.

and i've never built any kind of tubalur manifold, but did drive a dodge shadow with the 2.2T engine, could change head gaskets in 30 mins.

-Carl
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by carlrx7

and i've never built any kind of tubalur manifold, but did drive a dodge shadow with the 2.2T engine, could change head gaskets in 30 mins.

-Carl
Been there!

Quick Reply: pulling LS3 and replacing pistons