C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little Power Gain with Headers.....I'm stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:52 PM
acscogginjr
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Little Power Gain with Headers.....I'm stumped

I have a 2008 Z51 M6 with an LS3 engine (duh!), stock intake manifold, stock heads, stock cam. I have added a Halltech Killer Bee 2 intake with beehive and shroud mod, B&B bullet exhaust, and now recently B&B headers and new spark plug wires/plugs!

I know this is a detailed story, but I wanted to give background so I can hopefully get some help! I had the car on a dyno back in October with stock engine other than Halltech Killer Bee intake and B&B Bullet exhaust! It made 384 rwhp (some have said way too high for stock car, but thats what it made). Anyway I bought a set of B&B headers with a modified "x-pipe" to go on the car. The x-pipe was a stock LS3 x-pipe with high flow cats welded into it. And it actually was 2 completely individual pipes, i.e. not connected in the middle via an "x" or "h" (not sure to the reasoning of this, but it was free with the header purchase so I took it). After installing the headers and intermediate pipe to my car, I happily took it to the dyno. On the first few pulls it only made 386 hp! Very disappointing. The dyno tuner, a very well respected individual in the corvette community who knows what he's doing, told me that it was possible that the cats were clogged, or the spark plugs were bad. So I had the spark plugs and wires changed to brand new ones and a re-dyno tune. It picked up 10 rwhp with just the spark plug change putting the car at 396 rwhp. Still not what I was expecting . The tuner said a manual LS3 with CAI and headers/exhaust should make about 420-430 rwhp (as he's tuned hundreds of cars identical to mine and had those results) So we talked about the options and came to a few possible conclusions:
1) I had messed up something internally in the engine, i.e. rod, piston, spring, rocker....whatever. But we debunked that myth mostly because I don't drive the vehicle hard, have never redlined it, and it was working great back in September with nothing out of the ordinary happening in the last 6-7 months. The engine is not making any funny noises or knocking sounds and the tuner said when he was running it through the gears on the dyno he did not notice anything out of the ordinary.
2) He next suggested taking off the modified intermediate pipe and either switching it back to the stock x-pipe with no cats (gotta love B&B for making a design that bolts to stock stuff) or buying B&Bs x-pipe for ~$450.........I switched out the modified pipe to the stock x-pipe but haven't had it re-dyno tuned yet! However, the high flow cats on the modified intermediate pipe were in perfect condition, not breaking up, not clogged. And I didn't feel that the individual pipes (not connected in middle) would cause a horsepower decrease as significant as 20 hp.
3) Final suggestion was a bad tank of gas......He said he was not able to dial in on the timing at all. Which after doing research and talking about it, I usually fill up wherever is closest. I have stopped that for the last 2 tanks and have run one tank of Texaco and one tank of Chevron through the system. And it will be Chevron from here on out, no exceptions!

So, that is where I am at now. Once I get paid again on the end of this month, I am going to take it back to the dyno with stock x-pipe and reliable tank of Chevron 93 octane gas to see if I can pick up the missing 20-30 rwhp.

What I want from you guys is any other suggestions of things I can fix myself or any ideas on another possible solution to why my car "didn't gain" any rwhp from a reliable header install without having to tear into the engine. It sounds great with the headers and bullets, I just want it to run like it.

Thanks in advance, Austin

Last edited by acscogginjr; 04-26-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Same dyno? Did you actually check the cats?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM
acscogginjr
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Same dyno? Did you actually check the cats?
Different company but same dyno manufacturer. The company that did the dyno says these LS3 bolt on's consistently put down 420-430 rwhp all day long.

I don't know what you mean by actually check the cats. I shined a flashlight down in the cats and you can see straight through them and someone suggested shaking the pipe to listen for a rattle if the cat was breaking up and there was no rattle.

Austin
Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you are losing power using the modified stock pipe. Also, not having an h or x pipe mating in the middle thus negating the scavenging effect that it would normally be provided.
So think about it this way, most headers have a 3" collector and you are narrowing it down to 2 1/2" with some unknown cat converters and no scavenging effect. IMO you're possibly losing another 10-15 rwhp.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 PM
acscogginjr
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Pitufina
I think you are losing power using the modified stock pipe. Also, not having an h or x pipe mating in the middle thus negating the scavenging effect that it would normally be provided.
So think about it this way, most headers have a 3" collector and you are narrowing it down to 2 1/2" with some unknown cat converters and no scavenging effect. IMO you're possibly losing another 10-15 rwhp.
I hope you are right. The stock x-pipe is back on with no cats. It lost some sound volume but between that and some good gas I hope to see somewhere closer to 420 rwhp instead of 396.

Austin
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by acscogginjr
Different company but same dyno manufacturer
Can't compare them man IMO. It needs to be on the same dyno, with same correction factors, and same everything else to be comparative. Noticed I didn't say precise, but comparative; that's what you're really interested in: the difference.
As far as the X-pipe, you're losing power for sure; just don't know how much. When you dyno it again, post the results. By the way, '12s and up came with little cats on the X-pipe (I swapped mine with a catless '11 one), but they're not nearly enough to avoid a CEL if you removed the main ones. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

420-430 rwhp for an auto LS3 is high, considering the listed mods.

I do not think you will see much north of 400.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
420-430 rwhp for an auto LS3 is high, considering the listed mods.

I do not think you will see much north of 400.
I have an LS2 with Kooks Headers, Ported stock intake manifold, 160 T Stat, and a GOOD TUNE by Cartek in NJ...

& I'm only making 396 HP with my 2800 FTI converter I have been running mid 11 sec 1/4 mile times @ 118 mph...
Old 04-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has an M6
Old 04-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocious C6
He has an M6
Granted

I was referencing another post.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Granted

I was referencing another post.
I have been chasing HP numbers on this forum for the past 2-3 weeks and have come to the conclusion that, mod for mod, you can't find a correlation between any of them HP wise even on the same dyno. Not sure which you installed, but some have suggested that the 1 3/4 size was a better power producer than larger on lightly modded cars.???

I think it's just time to do my own thing and don't worry about the numbers...and I will enjoy the new found power.

Last edited by ParisTNDude; 04-28-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Dado5
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I made 433 rwhp with lg headers

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-results.html
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 AM
06CSIX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's weird you gained after plug change unless you had a bad plug or wire before. How much time between plug change and re dyno?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude

I think it's just time to do my own thing and don't worry about the numbers...and I will enjoy the new found power.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 AM
acscogginjr
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 06CSIX
It's weird you gained after plug change unless you had a bad plug or wire before. How much time between plug change and re dyno?
Same day. He ran dyno, switched plugs ad wires, then back on the dyno

Austin
Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,769 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Need to see the data logs. What's the A/F ratio? What did he try regarding A/F ratio? Any timing retard / knock counts? What are the fuel trims? Other mods within the tune? Stock gears? What were the average values before the mods and after? Peak isn't everything.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acscogginjr
I have a 2008 Z51 M6 with an LS3 engine (duh!), stock intake manifold, stock heads, stock cam. I have added a Halltech Killer Bee 2 intake with beehive and shroud mod, B&B bullet exhaust, and now recently B&B headers and new spark plug wires/plugs!

I know this is a detailed story, but I wanted to give background so I can hopefully get some help! I had the car on a dyno back in October with stock engine other than Halltech Killer Bee intake and B&B Bullet exhaust! It made 384 rwhp (some have said way too high for stock car, but thats what it made). Anyway I bought a set of B&B headers with a modified "x-pipe" to go on the car. The x-pipe was a stock LS3 x-pipe with high flow cats welded into it. And it actually was 2 completely individual pipes, i.e. not connected in the middle via an "x" or "h" (not sure to the reasoning of this, but it was free with the header purchase so I took it). After installing the headers and intermediate pipe to my car, I happily took it to the dyno. On the first few pulls it only made 386 hp! Very disappointing. The dyno tuner, a very well respected individual in the corvette community who knows what he's doing, told me that it was possible that the cats were clogged, or the spark plugs were bad. So I had the spark plugs and wires changed to brand new ones and a re-dyno tune. It picked up 10 rwhp with just the spark plug change putting the car at 396 rwhp. Still not what I was expecting . The tuner said a manual LS3 with CAI and headers/exhaust should make about 420-430 rwhp (as he's tuned hundreds of cars identical to mine and had those results) So we talked about the options and came to a few possible conclusions:
1) I had messed up something internally in the engine, i.e. rod, piston, spring, rocker....whatever. But we debunked that myth mostly because I don't drive the vehicle hard, have never redlined it, and it was working great back in September with nothing out of the ordinary happening in the last 6-7 months. The engine is not making any funny noises or knocking sounds and the tuner said when he was running it through the gears on the dyno he did not notice anything out of the ordinary.
2) He next suggested taking off the modified intermediate pipe and either switching it back to the stock x-pipe with no cats (gotta love B&B for making a design that bolts to stock stuff) or buying B&Bs x-pipe for ~$450.........I switched out the modified pipe to the stock x-pipe but haven't had it re-dyno tuned yet! However, the high flow cats on the modified intermediate pipe were in perfect condition, not breaking up, not clogged. And I didn't feel that the individual pipes (not connected in middle) would cause a horsepower decrease as significant as 20 hp.
3) Final suggestion was a bad tank of gas......He said he was not able to dial in on the timing at all. Which after doing research and talking about it, I usually fill up wherever is closest. I have stopped that for the last 2 tanks and have run one tank of Texaco and one tank of Chevron through the system. And it will be Chevron from here on out, no exceptions!

So, that is where I am at now. Once I get paid again on the end of this month, I am going to take it back to the dyno with stock x-pipe and reliable tank of Chevron 93 octane gas to see if I can pick up the missing 20-30 rwhp.

What I want from you guys is any other suggestions of things I can fix myself or any ideas on another possible solution to why my car "didn't gain" any rwhp from a reliable header install without having to tear into the engine. It sounds great with the headers and bullets, I just want it to run like it.

Thanks in advance, Austin
Its really hard to say, but with so many factors (Outside temps, different dyno's, differnet tuners) it's kind of impossible to tell what is going on. Some tuners just grab a tune from a similar car and re-flash everything as a new starting point. His tunes might not be as aggressive as your previous tuner. Also HP gain is very reliant on the actual design of the headers. We have had a lot of people asking us to make a CARB compliant header, but with the reduced lengths needed for CARB compliance we saw literally zero gains on dyno testing. I think the first step is to see what kind of increases others have seen by using your setup so you know what could be expected. From there, talk to your tuner about what AFR he is commanding/reading across the RPM range. Maybe contact your old tuner and see what he was commanding so you make sure it isn't a tuning related discrepancy.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
I have been chasing HP numbers on this forum for the past 2-3 weeks and have come to the conclusion that, mod for mod, you can't find a correlation between any of them HP wise even on the same dyno. Not sure which you installed, but some have suggested that the 1 3/4 size was a better power producer than larger on lightly modded cars.???

Good point, I plan on doing the same.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
ebf2k
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-14

If it reuses the factory mid pipe it can't be a true long tube header so you're not comparing apples to apples.

Get notified of new replies

To Little Power Gain with Headers.....I'm stumped

Quick Reply: Little Power Gain with Headers.....I'm stumped