C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dies, everything goes blank...looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 PM
ViperKiller04
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Car dies, everything goes blank...looking for help

I sold my 2005 c6 to a friend and he's having a problem with it, I feel bad because the car was great for me but he's having a problem and he can't figure it out. I've done some research but I can't come up with a solution.

While driving the car dies, completely everything goes out. After a few seconds everything comes back and it starts fine. Last time when it came back up the dic said service column lock.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Loose battery cables? Corrosion at the terminals?

Since it is an 2005, have you (or your friend) replaced the battery? My 2005 had a really bad case of DBS. Replaced it with an Optima and always had it hooked up to a battery tender when I wasn't driving it.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 PM
djoneser
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the charging meter read? A good battery should read over 14, if you are seeing 13.5, you may want to replace the battery. I have a 2005 and was having some odd issues that all went away when I replaced the battery recently.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 PM
ViperKiller04
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced the battery with a pretty expensive battery designed for custom stereos, it's similar to an optima battery but made by stinger. It's fairly new but I thought it could be a battery too but then again should it run without a battery at all?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ViperKiller04
I sold my 2005 c6 to a friend and he's having a problem with it, I feel bad because the car was great for me but he's having a problem and he can't figure it out. I've done some research but I can't come up with a solution.

While driving the car dies, completely everything goes out. After a few seconds everything comes back and it starts fine. Last time when it came back up the dic said service column lock.

Anyone have any ideas?
Did you ever address the column lock issue with 2005's? I believe there was a fix for this so if that's the code it shows I would search the forum for answers about that specifically. I would replace the battery first as they are the cheapest and easiest fix to any crazy electrical issues with a C6. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the battery with a pretty expensive battery designed for custom stereos, it's similar to an optima battery but made by stinger. It's fairly new but I thought it could be a battery too but then again should it run without a battery at all?
C6's are very hard on batterys. Unless you hook it up to a battery tender anytime its parked I would plan on replacing it every 3-5 years. (to prevent the headache of being stranded for something so simple)
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

No it shouldn't.

I had a C6 go lights-out/dead-stick at 70mph on the freeway during a test drive. The cause? Weak battery.

You almost certainly have that, or a related problem with the connections. New batteries resolve 90%+ of these cases - you absolutely positively have to rule it out first.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
mike96ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree on the battery as well. Petty much the same thing happened to me with the Column Lock Message on the DIC too. Battery took care of it. Battery was less than 2 years old and it is a daily driver. They do fail. My original battery (2005 car) lasted over 5 years. I replaced it as a preventive maintenance item. Replacement last less than 2 years with almost the same symptoms as mentioned above. Go figure....

I have had the lose cable on the Positive post of the starter as well. Something to check if battery is good.

Get notified of new replies

To Car dies, everything goes blank...looking for help

Quick Reply: Car dies, everything goes blank...looking for help