C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Viper at PBIR - needs gears and clutch for 1/4 mile duty

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default 2013 Viper at PBIR - needs gears and clutch for 1/4 mile duty

The boys at DragTimes.com had the brand new Viper out at PBIR last weekend (how do these guys get these cars??)

Their write up is here:

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/

I have three takeaways from this article and video:

1st Takeaway. Notice how the high gearing (low numerical) in the Viper causes a lot of trouble getting off the line...that bog you hear is an ET killer. You have to eliminate that bog to get any sort of decent 60 foot and ET in a manual car. Despite the mountain of torque the V10 Viper has, it just doesn't have that much at 2000 rpm where it seems to be its bogging to. It's climbing the mountain of the torque band and that takes time.

2nd Takeaway. The clutch is really strong, but doesn't seem to slip well. If you want optimal ET in a manual car your clutch needs to slip to allow the car to stay within its power band.

These two work hand in hand, low gears give the car an easier time getting off the line (you are giving it a longer lever, literally) and the low gears also allow the clutch a much easier job slipping but hooking up in a reasonable amount of time without glazing.

3rd Takeaway. Looks like I have the new Viper covered.

Actually it goes to show that setup really effects the 1/4 mile. My car's rwhp/tq is 150+ lower than the Viper, but my setup with 2.97 1st gear and 4:10 rear is a lot better for the 1/4 mile.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default UhOh

Show him how it's done "Sparkdaddy", with over 71k on your LS2 Shortblock and clutch...... lol.
Ok, Ok so I'm NOT lying...
Old 04-26-2013, 09:08 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Call me crazy, but has launch control EVER been a good idea in a RWD car?

I would call it launch control bogging the car, not lack of low-end torque. That car should never see 2000rpms in a drag race and absolutely should not bog on launch....it's a classic case of too much tire on a car if it's bogging.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 04-26-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Viper at PBIR - needs gears and clutch for 1/4 mile duty

Quick Reply: 2013 Viper at PBIR - needs gears and clutch for 1/4 mile duty