C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mgw billet lower box first production >>>

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Default Mgw billet lower box first production >>>

Hey guys,

i have FINALLY gotten the first production run of our new c5/c6 billet lower shifter box assembly and we will ship them out by the end of the week.

- we ran 50 units and most all are sold i think so if you have one on order you may want to call and verify with sales. we will be shipping these and starting a larger production run of about 100 units asap.

NOTE!!!! you MUST have an MGW shifter that is no older than 8 months with the new side locking screws on it. If not and you want to upgrade give me a call as i will as always give credit for upgrades from the older models. this box will NOT work with the oem or other companies shifters!!!

the box price is set at 160.00

here is the video...

regards

george ciamillo

www.mgwltd.com

Last edited by MGW George; 04-22-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:57 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George
Hey guys,

i have FINALLY gotten the first production run of our new c5/c6 billet lower shifter box assembly and we will ship them out by the end of the week.

- we ran 50 units and most all are sold i think so if you have one on order you may want to call and verify with sales. we will be shipping these and starting a larger production run of about 100 units asap.

NOTE!!!! you MUST have an MGW shifter that is no older than 8 months with the new side locking screws on it. If not and you want to upgrade give me a call as i will as always give credit for upgrades from the older models. this box will NOT work with the oem or other companies shifters!!!

the box price is set at 160.00

here is the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Zly20AWt0

regards

george ciamillo

www.mgwltd.com
George, you just shown another well engineered and complete kit- all for an unbelievable price - w/standing credit applies for upgrade too - of course, I didn't expect anything less from you.

Right on.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Geroge,

Would you please explain the advantages of this box vs Oem.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George-
I have a MGW shifter and mine was purchased last year early. I have replaced two OEM boxes. They suck. The units fail in the rear of the box at the seal. I see what you did in terms of the bushing vs. OEM and looks great. You mentioned my shifter would not work so what is the price to upgrade and go to the box as well. Please PM me. I love my shifter, I purchased the Manknob as well, and that thing is great. Of the two I replaced the second is again rattling and expect it to fail. Im interested. Fill me in.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
Geroge,

Would you please explain the advantages of this box vs Oem.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Great video, very precise... Still don't know what it does... love the micrometer in your logo, as any toolmaker would!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a four year old MGW shifter. Is there any issue using it with the new box?

Last edited by timd38; 04-24-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM
newvetteguy9
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess we need a side by side pic comparison of which mgw shifter works and which doesn't. Would also be interested in what the benefit of this box would be
Old 04-24-2013, 11:13 AM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

hey guys,

first... in regards to shifter compatibility...

if you have a shifter that is from 04/15/2012-present then the shifter WILL work.

if you do not then you will need to get the shifter AND box set.

now the box...

the MAIN reason i designed this box is because the stock box is just a crappy design. it is only supported by the thinnest bushings and they wear out and fail in some cars as soon as 2000 miles!! most last about 10-20k miles. you do not realize that they have failed because it just slowly gets crappier and sloppier over time.

also i wanted to design the pivot point so that even with the 30 percent reduction in throw the shifter isnt that much different than stock as far as effort to move the stick. i will say that it is VERY close. it still is harder than stock but it is MUCH MUCH smoother and easier than any shifter on the market.

lastly the shifter ( at least in my SEVERAL car tests) seems to have gotten the NVH and rattle issue solved once and for all!!! i cannot guarantee EVERY car will be perfect but we tested a BUNCH of cars with 100 percent positive results.

if you guys are on tghe fence maybe sit tight and wait for some of the unbiased reviews to come in. i think you will be happy

regards
george
Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I have been on the list for a couple of months and got the call today so mine should be installed within a couple weeks when I get a free day to tackle it.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ugh, just put the shifter in a few days ago. Hopefully my new C6 box doesn't end up with a rattle, otherwise I guess I know what I'll need to buy.

Thanks for getting this out there. The shifter is great.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

I installed mine on the stock ZO6 box. Zo6's didn't have any bushings on them at all, unlike the standard C6 that comes with bushings. I just love it the way it is. It's fast and firm, no rattling and it's the best mod I think you can do for the money. SOOO much better than stock!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
I installed mine on the stock ZO6 box. Zo6's didn't have any bushings on them at all, unlike the standard C6 that comes with bushings.
Correction. Z06s prior to 2008 have no bushings. 2008 and up all use the same "with bushings" box.

Z//
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George
also i wanted to design the pivot point so that even with the 30 percent reduction in throw the shifter isnt that much different than stock as far as effort to move the stick. i will say that it is VERY close. it still is harder than stock but it is MUCH MUCH smoother and easier than any shifter on the market.
whoa

something i have been wanting for 11 years now. going to order one when available on website.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 PM
red9r
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the bottom of the box is left open compared to the enclosed stock box. What is the potential for dirt and grit to contaminate the grease that lubricates the shifter ball and the linkage shaft? It doesn't seem ideal for a daily driver and concerns me a bit for reliability and longevity. I for one wouldn't want to have to go in there and clean that up and re-lube it regularly.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Looking forward to the install. Also changing out the bezel to victory red to match the car. I almost pulled the trigger on the gm box and MGW shiffter last week. Glad I didn't.
George thanks for the email from you office to let me know. I talked to your people and they were very nice and seemed to be as excited as I am.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by red9r
I noticed the bottom of the box is left open compared to the enclosed stock box. What is the potential for dirt and grit to contaminate the grease that lubricates the shifter ball and the linkage shaft? It doesn't seem ideal for a daily driver and concerns me a bit for reliability and longevity. I for one wouldn't want to have to go in there and clean that up and re-lube it regularly.

I'd like to know the answer to that question
too!

Get notified of new replies

To Mgw billet lower box first production >>>

Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by red9r
I have a 2007 Z06 bought new in 2006. I installed the MGW shifter at approx 20k miles. I was in there the other day (almost 80k now) and had pulled the shifter and box from the chassis. Everything under there is still clean as a whistle. I wouldn't worry...

Z//
Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

George, I have one of your older shifters (a couple of years old I think) and I would be interested in getting the new box and shifter combo.

Can you send me a PM with the total cost shipped to 27410 (NC).

I would like to trade in my current MGW shifter for partial credit if possible.

Not in a great hurry but definitely want to do this.

Thanks, Randy Wilkinson
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 PM
newvetteguy9
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While swapping head units I will have to look at which shifter I have old or new how do I tell? Bolts on the sides?

Quick Reply: Mgw billet lower box first production >>>