C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** New Product C6 Ram Air Kit available from Top Flight Reproductions **

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by NextLevelPerformance
Well finally that guy from Next Level Performance downloaded the dyno sheets for the comparison, LOL.
Sorry about the delay everyone, it's been crazy busy around here (Thank God) and dealing with a couple of cracked ribs slowed me down this weekend, but no excuses so here is the info on the dyno testing.

First, I'd like to say the Ram Air Intake system is a very nice Intake system and it did make some very good numbers, it has very good instructions and the fitment is very nice.

Last Monday late in the day is when we did our baseline runs on Tony's Z06, it was later in the day and the outside temp was 85 degrees F with 41 percent Humidity. The numbers looked good starting at 475 and dropped to 465 as engine oil temperature went up. We made 4 runs for stock and 4 runs for the intake system, we started #1 run at 100 degrees F oil temp, #2 run at 130 degrees oil temp. #3 run at 160 degrees oil temp, and #4 run at 190 degrees oil temp. The coolant temps were stabilizing between 190 and 200 when we were testing.
Tuesday is when we installed the Ram Air Intake system and since it was raining all day and the temperatures dropped quite a bit I didn't test that day even though our Dynojet 224XLC is set to correct to SAE standards, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), USA. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque.
Wednesday later in the day is when we tested again waiting for the temperature to come up, we tested at 82 degrees F with 22 percent humidity, a little less in temp and about half the humidity but wanting to get numbers up for Tony we tested.

The numbers of just changing the stock air intake to the Ram Air Intake were very good as you will see in the following Dyno Sheet comparisons it made a 25 RWHP gain just by changing the intake, as oil temps went up the increase was right around 23 RWHP. I think some really good numbers by just changing the Intake system.

I hope this information helps everybody and again sorry for the delay, I will be putting a dyno video of Tony's Z06 on our Facebook page later today so check it out at and like our page at:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Next-...ce/79178403627

Thanks, Geoff.

Geoff Skorupa
Next Level Performance
1010 Bunnell rd. suite 1107
Altamonte Springs, Fl. 32714
ph. 407-869-7223
fx. 407-865-7223
geoff@nlperformance.com
www.nlperformance.com
"God Bless"

Don't forget to like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Next-...ce/79178403627

Geoff, you confirmed what I had already found out, that the install instructions for this CAI are very good. Was the install relatively easy and straightforward??
Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by TopSpeedNeed
I agree somewhat.. Even in the PM's I sent him, I expressed how this is the best thing that could have happened for his CAI, all thing considered, but heck, I have more in the Dyno pulls then the CAI, so I thought, a bet is a bet, and I wouldn't mind paying all the money if I lost, but, all I want is what we agreed to, AND I never asked him for any Dyno money, but, NOW, old Petey is avoiding me. Its very disappointing and I hope forum members are taking notes...
Been following this thread for a while, and I have to say I'm interested in the product, but the lack of response to you on the bet is a strong discouragement. Heck if I could guarantee a 25rwhp (or even 20rwhp) on my GS with no other mods and no tuning, I'd pay the $495 in a heartbeat. However, I have to wonder at this point if it would really give me that much of a gain. Their original claim was for a 2011 LS3, which came with the LS3/LS7 filter, whereas my '13 has an LS9 filter, so already has higher airflow. And only seeing a 24-29HP gain on your Z06 makes me think my gain would not be as good.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan70
Been following this thread for a while, and I have to say I'm interested in the product, but the lack of response to you on the bet is a strong discouragement. Heck if I could guarantee a 25rwhp (or even 20rwhp) on my GS with no other mods and no tuning, I'd pay the $495 in a heartbeat. However, I have to wonder at this point if it would really give me that much of a gain. Their original claim was for a 2011 LS3, which came with the LS3/LS7 filter, whereas my '13 has an LS9 filter, so already has higher airflow. And only seeing a 24-29HP gain on your Z06 makes me think my gain would not be as good.
I was hoping someone else would notice that beside me... Where are you Pete ??? All you have to do is follow through........
Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I was hoping someone else would notice that beside me... Where are you Pete ??? All you have to do is follow through........
You're a piece of work tony..... I've been in the hospital this week after having a hip replacement and will address this when I get out.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Tedford
Just show us back to back quarter mile times. That is the closest test that you will get to real world. Whether the car goes 185 mph or 190 is pointless as virtually none of us will have the opportunity to run flat out. Dyno numbers can be fudged with to suit any situation.
<<<GRIN>>>

Speak for yourselves! I live in Nevada...Long, straight, 4 lane Interstates....100% visibility.....No trees to hide behind and 'to the horizon' radar and laser defuser on-board...OH..and...no 'eye in the sky'...grounded due to cost!

Well..not quite flat out, but cruising at 160 is common (For me) between towns on some stretches of I-80...seriously....horizon to horizon, 20-25 mile straight highways.

Nevada, where we still grouse about having a speed limit imposed on us back in '72! (Our legislature is batting around raising our speed limit to 80 or 85...that will be nice, if done.)

Anywho....I am going to sell my Ram Air SS....Never installed..still in box. I'll post in another thread so as not to hijack this one.

MC
Old 04-17-2014, 11:21 AM
NextLevelPerformance
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jstewart
Geoff, you confirmed what I had already found out, that the install instructions for this CAI are very good. Was the install relatively easy and straightforward??
Yes it was pretty straightforward, relatively easy, just take your time when installing. Cheers.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

This was the private message that I received from Tony after the testing was done:

"We did that with another Forum member and never got the dyno runs because he had some family health issues, How about this, you order the unit and do what you say above and if you're not happy with the unit/it does not perform as advertised I will issue you a full refund and you get to keep the unit. But you must post the results here."

So here you go, and I have to be totally honest with you, I "cannot" in total honesty say I am "unhappy" with the dyno #'s, they didn't turn out the 35 RWHP as stated, however I didn't expect the 26 to 29 either. So, that being said, since I have spent about 600 bucks in dyno pulls to verify the validity of the product, I would still love the refund since this whole ordeal will end up selling a ton of your product, and I did do what I said I was going to do.

Tony
Tony, the agreement was i would issued you a refund if you were not happy with the product/it did not perform as advertise, the numbers are very close to what is advertised and you are not "unhappy" with the product so why not just enjoy it and lets move on.

Peter C
Pete, because I spent 600 bucks on dyno pulls, that "no one" has helped me with that aspect, yet everyone wants to know the results, it would have been different if everyone chipped in, and the only thing I had to pay for was the intake, BUT, that's not the case, so, that being said, I did not bad mouth your intake, it did not get the "35 RWHP" as stated, and I assumed, you as a business man, would appreciate my honesty, am I unhappy with the results, no, is it 35 RWHP, no, I could have just PM'd you and said, "not 35, send me a check", AND, everyone in here are sold on the intake now, so I actually was good for business for ya,,,, So, would I like the 500, yes, to offset the 600 bucks in pulls, but I don't want to come off like being a jerk either, because, in all honesty, I am not,,, but, I am 1100 bucks into this thing... I am a business owner also, if the shoe were on the other foot, I would give the refund, and appreciate the professionalism, because, at the end of the day, it was very good for your business. I am the one that footed the bill to show everyone in the forum that, even though it did not get the 35 RWHP as stated, it did show from an impartial party, that you do sell a quality intake with quality results, and I guarantee, this whole thread will be copied and pasted a bunch of times. Its up to you. Could I use the money, yes, times are tough here too... Again, just to reiterate, I did not go in there screaming and yelling how I didn't get the 35 RWHP as stated. The ball is in your court now. And I promise I will go in there and tell everyone what stand up guys you are... And if you don't give me the money, I wont bad mouth you guys either, because I do believe you guys are stand up guys anyway for even allowing the transaction to happen.

Tony

Some of the interesting points from Tony's comments above are:

1. I spent 600 bucks on dyno pulls.

First of all we never said that we would pay (nor imply) for the dyno pulls, it was not part of the agreement. Shortly after receiving these PM's from Tony, jstewart asked how much did the pulls cost and Tony's comment was "Lol, to be honest, I don't know yet" but he told me earlier in the above PM's that he paid $600, my gut feel says that he'll probably pay between 250-300.

2. I "cannot" in total honesty say I am "unhappy" with the dyno #'s, they didn't turn out the 35 RWHP as stated, however I didn't expect the 26 to 29 either.

Comment from Ram Air:
It is always down to the dyno and the tuner. We got well over that in 3 independent tests here in Houston (summer time temps and humidity). In fact we just got 40rwhp on a stock LS3 and a tune at Late Model Racecraft with my business partner’s 2011 C6.

The correct way to truly test the intake is that you have to do a rolling launch at the drag strip after the dyno run. This is where the HP really comes on, but this argument is often lost on people.

3. And if you don't give me the money, I wont bad mouth you guys either, because I do believe you guys are stand up guys anyway for even allowing the transaction to happen.

Since you're happy with the unit, what I will do is offer you a check for $250 to offset some of your testing cost

Peter C.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM
NextLevelPerformance
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to throw my two cents in, no we didn't charge Tony anywhere near $600 for the dyno testing of the intake, and as far as the comment of
"It is always down to the dyno and the tuner"
we didn't do any tuning on the car, we just ran it on the dyno for comparison before and after. Thanks, Geoff.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Top Flight Reproductions
The correct way to truly test the intake is that you have to do a rolling launch at the drag strip after the dyno run. This is where the HP really comes on, but this argument is often lost on people.

Peter C.
Can you please elaborate on how this is accomplished and the collection of data used for comparison?
I've been drag racing since 1958 and never heard the term "rolling launch", but I'm willing to try it.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:47 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

The Vendor stood by his word, even if it took a bunch of emails...hats off to him for doing it, and glad it worked out for TSN. For what it's worth, if I didn't have the Halltech Superbee, I'd buy this. Pretty good results--and proven by the dyno.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Interfering posts have been deleted. If you have an issue from a past order or which to post a complaint do so by posting a dispute thread as outlined in the rules. Better yet, contact the vendor offline.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Now that a vacation has been handed out, take your interfering comments out of this thread.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK. So, I've read through this thread and it seems that this CAI is a winner. 24-29 HP on a Z06. Supposedly 35HP increase on the LS3. But only 15HP on the LS2. Can someone explain this? Considering the poor air intake of the LS2, I'd think the Ram Air would have a larger increase in HP than on the LS3 which has a far superior stock air intake to the LS2 intake. Any thoughts?

Also, is a custom tune necessary to run the Ram Air?

From the website (Top Flight)

Back it up with test results. Airflow test Results for the C6 Corvette flowed 35% more airflow than the original factory intake system. The chassis dyno tests indicated an increase of 15 rwhp on an otherwise-stock LS2. The C6 Ls3 performance increased by 35 rwhp. All that by installing the Ram Air intake into a stock C6 coupe.

Then there is this from the RamAir website

The chassis dyno tests indicated an increase of 15 rwhp on an otherwise-stock LS2. At the dragstrip, the same stock C6 Corvette dropped its 1/4-mile ET time by four full tenths
http://ramairss.com/complete-ls2-c6-...am-air-system/

Does 15 RWHP translate to dropping .4 off the 1/4 mile time? Thoughts?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Enterprisehunter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just installed the Ram Air SS in my 09 A6 Base LS3 before I got a tune & headers. No surging at all. I was worried after what some had said, but no surging. Base dyno run before tune & headers with air ram ss 417.7 rwhp (I don't think the car had that power before). Final run (7th) of the day after tune and new long tube headers w/cats 446.3 rwhp. From the numbers it seems the Ram Air SS gave me more rwhp than headers and a tune. I am very happy with the results. Thanks Layton Curd at Ram Air for getting me the CAI before my tune appt.

Max Engine HP Run 1 = 480.4 HP Run 7 = 513.3 HP

Max Engine Torque Run 1 = 485.2 ft lbs Run 7 = 525.0 ft lbs

Last edited by Enterprisehunter; 01-21-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Enterprisehunter
I just installed the Ram Air SS in my 09 A6 Base LS3 before I got a tune & headers. No surging at all. I was worried after what some had said, but no surging. Base dyno run before tune & headers with air ram ss 417.7 rwhp (I don't think the car had that power before). Final run (7th) of the day after tune and new long tube headers w/cats 446.3 rwhp. From the numbers it seems the Ram Air SS gave me more rwhp than headers and a tune. I am very happy with the results. Thanks Layton Curd at Ram Air for getting me the CAI before my tune appt.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:21 PM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Max Engine HP Run 1 = 480.4 HP Run 7 = 513.3 HP

Max Engine Torque Run 1 = 485.2 ft lbs Run 7 = 525.0 ft lbs

On your base run with the Ram Air SS was anything else done to the car? axle back exhaust? A typical stock LS3 usually dynos out at 380rwhp right? So that would be about a 37rwhp gain if nothing else was done. The Z06 on the youtube video gained 23rwhp w/o a tune and 54rwhp with a tune which is 31rwhp from a tune alone for the CAI. Your gain with headers and tune was 29rwhp. If I may ask out of curiosity, what long tube headers did you go with?
Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Enterprisehunter
Instructor

Only thing on the car before tune with ramair was npp mufflers open (npp in a box not working at that time). Also had Granatelli wires and ngk laser plugs with new red top agm batt.

My headers r 1 3/4 with hi flow cats sold by monster Motorsports with no name. Maybe kooks or obx from pics I have seen that look similar. Main reason I went that way was I got headers installed with tune for a decent price.

Last edited by Enterprisehunter; 03-05-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ** New Product C6 Ram Air Kit available from Top Flight Reproductions **

Old 05-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I just installed this on my z06; it is a very nice product and the install wasnt too difficult. Only gripe is I did get surging and threw a CEL right away. Im hoping a tune will eliminate the CEL, but im being told that the turblence around the MAF isnt something you can tune out............I still have to see what codes its throwing.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Enterprisehunter
Instructor

Don' t worry u will b able to tune it out. I have the ram air and never had surge but got headers and tuned after. Everything is great u will gain over 50 hp.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Don' t worry u will b able to tune it out. I have the ram air and never had surge but got headers and tuned after. Everything is great u will gain over 50 hp.
sweet! Im doing a cam/heads/long tubes as well..............should be 580ish............

Quick Reply: ** New Product C6 Ram Air Kit available from Top Flight Reproductions **