C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Cbarile
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about Tpms

i bought new wheels and they have 07 sensors and my vette is a 12. I didn't want to change sensor to new wheels yet. Will anything happen using the 07 sensors in the new wheels and when I put the 2012 sensors in the new wheels will the car automatically sync back up with them? Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

'07 sensors aren't compatible with the newer, '10+, cars.

If you don't have working TPMS, you can't use Comp Mode and "may", stress "may", be speed limited to 80 mph. Some have reported that but I can't confirm if it's true for just non functioning TPMS.

The car and sensors don't "automatically" do anything, sync or otherwise. When you put your original sensors in the new wheels they will still work if you haven't programmed any other sensors in the meantime. But, if you don't put your original sensors back on the same corner they were originally on, then you will have to reprogram them to the car, ie: if you put the sensor that was on the RR on the LF without reprogramming and the LF loses pressure the car will show low RR low instead of LF low.
The following users liked this post:
C6 Victor (03-22-2020)
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

There's no automatic syncing in any case but my understanding is that they will not work with your car. BEZ06 Bob is the one who will know for sure.

Beat me to it Rick!

Last edited by cclive; 04-04-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The '07 sensors won't talk to a '12 car, but won't restrict your normal driving. You may need to push a DIC button to clear the message that pops up around the 25 minute mark. If the tires are not within the wear range (new to worn out) diameter of the original stock size front to rear ratio, then you'll also need to turn the TC off when that DIC message appears.

If you plan on swapping wheels back and forth, then purchasing clonable sensors to replace the '07 units will eliminate the syncing process. If you'd rather just sell the '12 wheels or store them until you sell the car, it'd be less hassle to simply buy new sensors for your new wheels.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 04-05-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The '12 sensors can be matched to the car by a 10 psi change in each tire in the correct order. i.e. overinflate by 10+psi and then return to normal when the syncing is done.
Just FYI. Apparently they changed that again in 2011.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
HOWEVER - apparently in January of 2011, GM changed the programming in the TPMS's of all GM vehicles that could use the air change method so that a TPMS tool will be required for all GM vehicles built in January 2011 or after (see the explanation in the GM document linked below).

http://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com...0448_rev_1.pdf

Bob
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RicK T
Oh man! It's getting harder to keep up. I'll edit my post to void the bad info.

Thanks for the update.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Actually, the change in Jan 2011 was that they started installing a different sensor.

In that quote about the change in Jan 2011, I initially thought that perhaps they had started installing a different TPMS computer in the car - or at least they changed some coding in the TPMS.

However, we've come to learn that the TPMS computer is exactly the same in all 2010-2013 C6 Vettes - at least for those built for delivery in the U.S. and Canada. If you look on the sticker of all the RPO codes on the glove box door of a 2010-2013 Vette you'll see a "UJM" in the list - that's the code for the TPMS computer in the car.

The UJM TPMS cannot understand the transmission from a 2005-2009 sensor. But, it can understand sensors with two different GM part#'s.

A green sensor (part# 15268606 - you can see that # molded into the case of the sensor in the picture below) was installed in the tires/wheels of all 2010 model year C6's and 2011 cars built through Dec 2010:

In Jan 2011 they started installing a black sensor (part# 20925924):

The TPMS computer is exactly the same in all 2010-2013 C6's, and all 2010-2013 C6's will recognize either the green or the black sensor - both sensors send out the exact same data stream of info.

HOWEVER.....when programming the sensors into the TPMS computer, the black sensor can ONLY be triggered by the signal transmitted by a TPMS tool, but the green sensor can be triggered by a tool or by changing air pressure in the tire.

The UJM TPMS and the green sensors were used in several other GM vehicles, and if your 2010-2013 C6 was in the dealership getting its sensors programmed into the TPMS, when it was put into the learn mode it started listening for the signals from your sensors to log the sensor ID#'s into the TPMS memory. However, if an HHR or Impala with the green sensors was in a bay or two down from your C6, and the mechanic was simply adjusting the tire pressure in that other car, the change in pressure would trigger the sensor to transmit out its data and your C6 would pick that up and log the wrong sensors into your TPMS.

To avoid that problem, in Jan 2011 GM began installing the black sensors into all cars coming down the assembly line that had previously used the green sensors. The black sensors won't trigger by changing air pressure, so it's much less likely that the sensor ID#'s will be programmed into the wrong car because only the transmission from a TPMS tool will trigger the black sensors.

Just FYI!!

Bob
Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Wow, I'll bet that was a nightmare for dealers when the wrong sensor got programmed in...especially since the average car owner has no idea how the system works.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question about Tpms

Quick Reply: Quick question about Tpms