C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Major problems after tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Maskedrider
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default HELP! Major problems after tune

Hi All,
I just got my car back from a local and highly recommended tuning shop in Dallas. Everything seemed great but tonight I took the car to the store and when I tried to turn on the A/C, it wasn't working. It worked fine before I had the last work done to it. Anyway, at the next stop light, I went to accelerate and the tranny wasn't engaging or changing gears. The car was hardly moving. I managed to pull over into a parking lot and turn the car off. I turned it back on and had enough to get the car home but not much else. The car was loping really bad and the tranny wasn't going. I just had the tranny rebuilt by another Corvette restoration shop with Heavy Duty components. I am totally at a loss. Does this sound like a tranny issue or a tuning issue.
I had a new cam installed, timing chain replaced, power steering cooler removed, motor mounts replaced and the car dyno tuned this week.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I am up against here?
Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 PM
b murph
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, If everthing was fine before you went to the tuner. I would give them a call, let them know whats going on and tell them to come and get it.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Since it happened right after the tune it's a good bet it's the tune.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Maskedrider
Hi All,
I just got my car back from a local and highly recommended tuning shop in Dallas. Everything seemed great but tonight I took the car to the store and when I tried to turn on the A/C, it wasn't working. It worked fine before I had the last work done to it. Anyway, at the next stop light, I went to accelerate and the tranny wasn't engaging or changing gears. The car was hardly moving. I managed to pull over into a parking lot and turn the car off. I turned it back on and had enough to get the car home but not much else. The car was loping really bad and the tranny wasn't going. I just had the tranny rebuilt by another Corvette restoration shop with Heavy Duty components. I am totally at a loss. Does this sound like a tranny issue or a tuning issue.
I had a new cam installed, timing chain replaced, power steering cooler removed, motor mounts replaced and the car dyno tuned this week.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I am up against here?
Thanks
If the engine revs normally when out of gear, neutral, then it's more likely the trany otherwise it's the engine or tune. Did it over heat?

Last edited by Mrc100; 03-08-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Sorry your having problems and I hope you get it straightened out. I dont mean to sound negative but things like this is why I keep everything under the hood the way it came from the factory. I've modded a lot of cars in the past and learned if you want it to stay reliable leave it alone.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Maskedrider
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by b murph
Well, If everthing was fine before you went to the tuner. I would give them a call, let them know whats going on and tell them to come and get it.
That goes without saying. It's already back at the tuners. They think it is a voltage problem and either the battery or alternator. They did say that they got some low voltage notifications when it was on the dyno so they did a quick charge to the battery. I wish I would have known that before I had the problem. Hopefully that's all it is. I was posting because I thought someone else may have had a similar problem and could comment. At this point I'm waiting until at least Monday when they open back up.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Sorry your having problems and I hope you get it straightened out. I dont mean to sound negative but things like this is why I keep everything under the hood the way it came from the factory. I've modded a lot of cars in the past and learned if you want it to stay reliable leave it alone.
IMO, "quality parts" + "quality tech" + "quality tune" = many many miles of trouble free fun. My 07 is near 150,000 miles on it so far. The problem with some people, is that when they mod their car, they do not follow the above formula. As always to each their own.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gering
IMO, "quality parts" + "quality tech" + "quality tune" = many many miles of trouble free fun. My 07 is near 150,000 miles on it so far. The problem with some people, is that when they mod their car, they do not follow the above formula. As always to each their own.
I completely agree! After finally dialing in my 402 F-Body with all quality parts it was basically bullet proof. 4 straight years without a single issue and I put that car through hell lol
Old 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Exactly! The LS2/LS3 engine tranny etc can take a good flogging for many many miles if you stay on top of any issues that crop up. The biggest downside is the crappy made (mostly a materials issue) connectors, seals, bolts etc GM chooses to save a few pennies per car on. You see failures even on stock cars, but the additional heat from added components, SC's, TT's etc accelerate the endlife to a point. The upside is these cars are easy to diagnose and repair with a just a fairly small amount of tools. Not to mention the parts are easy to find and not expensive compared to other high performance vehicles.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

When I read you post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, My very FIRST thought was a VOLTAGE ISSUE.. Make sure that your charging voltage is correct. 14,0 - 14,6 VDC.

Bill
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the alternator act up on mine RIGHT AFTER my cam install ? never had a problem before ? replaced it (it is not cheap) and haven't had a problem since. good luck hope you get it figured out.

som folks have had issues with voltage after swapping plugs, getting the wires close to alternator, others have had the power wire on the starter damage ?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I did a lot of mods on my old C5 and constant issues with codes, tranny not shifting correctly. When I got my 08 LS3 I saif no engine or tranny mods. Car runs perfect with 54,000 miles. I hope the op gets things working better.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

IMO, "quality parts" + "quality tech" + "quality tune" = many many miles of trouble free fun.
The problem is that the "quality tech" and "quality tune" elements of your equation are unknowns in most parts of the country.

Tom
Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
The problem is that the "quality tech" and "quality tune" elements of your equation are unknowns in most parts of the country.

Tom

But thanks to the forum, members may have better odds. I was very lucky that I found all three elements.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Maskedrider
That goes without saying. It's already back at the tuners. They think it is a voltage problem and either the battery or alternator. They did say that they got some low voltage notifications when it was on the dyno so they did a quick charge to the battery. I wish I would have known that before I had the problem. Hopefully that's all it is. I was posting because I thought someone else may have had a similar problem and could comment. At this point I'm waiting until at least Monday when they open back up.
I would ask to see those readings. Sounds like they might be saying it was F'd up before they got their hands on it. Did they do a trans tune too? If not then its possible in what they say but if they did a trans tune then Id be suspicious.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious to know why you removed the power steering cooler?

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Major problems after tune

Quick Reply: HELP! Major problems after tune