C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My corvette shop, Robbed me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'd say $700 for that much labor is not bad but I generally DIY so I'm a bit out of touch when it comes to shop prices. Given the amount of overhead an independent shop would have, $80-100/hr wouldn't be unreasonable in most locations.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems expensive to me.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

It's also normal for shops to charge a little more one way or another when you bring in your own parts too. Usually they make a decent % on marking up parts. This applies more with general shops than performance shops I'm sure, but it still can apply.

That being said I might have been a little unhappy about getting the car back with an ABS light on it didn't go in with, and if *my* guy didn't trust me enough to pay him. I wouldn't really hold it against this guy though since you've only worked with him twice.

Wouldn't say you got robbed though....

Last edited by jdhommert; 02-16-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by PRicanC6Xpress
Steve I haven't forgetten about taking the car to you. Just a little busy w work......
Congrats on the 2013 GrandSport, sign me up with the work you do
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 AM
PRicanC6Xpress
Pro

Location: From: Brooklyn Kiddo, Live in Wantagh, Long Island NY....... New York
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steve

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
Congrats on the 2013 GrandSport, sign me up with the work you do
Thank you Steve...And Yes sir, Of course...... Your it. Headers, first.

Last edited by PRicanC6Xpress; 02-17-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:29 AM
PRicanC6Xpress
Pro

Originally Posted by jdhommert
It's also normal for shops to charge a little more one way or another when you bring in your own parts too. Usually they make a decent % on marking up parts. This applies more with general shops than performance shops I'm sure, but it still can apply.

That being said I might have been a little unhappy about getting the car back with an ABS light on it didn't go in with, and if *my* guy didn't trust me enough to pay him. I wouldn't really hold it against this guy though since you've only worked with him twice.

Wouldn't say you got robbed though....
You made a valid point. Im not the kind of guy, who would take the car and not return to pay him. What gets me is I used him several months ago and my wife had taken $150.00 out of my pocket. When I was going to pay him I noticed I didn't have enough. I checked my pocket same scenerio. I left with the my car and he gave me the keys. I returned to the shop 15 minutes later. He didn't have change so now he owed me ten bucks. I stated to him hey don't worry keep it for lunch.... LOL...........
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had great success with three independent shops. One BMW only, one Euro only, and one Vette only. I never ask the cost, I always estimate, and always take 2X my estimate in CASH. When it comes time to pay the bill, I pull out 1/2 my cash and ask, "what is the cash price, I don't need a receipt?" I never have to go to the bank, atm, piggy bank, or dig a tin can out of the back yard, I am ready. I have never been screwed, have sometimes been shocked at what a great deal I get, and always have received some printed list of what's been done for my records. I have rarely paid more than 50% of what some dealer would charge, and usually a lot less. Sometime the parts could only be obtained from a dealer, so you can get pounded a little there.

I remember the guys at Christmas, and when I ever refer a customer to the shops, I personally take them to meet the guys.

I write dynamite reviews of the shops on local city forums. I try and make myself a popular guy at the shops. A box of coffee and donuts can go a long way.

Remember the Boy Scout Moto; BE PREPARED! Oops, I have to go to the bank, doesn't cut it.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

In original post it says he painted the rotors red

He only painted the calipers red, right?

Why was car towed?

Last edited by Tide Will Roll!; 02-17-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim05C6Z51
$700 doesn't seem too bad I suppose for doing the brakes, painting the calibers, installing the center console, etc. Thanks about 5-6 hours worth of work and shakes out to about $100 or a little more per hour. Sounds like you guys need to have a more clear understanding next time. I don't get the impression he tried to get one over on you.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

700.00 seems fair.

Have any of you looked at the color of your DOT3 in the Res.?
Mine was a sludgey, chunky dark brown. It took two quarts of fluid to flush out the system.
Not to mention the time.
I would have pay 200.00 just to get my brakes flushed.

When I painted my calipers, I removed them and bead cleaned them.
That would have easily been another 300.00.

An hour labor to install the rotors and an hour for the CF bezel...

700.00 would do it.

Part of the reason I do most of my own work, combined with no one I trust.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

500.00 would of been what I thinking...........
Based on what?

Shops charge $100/hr here give or take a little. That means you think it should have taken 5 hours or less for all the work he did. If it was that simple and quick perhaps you should/could have done it yourself. As others have said, I think $700 is pretty fair for what he did since that's probably less than 7 hours of work.

For the guys saying that's too much and $100/hr is way too high, you've obviously never run a shop as you have no clue what it costs.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got my calipers powder coated by a reputable vendor on here for $375 for all four. I installed them myself so not sure about what labor would be. This is the main reason I do my own maintenance to avoid issues like this unless it's under warranty. If you have to ask this question, then you probably over paid.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds reasonable price for the work done ( bear in mind there are quite a few super thrifty types on here who always want something for nothing. You might want to disregard their ideas).
Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 PM
MLCRookie
Pro

I still think the OP should have done it himself...after buying the proper tools and equipment and spending the time doing the job, I would be willing to bet the post would have been far different.

I once did an engine swap for a neighbor who was too cheap to pay the shop the 2k they wanted and then complained when I charged him $700 for the job...which started as a straight in and out swap and evolved into changing the intake and doing the brakes (both master and slave to include the proportioning valve, calipers, and wheel cylinders) because "his recollection" of the original reason why the original engine blew up didn't include the fact his brakes were locked up and he drove it home that way from work.

If you learn how to do it yourself you may never do it again, but you will have an appreciation for what the mechanic does for you. Tools ain't cheap, but for a mechanic they are a sunk cost and have a replacement cycle that also has to be factored in to any job...the DIY guy will likely never wear out a good set of tools.

Last edited by MLCRookie; 02-17-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

to be objective on any rates, you'd need the process.......

1. powder coated
2. rattle canned(without removal)
3. brush on(without removal)

either way, the car is now for sale by the OP'er

I have no involvement with the car/owner/work performed.

No opinion.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
PRicanC6Xpress
Pro

Originally Posted by Tide Will Roll!
In original post it says he painted the rotors red

He only painted the calipers red, right?

Why was car towed?
I attempting to become a mechanic and do

my own brake job. When I removed the caliper the piston came out and started flushing out brake fluid. I tried to put the piston back in but it would not go. Thats y I had the car towed....

Last edited by PRicanC6Xpress; 02-17-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I attempting to become a mechanic and do

my own brake job. When I removed the caliper the piston came out and started flushing out brake fluid. I tried to put the piston back in but it would not go. Thats y I had the car towed....
I had that happen once...
If it happened now days, I would just go get a rebuilt caliper and give them the busted one as the core.

So much easier to buy a rebuilt caliper than rebuild/fix it yourself.

Get notified of new replies

To My corvette shop, Robbed me...

Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 PM
PRicanC6Xpress
Pro

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
I have had great success with three independent shops. One BMW only, one Euro only, and one Vette only. I never ask the cost, I always estimate, and always take 2X my estimate in CASH. When it comes time to pay the bill, I pull out 1/2 my cash and ask, "what is the cash price, I don't need a receipt?" I never have to go to the bank, atm, piggy bank, or dig a tin can out of the back yard, I am ready. I have never been screwed, have sometimes been shocked at what a great deal I get, and always have received some printed list of what's been done for my records. I have rarely paid more than 50% of what some dealer would charge, and usually a lot less. Sometime the parts could only be obtained from a dealer, so you can get pounded a little there.

I remember the guys at Christmas, and when I ever refer a customer to the shops, I personally take them to meet the guys.

I write dynamite reviews of the shops on local city forums. I try and make myself a popular guy at the shops. A box of coffee and donuts can go a long way.

Remember the Boy Scout Moto; BE PREPARED! Oops, I have to go to the bank, doesn't cut it.
He gave me a price the night before what, what are you talking about.... I tried to haggle him down that night.....
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 PM
MLCRookie
Pro

I attempting to become a mechanic and do my own brake job.

For that statement right there I wish you lived closer, I and a few friends would be willing to help simply because you want to learn. This is my first Vette, but I have been wrenching on my own stuff my whole life...from motorcycles to cars and trucks to race cars...once you learn the basics, you will understand a lot more. One piece of advice, when you buy tools, don't be cheap...buy quality and keep them organized and they will last you a lifetime!

Also, with any brake job or brake fluid related stuff, PROTECT YOUR PAINT!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 PM
PRicanC6Xpress
Pro

Default Holy christ

Originally Posted by MLCRookie

For that statement right there I wish you lived closer, I and a few friends would be willing to help simply because you want to learn. This is my first Vette, but I have been wrenching on my own stuff my whole life...from motorcycles to cars and trucks to race cars...once you learn the basics, you will understand a lot more. One piece of advice, when you buy tools, don't be cheap...buy quality and keep them organized and they will last you a lifetime!

Also, with any brake job or brake fluid related stuff, PROTECT YOUR PAINT!!!
I wish that were true, I was thinking of taking up a course like wyotech, etc.... To learn how to do all this stuff I would like to get done... If I knew what most of you guys know. I would have done a ton of stuff to my car...I would have purchased a lift.

Quick Reply: My corvette shop, Robbed me...