C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM
roadracer685
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cold air intake

looking to buy a cold air intake for my c6 looking for some input thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

LG has a new one that is really killer and I think there a group buy special going on.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/product...oducts_id=2367

Last edited by timd38; 02-10-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Callaway, Vararam, or Halltech.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Halltech(KillerB) and Vararam you will hear the most about.
Not wanting to be a smartazz, but if you hit the search button, in the red area at the top of this page, and type in 'cold air intakes' you can read for a couple of days about the subject.

Larry
Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadracer685
looking to buy a cold air intake for my c6 looking for some input thanks
I did the cut the shroud method with the Airaid unit, with the non oiled synthetic filter. Then added the "bee hive " cover to top it off. Works well. [ bee hive is from a different manufacturer , slight modification required ] .

Last edited by REVAK; 02-10-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does a CIA hurt the engine? I was told it leans it out. I am still under factory warranty and don't want to do a custom tune.
I would think the cumputer will adjust fuel mixture.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 PM
roadracer685
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lebvette
Halltech(KillerB) and Vararam you will hear the most about.
Not wanting to be a smartazz, but if you hit the search button, in the red area at the top of this page, and type in 'cold air intakes' you can read for a couple of days about the subject.

Larry
Ya thought of that after i posted but thanks everyone!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 546 Likes on 385 Posts

My tuner said that you want to do a tune after a CAI. with just the cai it restricts the motor..
Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default I would try it out first to see how it runs!

It seems like you need to have your car tuned by a ($) professional ($) every time you do anything to your car. I think not! and this is my laymen reasoning.

1) Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of the PCM/ECM is that it has the ability/programing to either lean or richen the air fuel ratio by as much as 25% in GM cars, other brands are over 30%. The reason for this is that less fuel would be required say on hot summer days and more fuel on cold winter days. Also these cars are sold just about everywhere with the same programing for the most part.

2) My own personal experience: I added "only" a CAI (my own design OEM "Home Made" CAI) and picked up 2 mph in the 1/4 mile and 3 tenths of a second from my best pure stock to my best CAI time.

I did not get a DIC light after the CAI install which means no trouble codes and the car ran fine/better.

Cooler/denser air from the outside will make more power than hot air from under the hood also the computer can pull timing/performance out of the engine when the measured air temp gets to 86 degrees and the underhood temp goes way beyond that a lot of the time which would pull even more timing out.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-12-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 AM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

No tune needed with Halltech mf103, well worth the price and cleans up the engine bay with the beehive.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

The Hallech MF 103 has track proven results.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Man
It seems like you need to have your car tuned by a ($) professional ($) every time you do anything to your car. I think not! and this is my laymen reasoning.

1) Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of the PCM/ECM is that it has the ability/programing to either lean or richen the air fuel ratio by as much as 25% in GM cars, other brands are over 30%. The reason for this is that less fuel would be required say on hot summer days and more fuel on cold winter days. Also these cars are sold just about everywhere with the same programing for the most part.

2) My own personal experience: I added "only" a CAI (my own design OEM "Home Made" CAI) and picked up 2 mph in the 1/4 mile and 3 tenths of a second from my best pure stock to my best CAI time.

I did not get a DIC light after the CAI install which means no trouble codes and the car ran fine/better.

Cooler/denser air from the outside will make more power than hot air from under the hood also the computer can pull timing/performance out of the engine when the measured air temp gets to 86 degrees and the underhood temp goes way beyond that a lot of the time which would pull even more timing out.
Ok, you are right and wrong if that makes sense. As far as having to re calibrate it really depends on what you are bolting it onto and which one you are using. The LS3 could absolutely use a re-calibration for anything being bolted on.
The PCM has the ability to trim +/- up to 25% in closed loop operation. This means when the PCM is reading the feedback of the O2's it has the ability to apply a Short term trim. These short terms will turn into Long term trims if the PCM is seeing this as a needed change. But lets say that the PCM is adding fuel in closed loop, that Long term trim will carry over to WOT but you have no idea what it is really doing and the PCM does not have any feedback on it. So it is better to calibrate it and be done.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Ok, you are right and wrong if that makes sense. As far as having to re calibrate it really depends on what you are bolting it onto and which one you are using. The LS3 could absolutely use a re-calibration for anything being bolted on.
The PCM has the ability to trim +/- up to 25% in closed loop operation. This means when the PCM is reading the feedback of the O2's it has the ability to apply a Short term trim. These short terms will turn into Long term trims if the PCM is seeing this as a needed change. But lets say that the PCM is adding fuel in closed loop, that Long term trim will carry over to WOT but you have no idea what it is really doing and the PCM does not have any feedback on it. So it is better to calibrate it and be done.
You could add a Wide Band set-up like the Powerdex AFX air fuel monitor made by NGK Spark Plugs at a reasonable price to read your AFR to see where you are and also use it to do your own tuning if you have something like a DiabloSport Intune, etc.

PS: If your car is running lean and it's out of the PCM adjustment capabilities then the DIC will throw a light/code from what I have read.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Positive LTFT's will carry over to the PE (power enrichment or WOT or open loop). The PE's values are programmed in the tune to deliver a specific A/F ratio at a given rpm. Additional fuel metering from positive LTFT's will richen those values in PE. This is why you will see maximum hp gains when a CAI install is followed by a tune.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand max power comes from an aftermarket tune after I install a CIA. The question was will the CIA alone cause engine damage?
If I drive in Denver on a 100 degree day, come over a 9000 ft pass, or drive at sea level in 40 degree temps. my computer has to adjust to those conditions. It seems logical that there is more A/F mixture change necessary there than adding a CIA. The car has to handle that.
Just my simple minded logic.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 PM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

I have a Breathless Performanc CAI that I just took off my 08 LS3. This is a true CAI and is complete with the cut stock shroud. My car ran 10.9 with only bolt-on's and this CAI and 10.7 with a cam. I just removed it and installed a supercharger. I'll let it go cheap. I also have a spare filter element that goes along with it. I'll take $175 for everything..plus shipping, If your interested either PM me or call 561 654 4247. This set up works as well as the VaraRam without the problems of poor workmanship and possible water injestion. Thanks Mike

Last edited by theofel; 02-15-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timd38
LG has a new one that is really killer and I think there a group buy special going on.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/product...oducts_id=2367
Holy WTF price Batman.

Sorry, but that much for an intake is absolutely ridiculous, especially when there are tons of intakes for the C6 that do the job only slightly worse or just as well.

Get notified of new replies

To cold air intake

Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

went with a z06 and attack blue filter..works great .,looks factory and no issues..pick a used one from the forum

Last edited by bud miller; 02-14-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
The Hallech MF 103 has track proven results.
I was going to say the same thing about the Vararam.

They both perform well.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket-J
It seems logical that there is more A/F mixture change necessary there than adding a CAI.
The main reason for a tune is any such modification changes how the MAF sensor reads airflow, possibly leading to lean conditions (especially in open-loop mode).

Quick Reply: cold air intake