C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plugs.

Are factory plugs 'fine wire' or fat tipped?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketchum
Are factory plugs 'fine wire' or fat tipped?
The factory AC Delco 41-110 (LS3) & 41-104 (LS7/LS9) have the fine wire (Iridium) tip. The two plugs are basically the same with the 41-104 being a step colder, both plugs gaped @ .040. They are very high quality plugs and due to materials/construction GM saids they should last 100,000 miles as the car comes from the factory with "outstanding" performance and no charging system problems as some other brand/style plugs have caused in the Corvette.

PS: It takes less voltage to fire the Iridium plugs over a standard plug, so they will fire when another type of plug may not in extreme conditions. Iridium is harder and can take more heat before it melts than the other plug materials.

Personal Note: I have heard people say their cars even idle better when they change to this style of plug and I believe Mopar got an extra 20 hp with no other changes in testing one of their high performance engines. I have tested this "style" of plug against some of the other style plugs and found the Iridium to perform better for me in every way. I guess you can tell I like these plugs.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-05-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the reply. I use them my other vehicles. Yes better idle,tad better fuel mileage. Was curious if they were used in the vette. If they were not they were going to be. LOL. There was a post on this forum about MSD about MSD plug wires. After installing the poster said he had charge system issues.
He finally found a loose connector on the MSD wire at a \plug. Fixed that and charge sytem issue was corrected. Its not just plugs that can cause a issue. Amazing what stray millivolts can do.

Last edited by Ketchum; 02-05-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plugs.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs.