C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joe_G has a new whip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
No arguement that for you it makes all kind of sense. I was just responding to the guy I quoted above. We have but one toll road in my local area and they charge whether you are driving a Prius or a dump truck. No free pass for hybrids here.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Looks like I better avoid tanks...

The 289,000 Prius did great....until they blew the engine up on the race track - they should have checked the oil!

Have to tip your hat to the Prius, door works after being smashed by a tank.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Joe_G has ANOTHER new whip

With all the tolls and gas I've saved with the Prius, I was able to pick up this little beauty. Well my wife signed off on that math anyway.

Now my goal is to figure our how to our a Qtp electric cutout on this baby. So like the Vette, I can leave the neighborhood quietly and open it up on the road....as I have to adopt a new motto, loud pipes save lives.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:47 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Nice bike and I totally agree on the loud pipes motto. With the sheer number of distracted drivers(cell texters/talkers) sharing our roads nowadays it's never been more dangerous to be a bike rider. It's important to be seen and heard.

On a lighter note, thanks for the entertaining thread and I have gained a new found respect for the prius.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by brewcitygymratt
Nice bike and I totally agree on the loud pipes motto. With the sheer number of distracted drivers(cell texters/talkers) sharing our roads nowadays it's never been more dangerous to be a bike rider. It's important to be seen and heard.

On a lighter note, thanks for the entertaining thread and I have gained a new found respect for the prius.
Thanks for the kind words...yes the thread was a little tongue in cheek, but I continue to be amazed by the technology in the Prius - it opened my eyes and thought some of my internet Vette friends might be interested. Without trying it gets 52 mpg...my gasoline cost has dropped by hundreds of dollars a month, from filling up once a week to once every 3 weeks or more, and spending $35 on a fill up vs $80 in the truck or Vette.

My son notices how when we drive the Prius, nobody, but nobody notices it, but when we are in the Vette we are the center of attention at stop lights. Since I won't ride him on the bike he doesn't know how a Harley is REALLY the center of attention at stoplights, each time I look around folks are checking it out. Maybe they are mad at the rumble drowning out their rap music.

A perhaps unseen corollary of the story is, if you have crime in mind, drive a Prius. Nobody notices you and you can go 600 miles before having to stop for gas.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Ursoboostd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still really enjoying my Prius also.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Ursoboostd
I'm still really enjoying my Prius also.
Me too...I got 56 mpg last tank, AC on the entire time and not driving slow. I just giggle when I go 560 miles on 9.75 gallons. I've learned how to get 54+ just about all the time. My gas bill has dropped to $75 a month vs $400.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:02 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
With all the tolls and gas I've saved with the Prius, I was able to pick up this little beauty. Well my wife signed off on that math anyway.

Now my goal is to figure our how to our a Qtp electric cutout on this baby. So like the Vette, I can leave the neighborhood quietly and open it up on the road....as I have to adopt a new motto, loud pipes save lives.

Joe just seen this, welcome to the RUB club it got to crazy out there, when i bought mine, i put 18,000 miles the first year, then the almost accidents happened everyday
Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Joe just seen this, welcome to the RUB club it got to crazy out there, when i bought mine, i put 18,000 miles the first year, then the almost accidents happened everyday
Didn't know you are a rider Dennis...very cool. I think Harleys and Vettes are natural garage mates.

Yea it's scary out there...I ride assuming everybody is going to try and hit me. I like the mental challenge of trying to guess everyone's move.

And I really do use the pipes to let people know I'm around them...on the highway the horn is useless but the pipes are LOUD at 75-80.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:41 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Didn't know you are a rider Dennis...very cool. I think Harleys and Vettes are natural garage mates.

Yea it's scary out there...I ride assuming everybody is going to try and hit me. I like the mental challenge of trying to guess everyone's move.

And I really do use the pipes to let people know I'm around them...on the highway the horn is useless but the pipes are LOUD at 75-80.
Yes I LOVE it, I had a beautiful 2001 road king classic jade green and black, my only new hog. i chromed it all out, made my own tune via power commander. changed to a lot off screaming eagle parts, changed rev limiter, it was one off a kind my oldest son got rid of his two custom sportys and bought a new 2002 roadking when he couldnt keep up and my second son bought a 2009 roadking classic, he was smart, he bought it used with only 1100 miles from a private owner who needed cash fast, i think he paid 8400 with warranty left, Mom thought i was a bad influence on them the way i ride, Fast so i got tired of hearing if they got in an accident it would be my fault, so i sold it bought her a Pontiac solstice, and never had to here that argument again now she wants me to get a trikeit aint going to happen, have fun be safe
Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Yes I LOVE it, I had a beautiful 2001 road king classic jade green and black, my only new hog. i chromed it all out, made my own tune via power commander. changed to a lot off screaming eagle parts, changed rev limiter, it was one off a kind my oldest son got rid of his two custom sportys and bought a new 2002 roadking when he couldnt keep up and my second son bought a 2009 roadking classic, he was smart, he bought it used with only 1100 miles from a private owner who needed cash fast, i think he paid 8400 with warranty left, Mom thought i was a bad influence on them the way i ride, Fast so i got tired of hearing if they got in an accident it would be my fault, so i sold it bought her a Pontiac solstice, and never had to here that argument again now she wants me to get a trikeit aint going to happen, have fun be safe
Road King is my absolute favorite. I've ridden Dynas, Softail Classics, Softail Heritage...the King has the best ride. I've heard that, didn't really believe it until I got on this bike. I asked the former owner if the speedometer was off, I was going 20 mph faster than I thought I was it's so smooth.

One of my favorite things is the sound. I'm a big cam sound kind of guy.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

[QUOTE=Joe_G;1584869080]Road King is my absolute favorite. I've ridden Dynas, Softail Classics, Softail Heritage...the King has the best ride. I've heard that, didn't really believe it until I got on this bike. I asked the former owner if the speedometer was off, I was going 20 mph faster than I thought I was it's so smooth.

One of my favorite things is the sound. I'm a big cam sound kind of guy.

[/QyOTE]
That's why its named ROAD KING sounds great
Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Joe i remember riding in the bug season with the windshield when i first got it, then without in the winter, you wouldn't believe how sore my neck would get without it
Old 09-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Joe i remember riding in the bug season with the windshield when i first got it, then without in the winter, you wouldn't believe how sore my neck would get without it
I never liked them before, only used the factory 20" on my buddy's Heritage and hated it as it was in my line of vision. This bike came with a 16" shield (on it as you can see), it was great - much more enjoyable ride. I used to ride with ear plugs due to wind noise but the shield took care of that... until I replaced the seat, put me up about 1" and the 16" shield was buffeting me like crazy, plus it wouldn't clean (they have a coating that peels after a while). I bought a factory shield on ebay as my mounts were peeling, but 20" was too high again. Just installed a custom 18" yesterday, looking forward to a ride in a bit!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I'm working on mods for your new car!!

We can do Ethanol injection!

I'm thinking reverse spoilers to lighten the car under load to reduce inertia.

I also have special fluids for BatteryFluidMonster for a new thread.

I'm on it!
Just an update to the BatteryMonster concept. The Prius has a 12 volt battery to "start" the hybrid system. As I found out, you really only need 10.6 volts to do it (that's all my OE battery had in it when I tested it), unless you listen to your radio with the car off for 20 minutes or so. Then you are stuck. Or lucky like me after waiting for a few minutes to regain enough millivolts.

Turns out the little battery in the Prius trunk is not readily available, has tiny unusual posts and is $180+. Looking at it, I noticed that it is similar size to the battery in my riding lawn mower. The 12v battery doesn't operate a starter or anything, it just powers up the hybrid system. So, $30 later with a new lawn mower battery, I'm back on the road.

And it fits like a glove. Just had to make a little spacer for the hold down as the lawn mower battery is shorter.

So.... For those fellow Vette/Prius owners in this thread, FYI you can save a lot of money on the battery if you are willing to mod a little.

The following users liked this post:
Sébast19X (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice!

I had a 1995 Civic I drove for years for the gas mileage

Quick Reply: Joe_G has a new whip...