C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joe_G has a new whip...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SeeFiveOhFun
A friend came to visit me from Florida in December and he was amazed at how many people in CA have a Prius. I hadn't realized this before but once I started to take notice, it was obvious that they're simply everywhere out here. So I researched it more and turns out Prius is the top selling car in California. Although not the most aesthetically pleasing car on the road, it's practicality speaks for itself.
A big factor in my decision is that the car rides free in the express lanes...the express lanes are a HUGE time saver here in FL...but when that price (which varies on how much traffic is in the regular lanes) reaches $7 sometimes, I grit my teeth as I drive under the SunPass collector device.

I spend between $120 and $150 a month on the express lanes...the Prius rides for free, and, if I ever go where they still have HOV lanes, I can ride in those also w/o needing a passenger.

Tax policy drives consumer actions. Don't think it doesn't.

I heard folks in CA are up in arms now that you need a pure electric car to drive in the HOV lanes flying solo.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
A big factor in my decision is that the car rides free in the express lanes...the express lanes are a HUGE time saver here in FL...but when that price (which varies on how much traffic is in the regular lanes) reaches $7 sometimes, I grit my teeth as I drive under the SunPass collector device.

I spend between $120 and $150 a month on the express lanes...the Prius rides for free, and, if I ever go where they still have HOV lanes, I can ride in those also w/o needing a passenger.

Tax policy drives consumer actions. Don't think it doesn't.

I heard folks in CA are up in arms now that you need a pure electric car to drive in the HOV lanes flying solo.
Joe, you know more about where I live than I do! Lol. I haven't heard anything about needing a pure electric for a solo pass in the HOV lanes but nothing surprises me out here. But yeah, having a carpool / express lane can really be a time saver as well as gas money. Out here, I save time and gas money splitting lanes on my motorcycle
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Joe, you know more about where I live than I do! Lol. I haven't heard anything about needing a pure electric for a solo pass in the HOV lanes but nothing surprises me out here. But yeah, having a carpool / express lane can really be a time saver as well as gas money. Out here, I save time and gas money splitting lanes on my motorcycle
A Harley was my first choice...they also ride free in the express lanes and get 50 mpg (I measured my buddy's Heritage Softtail last time I borrowed it)...and since I'm so heavily life insured, my wife approved (btw given my earning potential I'm worth more alive than dead to her...but just barely...believe me, I watch that math each year as I renew the policy) but since I grew up w/o a dad, I thought I could wait 10 more years to get a Harley to drive to/from work on I-95. My kids are still young. In 10 years they won't care what dad does anymore and by then I've done what good or bad I can do in raising them, for the most part.

My buddy XZB in Sweden is upset with me - he has a 05 Vette exactly like mine except supercharged...he bought a Raptor for his daily driver...@$8 per gallon in Sweden he sends me cell phone pics of his $200+ weekly fill ups and wonders why I complain about my $80 fillups.

He also has a 03 Road King and has been pushing me to the Harley. But with small kids I just can't justify it until they are older. It's really taking your life into your hands on I-95 in FL on a bike.

Last edited by Joe_G; 02-04-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but hey whatever floats your boat
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Devilish34
but hey whatever floats your boat
I caught a great rainbow heading back from the PRI show in Orlando.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

A Harley was my first choice...they also ride free in the express lanes and get 50 mpg (I measured my buddy's Heritage Softtail last time I borrowed it)...and since I'm so heavily life insured, my wife approved (btw given my earning potential I'm worth more alive than dead to her...but just barely...believe me, I watch that math each year as I renew the policy) but since I grew up w/o a dad, I thought I could wait 10 more years to get a Harley to drive to/from work on I-95. My kids are still young. In 10 years they won't care what dad does anymore and by then I've done what good or bad I can do in raising them, for the most part.

My buddy XZB in Sweden is upset with me - he has a 05 Vette exactly like mine except supercharged...he bought a Raptor for his daily driver...@$8 per gallon in Sweden he sends me cell phone pics of his $200+ weekly fill ups and wonders why I complain about my $80 fillups.

He also has a 03 Road King and has been pushing me to the Harley. But with small kids I just can't justify it until they are older. It's really taking your life into your hands on I-95 in FL on a bike.
Definitely have to be careful on a bike. I grew up on the Space Coast and have traveled up-n-down I-95 many times. It's really changed over the last several years - more lanes last time I was in town - starting to look like Cali!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Definitely have to be careful on a bike. I grew up on the Space Coast and have traveled up-n-down I-95 many times. It's really changed over the last several years - more lanes last time I was in town - starting to look like Cali!
Yea and from Fort Lauderdale to Miami, they took 5 lanes and made 7 by making them narrower..with the hills (over roads) and bends in the highway, it's bad. People in FL have enough trouble with flat straight roads...when you add hills where people are stopped over the next hill and curves which means you actually have to steer the car with something besides your knee (which is a problem since you need both thumbs to text), well, it's dangerous.

Plus while I normally would never complain about the fact that for all practical purposes, we have no speed limits here, it's pretty bad not having speed limits. On the Turnpike, if you get a stretch of open highway, you really need to be 85-90 or you're going to be run over.

p.s. the Prius got up to 85 today before I had to let out. I will find a safe spot in Mexico and see how close i can come to my in car video in the Vette which touched 185 at the rev limiter...on a runway of course during the Miami Mile event.

Last edited by Joe_G; 02-04-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Yea and from Fort Lauderdale to Miami, they took 5 lanes and made 7 by making them narrower..with the hills (over roads) and bends in the highway, it's bad. People in FL have enough trouble with flat straight roads...when you add hills where people are stopped over the next hill and curves which means you actually have to steer the car with something besides your knee (which is a problem since you need both thumbs to text), well, it's dangerous.

Plus while I normally would never complain about the fact that for all practical purposes, we have no speed limits here, it's pretty bad not having speed limits. On the Turnpike, if you get a stretch of open highway, you really need to be 85-90 or you're going to be run over.

p.s. the Prius got up to 85 today before I had to let out. I will find a safe spot in Mexico and see how close i can come to my in car video in the Vette which touched 185 at the rev limiter...on a runway of course during the Miami Mile event.

That b*tch sounds evil!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I caught a great rainbow heading back from the PRI show in Orlando.

yeah, we have alot of them in Orlando....
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

What does Corvetteforum think...caps or no caps?

Think I should paint the wheels black?
Originally Posted by *Ragin Cajun*
Removing the hubcaps will hurt your mpg, although slightly.

get some wheel fans like the old Le mans cars had
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM
*Ragin Cajun*
Racer

Pressurize your tires above 40 for best MPGs. Try to leave it in ECO mode as much as possible. It helps keep your foot out of the POWER range. If you have a smartphone, go to Amazon and buy a bluetooth OBD2 adapter. Go to the market on your phone and get the Torque app. You can look at all the parameters of the car while driving to get the maximum MPG out of it. Heres mine....

Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

^^^^ whoa...this is awesome!

Torque isn't offered for the iPhone but Engine link is, which looks similar.

I can use this in the vette as well...great post.

What Bluetooth obdii are you using?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Does HPT offer support for the Prius?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JUIC3D
Does HPT offer support for the Prius?
Not that I'm aware of, but I wish it did.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
*Ragin Cajun*
Racer

^^^^ whoa...this is awesome!

Torque isn't offered for the iPhone but Engine link is, which looks similar.

I can use this in the vette as well...great post.

What Bluetooth obdii are you using?
This is the one that I have.

Amazon Amazon

Im not sure if its Iphone compatible or not. I havent tried in in my vette yet but its on my list.

Heres an excellent video of how our Prii transaxle operates.

Last edited by *Ragin Cajun*; 02-05-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Awesome. I just bought one. Thanks for the hot tip and the video!

What a great forum.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM
*Ragin Cajun*
Racer

If you want something different try one of these.

Get notified of new replies

To Joe_G has a new whip...

Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

^^^ wow what is that? Looks cool.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

My friend in Sweden told me today he would pay for a QTP cutout in the Prius.

Spoke to Barry, owner of QTP...he said he would work me a special deal to do some RnD on the Prius....he sold one to a guy looking for more mileage but hasn't seen install videos.

I'm planning to do install video like the one below, and before and after track time and mileage.

Don't think it's gonna sound this good......

Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My friend in Sweden told me today he would pay for a QTP cutout in the Prius.

Spoke to Barry, owner of QTP...he said he would work me a special deal to do some RnD on the Prius....he sold one to a guy looking for more mileage but hasn't seen install videos.

I'm planning to do install video like the one below, and before and after track time and mileage.

Don't think it's gonna sound this good......

So put a speaker in the back of the Prius and play that video sound at stoplights.

Quick Reply: Joe_G has a new whip...