C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRLs on C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DRLs on C6

I noticed the C7 has DRLs (Daytime Running Leds) in the headlights. Those are cool. Is there a tastefully way to add DRLs to a C6 either in the headlights, fog lights or outside in the front bumper area? Any pictures from anyone who has done it?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 PM
RedlineShiftRepeat
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mundo
I noticed the C7 has DRLs (Daytime Running Leds) in the headlights. Those are cool. Is there a tastefully way to add DRLs to a C6 either in the headlights, fog lights or outside in the front bumper area? Any pictures from anyone who has done it?
Of course, you technically have DRLs as it stands, but they're just the amber marker lights. I did a triton V3 LED switchback conversion and I now have very bright white DRLs instead of the regular filament bulb amber markers. And as you may already know, the switchbacks allow for an amber (read: street legal) turn signal flash.

The only pic I have right now is below, which only shows it compared to the HID headlight. But that should help give an idea of how bright it is. I'll get some daytime photos of the DRL mode asap if you're interested.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineShiftRepeat
Of course, you technically have DRLs as it stands, but they're just the amber marker lights. I did a triton V3 LED switchback conversion and I now have very bright white DRLs instead of the regular filament bulb amber markers. And as you may already know, the switchbacks allow for an amber (read: street legal) turn signal flash.

The only pic I have right now is below, which only shows it compared to the HID headlight. But that should help give an idea of how bright it is. I'll get some daytime photos of the DRL mode asap if you're interested.
HI, RedlineShiftRepeat
I have a 2008 C6 and was thinking of the 5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM and wondered if that was the kit you installed? If so how much of a job is it? Besides the kit I would need to purchase the base adapters also correct?
I've not even looked up the bulb type or anything yet but noticed your post and then went to their website to look at the kit.
How long did it take you to install? Would you by any chance have a .PDF file of the installation instructions for the kit?
I contacted their support at VLEDS Sales [sales@v-leds.com] and they replied "We do not have firsthand experience installing them on the Corvette but from the feedback we've received from other Corvette owners it's a pretty straight forward install. 5K would be the best match to 4300K HID."
I was shocked that's all they said! I would think if they are really wanting to sell the product to the massive amount of Corvette owners out there the would have provided me with more information!

UPDATE **I'll have to update that their support has been emailing me back and forth now for over 1/2 hour or so past 7 PM CST on a Friday night answering questions I was asking so I'd have to say they want to help and give me the information they do have.
I'm just surprised they've never demo installed on any Corvettes.

RedlineShiftRepeat, Thanks for the reply in advance and I'll be waiting to hear back from you before I order.
I love yours!
Looks great!

David

Last edited by davidnclearlaketx; 01-10-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM
RedlineShiftRepeat
Cruising

davidnclearlaketx,

I've got some answers for ya...

Yes, I installed the 5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM.

It's super easy - see photos and comments below.

Yes, you need base adapters. For the DRL/Turn Signal lamp on a C6, you will need the 3157 base adapter (1 Pair).

The kit-provided installation instructions only cover the attachment of the base adapters to the light bulbs themselves. Nothing else.

The install is basically as simple as changing the bulb, with an added twist of mounting the control box. (There is a separate thread with pictures on how to change the bulb if this isn't clear enough).
You don't need to remove the tires, but you will definitely need to raise the front end to create some work space. Below are some of my install photos. (I can't seem to insert images / attachments and then add captions, so someone feel free to school me here.)

1.) Passenger side raised for working area

2.) Flap covering back of light housing - you won't need to remove all of the push pins as you can see in the next photo.

3.) V3 box ready for mounting - I just happened to have some small bolts/nuts around that just fit. I drilled a small hole in the plastic panel on the inboard side of the headlight. The plastic panel is easily accessible with the hood up. Drilling a small hole to mount the V3 box is barely noticeable.

4 Left) Passenger side V3 box installed
4 Right) Driver side V3 box installed.

5.) Note the V3 bulbs will have some extra length to them, such that you'll have them pushing back on the flap as shown here. There's nothing to worry - the V3's come with gaskets to seal the new bulbs to the headlight housing.

If there's any questions. Let me know. It's very straightforward on you get started.
Attached Images       
Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 PM
RedlineShiftRepeat
Cruising

And some pictures of the DRLs outdoors.... (they're really bright, but I def like the updated look)
Attached Images     
Old 01-13-2014, 12:05 AM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

And some pictures of the DRLs outdoors.... (they're really bright, but I def like the updated look)
Excellent information!
Thank you so much for taking the time to email and post up this.
One other question, did you use the optional 50% dimmer wire?
I like the bright look also!
When the blinkers are on I'd assume the yellow flashers are very bright also?
I'm going to email you this in case you don't check the forum tonight.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to do this post/pics!
I'll order them tomorrow!
Have a great night!
David
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 AM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Hi, just sent you an email back, two actually.
Thanks again for taking the time for all the excellent info.
This '08 beast is a new animal compared to my '88 Z52 I have!

I'm with you I like all the light I can get so I probably won't use than 50% dimmer wire thing.

You car looks great! You must be like me on only drive on sunny, nice weekends.
I can't wait till the weather starts clearing up so I can take a few road trips!
I'm only had her up to 140 MPH so far.... looking forward to a new wide open tollway they have near Austin or the one by West Houston that the Hennessy video going 200+ was closed up and the did the driveby there on that. ;-)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
RedlineShiftRepeat
Cruising

Originally Posted by davidnclearlaketx
Excellent information!
Thank you so much for taking the time to email and post up this.
One other question, did you use the optional 50% dimmer wire?
I like the bright look also!
When the blinkers are on I'd assume the yellow flashers are very bright also?
I'm going to email you this in case you don't check the forum tonight.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to do this post/pics!
I'll order them tomorrow!
Have a great night!
David
I played with the dimmer wire, but I didn't want to tap into my headlight wiring so I was left with either full-time bright or full-time dim. The dimmer mode actually matches the headlights a good bit better than the full bright, but I thought I'd run with the full bright for a while and see how I like it. (Or perhaps I was just getting lazy and didn't want to run a 12-volt wire over to each light.... - I am NOT a fan of tapping into existing, well-taped, covered and bundled factory wiring - PITA)

The amber turns are sharp-looking. It's a great kit. Let's just see if it holds up....

Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Sounds good!
Yea, I know what you mean about tapping into factory wiring. I'll just do what you did and see how it goes or maybe make it dimmed all the time.
I appreciate all the info!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Outlaw2013
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any concerns of burning anything up or blowing relays and fuses?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:08 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

I played with the dimmer wire, but I didn't want to tap into my headlight wiring so I was left with either full-time bright or full-time dim. The dimmer mode actually matches the headlights a good bit better than the full bright, but I thought I'd run with the full bright for a while and see how I like it. (Or perhaps I was just getting lazy and didn't want to run a 12-volt wire over to each light.... - I am NOT a fan of tapping into existing, well-taped, covered and bundled factory wiring - PITA)

The amber turns are sharp-looking. It's a great kit. Let's just see if it holds up....

One more thing to bug you.. if/when you get some free time would you mind posting a pic with your HID headlights on as well as the white LED's on please. And one with the amber blinker on also if you are in the picture taking mood....
:-)
I see from the other pics the LED's are really bright and I was thinking about the dimmer wire if I could tap into the aftermarket wiring harness to 50% dim always, in case after doing what you did and running max brightness all the time was not for me.

I see that small gap of the flap meeting the inner fender well and wonder what a thin strip of that heavy duty Gorilla Duct tape just about an 1/2 to 1 inch wide to close the gap?
I'd have to clean mine good with alcohol since I used to spray that "Hot Shine" tire dressing up in there when I did the tires so it's pretty slippery up there.......

I'm for sure with you about it being a PITA and not wanting to run the headlight wires for both sides. I'm seeing the older I get the more lazy I get when completing projects...

Last edited by davidnclearlaketx; 01-16-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Originally Posted by Outlaw2013
Hopefully the designer of these have taken into account the current drain (in amps) for the standard incandescent bulbs and designed around that to keep their setup below or within the limits of the normal 3157 bulb current draw.

If we see an urgent post from RedlineShiftRepeat who's got them installed now we'll know!

He's posted some great info and if you email or contact the support from this company they will reply promptly with any concerns you have.
It is suppose to be good weather down here in TX for at least the next couple of weeks so I was going to order this week and install (hopefully) soon after they arrive.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:12 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

I just looked up the stock (GE Lighting) bulb specs 4157NA/3157 DLR bulbs and the current drawn is 2230/590mA. The larger value is when brightest(blinking/turn or braking-depending on bulb application) and the lower value is the always on value.
So hopefully the designer of these super bright LED's are configured to not overload anything.
The kit is pretty much universal as far as things go and I've not heard of anything negative about it yet.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:21 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

I love your car and the looks of those LED's!
Those darn things are BRIGHT! Looks great!!
I wonder if they make a good kit for the fog lights to convert to LED or HID? Wonder how much hassle that would be?

I've not even looked into how to get to the fog lamps yet...

Like I said before I'm used to my '88 and who would think of removing a flap on an inner fender well just to replace a bulb!

I recently replaced on another vehicle of mine the backup (1156) bulbs with 7 W CREE LED bulbs and they are super bright!
I wonder how difficult it is to get to the backup lights on the 2008?
..more reading and research....
..it never ends!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Outlaw2013
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pictures look great. Looks like a factory match to the headlight and what should have been there from the start. Bright orange bulbs and markers on my white car need to go.

Also looks like your running on some maypops up front in one of those pictures. :p
Old 01-17-2014, 02:39 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

The pictures look great. Looks like a factory match to the headlight and what should have been there from the start. Bright orange bulbs and markers on my white car need to go.

Also looks like your running on some maypops up front in one of those pictures. :p

I ordered mine yesterday so hopefully they will ship today and when I get them sometime next week the fun starts!
Hopefully all the useful info that RedlineShiftRepeat posted up will make things go smooth for me!
I'll put up some pics when I finish mine.

*update*
Kit came in and they look great in the box!
Now the fun begins!
Seems like now days those projects that used to take a few minutes takes hours... old age I guess..

Looking forward to installing them ASAP.

I guess next upgrade will be the HID fog lamp swap.
I'm just wondering about that one though since the HID bulbs generate more heat than the halogen/incandescent bulbs I don't want it to yellow or melt my fog lamp assembly lens.
I've read lots of people have done the conversion and love it.

Thanks for all the great pics and info on these DLR LED's.
Attached Images   

Last edited by davidnclearlaketx; 01-22-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

One more question for the master "RedlineShiftRepeat" did you have to focus them or just screw the base down tight (last ring before the wire coming out), to get them in focus?
Or is this not necessary?
Also I think I read somewhere that one large and one small rubber washer did the job?
Do you remember which ones you used?
Two or three screws? Did you use the ones in the kit or go 1mm longer?

Thanks again!
David

Last edited by davidnclearlaketx; 01-22-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: questions again..

Get notified of new replies

To DRLs on C6

Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 AM
Titan C6Z
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4943
Size:  35.0 KB
I got 6000K HID Lows, 6000K fog lights combo (#1805) and DRL LED switchbacks (#1573) from corvettemods.com. Big difference with improved lighting to me. Longest I've used lights are 1+ hour, no problems with heat or melting. Used instructions that came with package and watched youtube videos for C6 headlights/fog lights install.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:59 AM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Originally Posted by Titan C6Z
Attachment 47761270
I got 6000K HID Lows, 6000K fog lights combo (#1805) and DRL LED switchbacks (#1573) from corvettemods.com. Big difference with improved lighting to me. Longest I've used lights are 1+ hour, no problems with heat or melting. Used instructions that came with package and watched youtube videos for C6 headlights/fog lights install.
Thanks Titan C6Z for the info and the pic!
Looks great! Very bright! That is what I'm looking for!
Did you notice much of a decrease in brightness from changing from the stock 4300K HID's to the 6000K? Just a slight blueish tint?
Your car looks great! Nice lights!
Thanks again for the info!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 AM
Titan C6Z
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2267
Size:  32.5 KB
No blue tint. 6000K are super whites. 8000K are the blues. Did not have to re aim because there are screws that keep bulbs aimed in place. You'd have to unscrew those to change the aim.

Quick Reply: DRLs on C6