C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a high speed vibration be caused by a screw in my rear tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:41 PM
SlowVet05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Could a high speed vibration be caused by a screw in my rear tire?

Could a high speed (75mph) vibration be caused by a screw in my rear tire? I posted a while ago, but have not had time to take my car in to a shop to have it looked at. I get a vibration above 75mph and have had the tires balanced and that didn't fix it.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default No!

Originally Posted by SlowVet05
Could a high speed (75mph) vibration be caused by a screw in my rear tire? I posted a while ago, but have not had time to take my car in to a shop to have it looked at. I get a vibration above 75mph and have had the tires balanced and that didn't fix it.
I don't know for sure,but I wouldn't think a nail would produce a vibration.I would jack up the front end and move the tires back and forth and see if there is any play in the wheels.When is the last time you had your front end aligned?Are the tires worn on the inside or outside?I had a vibration in the front of my car,but the tires were worn.Rplacing them with Michelins corrected my problem.Rod:flag :
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

you had the tires balanced with a screw in them?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
SlowVet05
Racer

Originally Posted by carlrx7
you had the tires balanced with a screw in them?
Yes, I had the tires balanced a few weeks ago and I didn't know there was a screw in them. I noticed it the other day when I was looking at my car.

Update: I took my car to Big O today and they thought one of my rear tires had Fix-It-Flat in it. They took the tire off the rim and about a 1/2 gallon if Fix-It-Flat poured out. Smooth as butter now above 80 mph.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowVet05
Yes, I had the tires balanced a few weeks ago and I didn't know there was a screw in them. I noticed it the other day when I was looking at my car.

Update: I took my car to Big O today and they thought one of my rear tires had Fix-It-Flat in it. They took the tire off the rim and about a 1/2 gallon if Fix-It-Flat poured out. Smooth as butter now above 80 mph.
i'd be rather concerned about who has been taking care of your tires and/or car. if they did a fix-a-flat then i'd be real concerned that the tire has been damaged with that screw and should be replaced.

glad you got the balance problem fixed, but.... lack of knowlege on how to fix a tire would be a serious concern. a tire can be fixed (under certain conditions) but if its damaged it is no longer safe to use.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
SlowVet05
Racer

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
i'd be rather concerned about who has been taking care of your tires and/or car. if they did a fix-a-flat then i'd be real concerned that the tire has been damaged with that screw and should be replaced.

glad you got the balance problem fixed, but.... lack of knowlege on how to fix a tire would be a serious concern. a tire can be fixed (under certain conditions) but if its damaged it is no longer safe to use.
I'm ordering new tires this week.

Get notified of new replies

To Could a high speed vibration be caused by a screw in my rear tire?

Quick Reply: Could a high speed vibration be caused by a screw in my rear tire?