C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What head cam combo to use on 12 gs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM
BOO666
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default What head cam combo to use on 12 gs

It's my daily driver . I don't mind a aggressive cam but not a race cam . I'm considering mast , prc , tfs . I like the smaller runners with velocity . I could buy the more expensive heads or the same money have ported tbody , intake and heads . My goal is 550 hp . I'm looking to spend maybe 3 grand
Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BOO666
It's my daily driver . I don't mind a aggressive cam but not a race cam . I'm considering mast , prc , tfs . I like the smaller runners with velocity . I could buy the more expensive heads or the same money have ported tbody , intake and heads . My goal is 550 hp . I'm looking to spend maybe 3 grand
If your looking to spend 3k and are goin to have a shop do it you will only get a cam only set up. You would be better off doing a Cam/Fast setup.

Where are you located?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

550 rear wheel horsepower, or crank horsepower?
I don't think one can attain 550rwhp for only $3k starting from scratch with an LS3 unless you're doing all of the work yourself (including the tuning) and/or using nitrous. Especially if you're not even open to the idea of an overly aggressive/lopey cam.
And I will assume this is a manual trans GS as well? Because there's very little chance of ever achieving those numbers in a naturally aspirated automatic for only $3k.
If it is 550 crank horsepower that you seek, well that's potentially more attainable in a manual LS3 car.

On the other hand, you also don't even need to make that kind of power to have a really really fast GS, even just 450rwhp can feel/be extremely capable.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 AM
BOO666
Racer

Thanks for the replies . My gs is manual , I have pfadt headers and halltech 103 cai . The $3000 budget is just what I want to spend on the heads . Not including cam and supporting parts or labor . Is it worth it or should I buy cheaper heads and disperse the left over money to induction . I was thinking mast heads and fast intake custom cam . As stated I'm not interested in a race cam . Aggressive is fine . I live in nc . I work at a dealership and I pay half price labor and wholesale on parts so install will be done there . Unless I come across a shop that impresses me within driving range . Im really not interested in stock ported heads . I'm sure someone is use a combo they can give advice on

Last edited by BOO666; 01-13-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO don't go cheap on the heads - buy quality parts with a good reputation or DON'T buy the parts. $3K should be plenty, and I think you can get heads AND cam installed and tuned by mainstream shops for $5K or less if you shop around.

We all have been there and it costs you more in the long run; potentially a lot more. Look at any of the forum vendors here for cylinder head options, you can get good porting and head work for under $2K if you do the removal and install yourself (WCCH, Texas Speed, others). You can also buy brand-new aftermarket heads - probably a better choice with your desired power levels - and sell off your stock heads to recoup some costs getting you back into the $2000-2500 range.

If you check out some of the better shops in your area, you may find "package" deals where they'll do the head work (porting, etc) and cam install for a single price - I know I've seen packages from Livernois and others that were in the $3-4K range.

Honestly, when you start talking heads and cam - I really have to say: Pick a reputable, trusted shop who focuses on LS motors/corvettes, tell them your goals and let them guide you on how realistic it is. Your power level will need a well thought-out combination of parts, cam and tuning to deliver with good street manners; IMHO a professional install is your best choice and it sounds like you already have the appropriate budget.

Look at RPM, Livernois, etc (a forum search will help you find the most common and preferred shops - hopefully something close to you).
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 AM
BOO666
Racer

Any input on the 255 cc mast bl heads verses prc 255 cc heads ?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Audacious Nick
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Like I have stated in every thread that asks this question:
Go talk to a reputable shop that deals specifically with these things. Flowtech comes to mind. Shopping the Jegs manual isn't necessarily going to give you a fast/powerful car.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM
BOO666
Racer

I never mentioned jegs . I'm asking if some one here has any first hands on with the heads I mentioned and have a recommendation . I've built tons of sbf but my first ls . I know some heads may be similar in design but performance may not be there for one head . Some have thin walls or crack . I've been through it all . I ended up with billet heads that could take the boost I was putting through them on my last outlaw car . I'm sure someone knows these heads here . I want to spend my money once and feel good about it
Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

That last 50 hp is going to be expensive and will also turn a real sweetheart of a vette into a full blown snarlin' bitch. Hope that's what you're after. For about the same money, you can supercharge it. The snarlin' bitch would be on call and not around 24/7. The sweetheart would still be there too. 550 is a walk in the park with f/i.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM
BOO666
Racer

Lol , true
Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Audacious Nick
Racer

I never mentioned jegs . I'm asking if some one here has any first hands on with the heads I mentioned and have a recommendation . I've built tons of sbf but my first ls . I know some heads may be similar in design but performance may not be there for one head . Some have thin walls or crack . I've been through it all . I ended up with billet heads that could take the boost I was putting through them on my last outlaw car . I'm sure someone knows these heads here . I want to spend my money once and feel good about it
Jegs was a mockery to those who just google heads and cams and throw them on their car.
Again, go talk to a shop. Why would you ask random people who don't necessarily know how to spec a cam around specific heads or vice versa? You have no idea what the experience of these people are.

And if you've built so many engines, you should know by now that when you have questions, you should ask people with the knowledge to answer your questions.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

If you want a nice n/a setup you will have to pay to play. A nice set of trick flow heads, a cam that will match it, fast intake, and a good tune should net you a nice gain. Of course you will need some supporting mods but this setup won't be cheap and I don't recommend cheaping out.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
BOO666
Racer

Ok nick , if you read my post before you reply it would help . I've never asked for cam specs . Like it says I'm asking which heads are getting good feed back . Geez move on to the next thread
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Audacious Nick
Racer

Ok nick , if you read my post before you reply it would help . I've never asked for cam specs . Like it says I'm asking which heads are getting good feed back . Geez move on to the next thread
I'm aware you never asked for cam specs, but you're trying to make 550rwhp. And what does that entail? A properly setup combo. Hence, and I say again, talk to someone who know their stuff.
Ps: you do talk about a cam in your opening post. "I don't mind a aggressive cam but not a race cam"
Did you not read what you wrote?

Last edited by Audacious Nick; 01-13-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM
BOO666
Racer

An aggressive head requires a aggressive cam . I don't want a race head or cam . That's why I said smaller runners and velocity . Thanks nick . I will keep what you said in mind

Get notified of new replies

To What head cam combo to use on 12 gs

Quick Reply: What head cam combo to use on 12 gs