C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel mileage question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Fuel mileage question

How is the fuel mileage in the DIC calculated? Is it based on algorithmic calculations based on engine speed, injector pulse, air flow, etc , so it's a math determination, or is it based on actual fuel flow?
I was asking because my car is modified, ProCharger, 60# injectors, hedders, etc., and I was wondering if the fuel mileage was accurate.

Yes, I'm too lazy to do it the old fashion way!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

What kind of tune do you have in the car? Are you basing the tune on the normal .75 Litre cylinder volume or are you using a proportional tune? If the .75, then the numbers are probably pretty close.

See, ask a question, get a question!

Elmer
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Elmer,
I really don't know. The car was initially tuned by sending the ECM off to the ProCharger tuner upon initial installation, then once everything was installed, I drove the car to a local shop where a fairly conservative tune was installed. The car makes 550 rwhp, whereas I've seen cars with the same specifications as mine putting down 600+, so I know there is more in the engine, but honestly, the car is scary fast the way it currently is configured, so I probably will not seek additional power. But, not sure the basics of the tune. Not in my area of expertise.
I was just curious about the mpg accuracy.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

The reason I asked is that the E-Force SC I installed came with a tune. The tune was a proportional tune due to the limitations of the LS2 MAF and ECM. Basically, they had to lie to make it work. Well, the lie changes the cylinder volume and the "Mileage remaining" went nucking futz. I was getting 40+ instant MPG and 5-600 miles left in the tank. Sure, I believed that crap.

So, the tuner reloaded the stock tune and then tweaked the files as needed to make it work. I now get 28-29 on the highway and the miles in the tank are accurate. I really can get the 400 miles left in the tank easy.

So, What do you have? LS1? It should be ok and if the numbers on the instant MPG look reasonable, then the remaining in the tank numbers should be fine too. I'd guess that the ECM calculates via math the mileage as it knows everything going on in the engine as far as air & fuel flow.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 04-29-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel mileage question

Quick Reply: Fuel mileage question