C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 grandsport auto+cam

Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 AM
Grandsportgodzilla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 grandsport auto+cam

I want to get some more power out of my ls3 and I have saved a little money up to be able to get something. Im thinking a cam plus intake and full exhaust. My car is an auto and a daily driver so it would have to be something on the mild side. Any suggestions from you guys? this will be my first car with a cam so I am new to this. I want to get around 475whp with these mods is that do able with a mild cam?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 AM
gschub
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Performance

Change the differential gears, install 3.42 or 3.15. Where are you going to use the increased performance, street, drags, mile shoot out???? I have a 2008 C6 A6 and changed gears to 3.42's, turn 11.9et, 116mph. I choose the gear change for a number of reasons, the big one is I live in Calif., the car will not pass SMOG regs with a cam and headers. Bottom line, the gear change will wake up that LS3.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

It wont dyno 475 through an auto trans. To do that would take the same cam that would make 495-500rwhp on a manual which is about as good as it gets.

A 228/232 cam is about what would make 470rwhp on an M6 but expect your car to dyno about 445-450rwhp because its an auto.

I'd get the gears too.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
It wont dyno 475 through an auto trans. To do that would take the same cam that would make 495-500rwhp on a manual which is about as good as it gets.

A 228/232 cam is about what would make 470rwhp on an M6 but expect your car to dyno about 445-450rwhp because its an auto.

I'd get the gears too.
Spin,

I have an 07 A6 DD with a mild heads & cam package and oem convertor. I have the RPM A6 2.56 diff, since my car is a DD with the exceptional on ramp shoots and some back roads with good curves, what gear ratio do you recommend? From what I have read, I may lose some top end MPH, "which I would never see on a public road any ways". Also, with a gear swap would the trans "A6" temps go up some?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Grandsportgodzilla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks spin 445-450 at the wheels is still pretty strong thanks, im just not sure about the gear swap
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM
EVL JAKE
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I make 440 rwhp with an A6 and LS3 heads. I have an LPE Gt-11 cam, doesn't require a stall but makes good power.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Gering
Spin,

I have an 07 A6 DD with a mild heads & cam package and oem convertor. I have the RPM A6 2.56 diff, since my car is a DD with the exceptional on ramp shoots and some back roads with good curves, what gear ratio do you recommend? From what I have read, I may lose some top end MPH, "which I would never see on a public road any ways". Also, with a gear swap would the trans "A6" temps go up some?
You dont lose top end with any gear set.

What determines your top speed is the HP you make at a given rpm. If you look at a dyno sheet you will note that HP rises as you increase RPM until you hit your peak HP. If the gear set you have hits its max rpm then upshifts, your HP drops for the next gear.

When my car was H/C I wanted to hit 200mph but its top speed was limited because in 5th gear I would hit redline before 200mph, upshift to 6th, and the RPM would then drop causing a drop in HP which would be too low in 6th gear for 200mph. When I installed 4.10 gears it then increased the RPMs for 6th gear so that I would hit 200mph at 6050rpm and I did 201. With the stock 3.42's I would have hit 200mph at about 5000 rpm where my car made less power so I couldnt hit that speed. The car would then be faster 0-200 with 4.10's but may have been faster 0-180 with stock gears but may have been faster with 4.10's with 0-170....continuing this concept I would hit 155 in 4th gear with 3.42's and be faster to that speed with them, but faster to 128 in 4th gear with 4.10's because those gears would hit redline in 4th at 128.

So to answer your question, you will have faster acceleration with a bigger gear set. This is why your ET may drop in the 1/4 mile depending on what your RPM is in the gear you cross the traps at. If using 4.10's makes you cross the traps at 5500rpm, you may be faster with 3.90's.

In a drag application, you want to pick the gear set that makes you cross the traps as close to peak HP as you can be.

I would without hesitation use 3.42's on an A6. Chris Subfloor used 3.42's on his car which made an N/A pass under 10 secs and his 0-60 was about 1.98 secs. Gears dont kill traction and they dont hurt top speed. Its a matter of what top speed you are trying to optimize, what RPM your car makes peak HP at, and what tire you have. You will hear from many people that you get too much wheel spin with steeper gears but thats simply a function of making more TQ. Obvioulsy having too much power causes wheel spin but only an idiot would think youre fastest by handincapping gears. Thats about as intelligent as starting in 2nd gear to get traction. why not reduce HP to eliminate wheel spin while we are at it? that reduces wheel spin too. Obviously there is a power level and a gear that maxes out your tire's max acceleration level so in the end you dont handicap gearing, you get a better tire.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 01-04-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

What determines your top speed is the HP you make at a given rpm. If you look at a dyno sheet you will note that HP rises as you increase RPM until you hit your peak HP. If the gear set you have hits its max rpm then upshifts, your HP drops for the next gear.

When my car was H/C I wanted to hit 200mph but its top speed was limited because in 5th gear I would hit redline before 200mph, upshift to 6th, and the RPM would then drop causing a drop in HP which would be too low in 6th gear for 200mph. When I installed 4.10 gears it then increased the RPMs for 6th gear so that I would hit 200mph at 6050rpm and I did 201. With the stock 3.42's I would have hit 200mph at about 5000 rpm where my car made less power so I couldnt hit that speed. The car would then be faster 0-200 with 4.10's but may have been faster 0-180 with stock gears but may have been faster with 4.10's with 0-170....continuing this concept I would hit 155 in 4th gear with 3.42's and be faster to that speed with them, but faster to 128 in 4th gear with 4.10's because those gears would hit redline in 4th at 128.

So to answer your question, you will have faster acceleration with a bigger gear set. This is why your ET may drop in the 1/4 mile depending on what your RPM is in the gear you cross the traps at. If using 4.10's makes you cross the traps at 5500rpm, you may be faster with 3.90's.

In a drag application, you want to pick the gear set that makes you cross the traps as close to peak HP as you can be.

I would without hesitation use 3.42's on an A6. Chris Subfloor used 3.42's on his car which made an N/A pass under 10 secs and his 0-60 was about 1.98 secs. Gears dont kill traction and they dont hurt top speed. Its a matter of what top speed you are trying to optimize, what RPM your car makes peak HP at, and what tire you have. You will hear from many people that you get too much wheel spin with steeper gears but thats simply a function of making more TQ. Obvioulsy having too much power causes wheel spin but only an idiot would think youre fastest by handincapping gears. Thats about as intelligent as starting in 2nd gear to get traction. why not reduce HP to eliminate wheel spin while we are at it? that reduces wheel spin too. Obviously there is a power level and a gear that maxes out your tire's max acceleration level so in the end you dont handicap gearing, you get a better tire.

Hope that helped.
And if you do decide to go with 3.42 gears, buy a Z06 diff as they're stronger and cheaper than any of the alternatives.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Hope that helped.
WOW! Thank you for the great information. I always learn a lot from your post.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
And if you do decide to go with 3.42 gears, buy a Z06 diff as they're stronger and cheaper than any of the alternatives.
Thank you for the recommendation.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Spinmonster: is it required to retune my car after a diff install?

Last edited by Gering; 01-05-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 AM
gschub
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tuning after gear change

If you have a A6 trans then yes the trans tuning will have to be changed. If you haven't had the engine "super tuned" do that before spending money on any other MOD, you will be suprised at the HP gain, biggest bang for the buck.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 grandsport auto+cam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 grandsport auto+cam