C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Vetteahaulic
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise needed

I have a 2008 coupe.
1-Whats the best oil for the rear end?
2-clear top squeaks pretty bad, are there any adjusments?
3-drivers side out side opener getting hard to open door, can I replace the switch or is it dealer only? I fell as maybe contacts are dirty, can it be serviced?
4-Car is a daily driver, what is the best tire to icrease ride, not a racer other than passing a few dodges and Fords from time to time, can I do away with the RFT's?
Thanks all, I am new to Forum and so far have have gained so much knowledge. It is nice to know their are people willing to help!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Best is to use any sythetic oil --vicosity as reccomened by GM--Some oils come with the posi additive already mixed in --if not you'll have to also get a tube of the GM additive from the dealer --many parts stores have aftermarket brands as well
Many tire options Most people decide against runflats--manily for the cost and for the added weight--Just remember you have no spare so if you get a flat you''l need to call a tow truck----I have had great success with the Nitto 555's
Old 12-29-2012, 03:02 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

There is are great write ups on squeaky tops on this forum.
Use the recommended fluids.
Despite opinions to the contrary, RF Supercars work well. I've used them at hpde
events. Since we don't have spare tires and its a daily driver, would rather have RF's than risk wheel damage. I carry a motorcycle tire repair kit complete with air pump for longer trips.

If you don't like the ride of the Z-51 (I never found it objectionable), you might consider changing the shocks.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 PM
vettn71
Pro

My hard top squeaked like crazy when I picked up the car. I used a silicone based lube on the edge of the latch roller (even though it's not a roller) and eliminated the squeak completely. Five minute job, at most

Jim
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Vetteahaulic
3rd Gear

Thanks everyone for the information, my bad on wrong choice of words on the RF's, ride is fine, I guess the impact of small bumps due to the hard side wall was the issue. The Goodyears are getting close to replacement and the road noise is pretty bad,
I headed to the car now to try lunbrication on the glass top.

the drivers side out side latch is only problem now, so maybe someone who has had same problem will drop by,
Thanks again, Happy New Year
Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Vetteahaulic
3rd Gear

Ill check out the Nitto's, Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM
joe lawson
Advanced

I had an 05 that the outside door openers were getting hard to work, I removed them fairly easy just remove the 2 screws inside the handle and remove the switch they are not expensive but I took mine apart 6 or 7 screws and used steal wool and cleaned the contacts worked like new after that...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM
markmatthews
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettn71
My hard top squeaked like crazy when I picked up the car. I used a silicone based lube on the edge of the latch roller (even though it's not a roller) and eliminated the squeak completely. Five minute job, at most

Jim
+1688

I honestly thought it was going to be a pain to remove the squeaks completely given my past experience with trying to quiet down my performance cars, but the top really did become completely silent after a tiny bit of lube in all the right places.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Starting in 2009, IRRC, GM came out with a new diff oil that needs no additives. We have it in our 2009, perfectly quiet and when changed at 50k miles, the lab report said both the oil and the diff itself were in excellent condition.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:04 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Starting in 2009, IRRC, GM came out with a new diff oil that needs no additives. We have it in our 2009, perfectly quiet and when changed at 50k miles, the lab report said both the oil and the diff itself were in excellent condition.
True: Use GM DEXTRON LS Gear Oil 75W-90 which contains limited slip friction modifier and prevents positraction clutches from sticking. This is the recommended fluid (part #88862624). It's avalilable at some on line vendors, or can be purchased from the dealer at greater expense.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: I had to change out one of my door pads, I think it was around $20. Also if you like the run flats take a look at the Firestone Wide Ovals, I am on my 4th set and like them a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To advise needed

Quick Reply: advise needed