C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithionics Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM
tusc6
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lithionics Battery

Does anyone have experience using these Lithium light weight batteries?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:03 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

There was a thread in this section about a year ago where a guy tried it and actually got pretty good service from it. He ultimately killed it IIRC and abandoned the idea.

I'm currently using a Shorai lithium-iron (not ion) battery in my C4 ZR-1 and have had zero problems but it isn't my daily driver. It weighs just under 5 lbs compared to almost 35 lbs for my lead acid battery! It was almost $300 for the battery and charger but for me, it's worth it to lose almost 30 lbs off the driver side front end. There's a lead you hook up to a socket on the battery so you can easily plug/unplug from the charger to keep a maintenance charge on the battery for maximum life. If it was truly my daily driver, I would still use this battery...it has absolutely no problems turning over my 11:1 compression engine.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
There was a thread in this section about a year ago where a guy tried it and actually got pretty good service from it. He ultimately killed it IIRC and abandoned the idea.

I'm currently using a Shorai lithium-iron (not ion) battery in my C4 ZR-1 and have had zero problems but it isn't my daily driver. It weighs just under 5 lbs compared to almost 35 lbs for my lead acid battery! It was almost $300 for the battery and charger but for me, it's worth it to lose almost 30 lbs off the driver side front end. There's a lead you hook up to a socket on the battery so you can easily plug/unplug from the charger to keep a maintenance charge on the battery for maximum life. If it was truly my daily driver, I would still use this battery...it has absolutely no problems turning over my 11:1 compression engine.
Which model did you get.....part number ?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Which model did you get.....part number ?
I got the "largest" one they had, part# LFX36A3-BS12 with 540 CCA and weighs 4.81 lbs or 4.96 lbs depending on which chart you look at. If the car is going to be sitting for a month or so, I take the battery out and store it in the refrigerator.
Anybody who has ever changed the battery in a C4 can tell you how much of a pain it is because of the side gill you have to take off to slide the big lead acid battery out. This battery is so small, I can have it in or out in less than 5 minutes because I don't have to remove the side gill...just loosen the hold down bolt, remove the two terminal screws, and slide it out the top. I lay it on its side in the battery tray and use the original battery hold down clamp...fits perfectly.
The low weight of the battery makes it senseless to do a rear mount conversion, the weight of the extra cables alone would be more than the Shorai battery weighs.

This is the website:
http://www.shoraipower.com/
Look under the "Support" section for FAQs and battery specifications and under "Products" for individual batteries. The FAQ section is very interesting reading. BTW, Shorai does not intend for these batteries to be used in cars so you're on your own...I'm ok with that, it doesn't bother me to try "different" things even if I get strange looks. In the '80s I showed up one day with little "donut" 215/60 Yoko 008R tires on my '71 while the "hot" set up was 255/60 Gatorbacks. They made it look like a clown car and people were laughing their azz off...until the flag dropped and I cleaned their clocks.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:19 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

I got the "largest" one they had, part# LFX36A3-BS12 with 540 CCA and weighs 4.81 lbs or 4.96 lbs depending on which chart you look at. If the car is going to be sitting for a month or so, I take the battery out and store it in the refrigerator.
Anybody who has ever changed the battery in a C4 can tell you how much of a pain it is because of the side gill you have to take off to slide the big lead acid battery out. This battery is so small, I can have it in or out in less than 5 minutes because I don't have to remove the side gill...just loosen the hold down bolt, remove the two terminal screws, and slide it out the top. I lay it on its side in the battery tray and use the original battery hold down clamp...fits perfectly.
The low weight of the battery makes it senseless to do a rear mount conversion, the weight of the extra cables alone would be more than the Shorai battery weighs.

This is the website:
Look under the "Support" section for FAQs and battery specifications and under "Products" for individual batteries. The FAQ section is very interesting reading. BTW, Shorai does not intend for these batteries to be used in cars so you're on your own...I'm ok with that, it doesn't bother me to try "different" things even if I get strange looks. In the '80s I showed up one day with little "donut" 215/60 Yoko 008R tires on my '71 while the "hot" set up was 255/60 Gatorbacks. They made it look like a clown car and people were laughing their azz off...until the flag dropped and I cleaned their clocks.
can you jump it if goes dead
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It is only a 36 amp hour battery. Great for a track car, but if you have if you leave anything on, the battery will get drained and go dead. The car came with around a 60 amp hour battery.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Not sure about that one, I'll look into it more tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by timd38
It is only a 36 amp hour battery. Great for a track car, but if you have if you leave anything on, the battery will get drained and go dead. The car came with around a 60 amp hour battery.
Read the FAQs...
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM
enjoinick
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gents,

I am a engineer for Lithionics Battery and glad you are showing interest in our batteries.

I'll keep this post short, but we offer many advantages that Shorai and other battery manufactures simple do not.

Our main feature that sets us apart from all battery manufactures is our NeverDie feature. If you leave lights on or have a parasitic drain our battery will shut off to protect it self. But not only that, we will leave enough power to start your car with a push of a button.

Our batteries are manufactured in the USA and we have a great support staff that you won't see with a Chinese company.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

www.lithionicsbattery.com

Truck U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=IGxEc29N_rg

Two Guys Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=jxL_MyGZkDI
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 AM
enjoinick
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Yes you can jump your car like a lead acid battery.

Last edited by enjoinick; 12-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by enjoinick
Yes your can jump your car like a lead acid battery.
thanks
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

This is the website:
The shorais work well; after leaving the car sitting for a few weeks, it started up perfectly last night in 30 something degree weather.
Heres an install writeup for the shorai (youre going to need special terminal posts m6 to sae - or have to make your own brackets to hold regular 3/8" ones):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...f-the-car.html

EDIT: almost forgot - ballistic batteries has a 500 cca thats 3.6 lbs and then a 400 cca that is 2.44lbs. Amazon has these for less than msrp - about 230 bucks.
http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc.../batteries.php

Last edited by el es tu; 12-20-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 AM
enjoinick
4th Gear

el es tu,

those batteries you are recommending are not rated for starting a car engine, especially a corvette. You will destroy these batteries faster then a lead acid and possible damage electronics.

If you have a multimeter(Fluke with good resolution), connect it to your shorai battery during starting and see what your voltage sags down to. If it is below 9.8V it is not good for your battery or car.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The shorai has been used for a while by various folks on these forums and has worked well enough that katech even recommended them (www.katechengines.com). Ive also seen positive results from folks on the lotus forums.

For 31 lbs in weight off the front end Ill gladly replace a 280 dollar battery every year if I had to. I like the features that the batteries your company offers, but spending a couple thousand dollars on a battery is out of my budget range.

If I get a chance Ill test the voltage drop on startup - I doubt its going to be bad. The thing is starting the car up as well if not quicker than the acdelco lead one ever did.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 PM
enjoinick
4th Gear

I am not on the sales side but I know we have competitive prices(Including Warranty).

Check out the MSRP on the website
http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/auto.html

I run our 12v20-G34ND in my daily driven mustang with great result. I'll be interested to hear your results if you get a chance.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,087 Likes on 657 Posts

I am not on the sales side but I know we have competitive prices(Including Warranty).
When I saw your product "advertised" on Two-Guys Garage, I thought it was a great idea until I saw the price.

I am sure racers will spend big bucks to shed every ounce, but for that much money I would want it "warrantied for as long as you own your car" - then it would be worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Lithionics Battery

Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

el es tu,

those batteries you are recommending are not rated for starting a car engine, especially a corvette. You will destroy these batteries faster then a lead acid and possible damage electronics.

If you have a multimeter(Fluke with good resolution), connect it to your shorai battery during starting and see what your voltage sags down to. If it is below 9.8V it is not good for your battery or car.
I don't know about the Ballistic but my Shorai doesn't drop below 11V on a start. Like I said, zero problems starting my 11:1 compression engine. I can do multiple starts while sitting in line for a run with the last start as strong as the first start.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you are after weight savings, just eat less over the holidays!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:11 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by timd38
If you are after weight savings, just eat less over the holidays!
I was once accused of doing an enima prior to a race.

Quick Reply: Lithionics Battery