C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throw out bearing Tranny or Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
LethalTT
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Throw out bearing Tranny or Clutch

I was driving in first gear a couple weeks ago and something broke. When I would let off the clutch pedal in any gear it would make a noise like a bunch of rocks bouncing around in a dryer. It wouldn't make the noise in neutral until about the third or fourth time trying to mess with it. Car won't move at all and had to get it towed. Dropped the drivetrain and the throwout bearing/slave assembly has grease all over the end from what looks like the bearing. Is this normal? The clutch is a spec stage 3 with findanza flywheel with 5000 miles on it and the car is pushing 750 RWHP@8PSI through an A&A. My question is do you think it is the throwout bearing or am I out of a newish clutch? Or could it be the tranny? Thanks so much for the help ahead of time.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
JasonS5555
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the drivetrain is down, can't you see if the clutch let go? Can you turn the trans input shaft by hand? You should be able to.

Jason

Quick Reply: Throw out bearing Tranny or Clutch