C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was the hottest stock cam on an LS1,2,6,7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Default What was the hottest stock cam on an LS1,2,6,7?

I'm contemplating a kind of unusual project. I have an 05 C6 Z51 with an MN6 and therefore an LS2 motor. She has put down 373rwhp with only a Vararam, Maganaflow, 160deg stat and a tune at 41k mi.

I want to see how high in can get the rwhp using only stock or modified stock parts. The parts can come from any of the pre LS3 series engines (including the LS7 because it was a contemporary of the LS2) but must have been offered as a stock part. I know this will sound kooky to some of you. But I want to see what GM could have built without the internal corporate restrictions that were no doubt in place. I do my own labor so that's not a factor of me.

I already have a ported throttle body and a ported LS2 intake manifold ready to install. I also have LS7 exhaust manifords and cats. I plan to have the 243 heads ported (our buy ported ones). I also happen to have an LS7 cam and springs. I'm just not sure that cam is the best choice. I know that the 02 and up LS6 cam was more aggressive than the one used in the LS2.

Any thoughts out there on what stock cam is the best to use? For that matter any other thoughts on what else can be done to squeak a few more ponys out (1.8:1 rockers out of an LS7?)

Thanks
H

Last edited by ccmano; 12-15-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 AM
BLACKVETTE102
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ccmano
I'm contemplating a kind of unusual project. I have an 05 C6 Z51 with an MN6 and therefore an LS2 motor. She has put down 373rwhp with only a Vararam, Maganaflow, 160deg stat and a tune at 41k mi.

I want to see how high in can get the rwhp using only stock or modified stock parts. The parts can come from any of the pre LS3 series engines (including the LS7 because it was a contemporary of the LS2) but must have been offered as a stock part. I know this will sound kooky to some of you. But I want to see what GM could have built without the internal corporate restrictions that were no doubt in place. I do my own labor so that's not a factor of me.

I already have a ported throttle body and a ported LS2 intake manifold ready to install. I also have LS7 exhaust manifords and cats. I plan to have the 243 heads ported (our buy ported ones). I also happen to have an LS7 cam and springs. I'm just not sure that cam is the best choice. I know that the 02 and up LS6 cam was more aggressive than the one used in the LS2.

Any thoughts out there on what stock cam is the best to use? For that matter any other thoughts on what else can be done to squeak a few more ponys out (1.8:1 rockers out of an LS7?)

Thanks
H
LS7 Cam, LS7 rockers, Mill a bunch out of the heads, LS7 lifters.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:37 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Does anybody know if the LS7 exhaust rockers will work in an LS2? The intakes are offset so I know those won't. Are the exhausts straight or is there a slight offset?
H
Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ccmano
Does anybody know if the LS7 exhaust rockers will work in an LS2? The intakes are offset so I know those won't. Are the exhausts straight or is there a slight offset?
H
Straight, So you should be able to use 16 of those.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

If you are sticking with pure GM stuff go to the LS6 intake manifold as it flows better than the LS2.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
If you are sticking with pure GM stuff go to the LS6 intake manifold as it flows better than the LS2.
I've got a ported LS2 manifold so I should be good to go there.
I thought the LS6 manifold used a smaller throttle body.

Good to hear the rockers should work. I will upgrade to the LS7 lifters and push rods as well assuming the geometry works out for the lifter/pushrod/rocker/sping combination on a 243 head?
H

Get notified of new replies

To What was the hottest stock cam on an LS1,2,6,7?

Quick Reply: What was the hottest stock cam on an LS1,2,6,7?