C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service active handling issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default service active handling issue

I have a 2005 vette. It had a service active handling recall performed on it sometime ago and is now having an issue again.

It says service active handling and the car pulls hard to the left while driving it.

Does anybody have a quick fix for this or something I can look at? The dealership says its not going to be covered even though it has prior recall work done to it.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

I saw the recall info sticky. Called the dealership they said it was already performed!! They want cash out of pocket to run a diagnostic to determine if its due to the recall they already "performed". If you did it already why is it still having the problem.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

There are other things that can cause the SAH to display besides what was "fixed" which was a little plastic clip on the steering wheel position sensor. I think one of them is a bad wheel speed sensor. Or the steering wheel position sensor could have gone bad all together. Either one you will have to pay for. I know it sux but what can you do.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

I filed a complaint. Im gonna call chevy back and talk to them again. I never had this "clip" installed. My active handling was serviced in 07 before this recall came out and never touched again. The car has been in storage for 2 years when I left the states. The symptoms are exactly what the 2010 recall states. I bet if I crashed it they would be singing a different tune when the law suit showed up. They need to stand by their product and make it right.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Do you know what recall procedure was done on it before to fix it?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:46 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Im not even sure if when it was fixed in 07 it was a recall. It was still under warranty and had a service active handling issue. They said they new what the fix was. I never got a recall notice. I have changed addresses several times in the last 6 years due to military obligations so I may have never gotten it.

I smell something foul. Like they signed it off to be in compliance because they could not get a hold of me maybe.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you getting error codes from a computer scan?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

The codes will only show up if it is actively having the problem. Not exactly safe to reproduce them either.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,941 Likes on 5,341 Posts

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
I filed a complaint. Im gonna call chevy back and talk to them again. I never had this "clip" installed. My active handling was serviced in 07 before this recall came out and never touched again. The car has been in storage for 2 years when I left the states. The symptoms are exactly what the 2010 recall states. I bet if I crashed it they would be singing a different tune when the law suit showed up. They need to stand by their product and make it right.
If the recall was performed GM has a record of it. Unless there is a time limitation stated in the recall notice they will do the recall for free it it wasn't done before. I suspect the dealership knows the recall was done. If the car was due for the recall and you had it in for service they would have just done it while doing the other service. It only took a few minutes. There is a very slight chance there could be some issue with that repair where they still might fix it free of charge but until they get into things they have no idea if that is the case. There are a bunch of other things that can cause the symptoms you are describing and they have nothing to do with any recall. Since you aren't covered by warranty find an auto parts store that has a code reader that can read ABS codes and see if you can see any codes. While that message is active there is a code in existence that is causing it to be displayed. One thing to remember is ABS codes are reset with each engine start, when that code appears the system is no longer active and will not cause the car to pull so go to the store, leave the car running with the message displayed, plug the scanner in the OBDII port codes without turning off the engine and read the codes. ABS codes will be C Codes.

Bill
Old 12-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

c6 batmobile,

I'm sorry you are having this issue. Did you file a complaint with GM Customer Service? Could you PM me more information on your situation?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 AM
billcar9999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are having a lane departure, odds are there won't be any meaningful codes. There weren't any for me in 9 trips to the dealer. I had 2 serious lane departures at speed and decided to leave it at the dealer until they could resolve it. Of course, they couldn't because they didn't have any data and couldn't reproduce it. I had to have a data logger (GM provided) to capture it. Turns out the electronic brake control module was defective. It would lose communications with the other modules then set the service active handling message. Once that was replaced, I never had the problem again. This was in my 06 convertible not the Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To service active handling issue

Quick Reply: service active handling issue