C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake relay noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM
smdva
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake relay noise?

I have a noticeable noise coming from the fuse box every time I apply the brakes. The dealer informs me this is the way the braking system is designed and the noise in normal.
Can anyone confirm their 2013 C6s do the same? Is there a fix even it is "normal"
Thanks, Steve
Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Yes, very common complaint......but interestingly not all cars do it and not all the ones that do do it are equally offensive.

Here's one member's recent solution:

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Hey gang. As many of you have complained, the brake and reverse light relays make the car sound cheap. And all passengers ask what the hell is that noise . So removed the brake relay, wrapped it in HushMat (like Dynamat), and it's silent now.......

Here's a pic of the relay, located in the fuse panel in the passenger footwell, under the toe board:

If you're really industrious, another member went so far as to replace the mechanical relay with a Solid State Relay. Took some adapting but doable, and it's silent. If you want that thread let me know.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smdva
I have a noticeable noise coming from the fuse box every time I apply the brakes. The dealer informs me this is the way the braking system is designed and the noise in normal.
Can anyone confirm their 2013 C6s do the same? Is there a fix even it is "normal"
Thanks, Steve
My 2013 coupe makes a chattering relay type of noise when I hit the brake pedal before pushing the start button. I haven't localized the noise but it seems to be coming from the center of the dashboard assy. Is this the noise everyone complains about? It lasts about one second and then is silent. Car has less than 300 miles and I think it was there from the beginning.

Take two - Chatter noise when hitting either the brake or start with no fob. Sounds like the noise is inside the dashboard near the start button.

Last edited by gbrtng; 12-14-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

On the brake relay, I'm the one who wrapped it in 'Dynamat' and problem solved. Wanted to do the same with the reverse relay, but nobody has replied to my post, so will leave it alone. For some reason, the reverse relay is under that black cover with a bolt in the middle.

That relay racket when hitting the start button without the fob or without fully depressing the clutch (or not at all) is puzzling to me. Sounds like a hundred relays triggering all at once. And yes, right behind the panel, not by the fuse box. But perfectly normal too.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

I heard that same noise after I opened up the fuse box in the passenger foot-well. After a few hard WOT, I no longer hear it. Maybe because my wife was trying to put the brakes on her side?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
smdva
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by RicK T
Yes, very common complaint......but interestingly not all cars do it and not all the ones that do do it are equally offensive.

Here's one member's recent solution:

Here's a pic of the relay, located in the fuse panel in the passenger footwell, under the toe board:

If you're really industrious, another member went so far as to replace the mechanical relay with a Solid State Relay. Took some adapting but doable, and it's silent. If you want that thread let me know.
Thanks for the input, ordered Hushmat tonite.
smd
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
jkbronco
Instructor

I hate to be the least bright one in the forum but can someone explain exactly what was done?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jkbronco
I hate to be the least bright one in the forum but can someone explain exactly what was done?
Let's say the relay measures 1 sq. in. Cut a 1" x 3" piece of Dynamat (or similar) material, and cover the relay on one side, top, and the opposite side. Then cut two 1" x 1" squares and put them on the remaining 2 sides, and make sure to leave no gaps. I used black HushMat for the center tunnel (my car is CE black), and did this job with leftover pieces. Wanted to do the same to the reverse relay, but it's under that large cover with a bolt in the middle, so didn't want to mess with it. And don't have enough material left to do that entire black part, but might buy more and do just that. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 PM
jkbronco
Instructor

Thanks a lot - any worries about trapping heat?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jkbronco
Thanks a lot - any worries about trapping heat?
Not inside the car man, with A/C. And how long do you stay on the brakes? Plus it's not much current at all, and there's a gap at the bottom anyway. Zero worries here.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2012 doesn't make the noises.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM
jkbronco
Instructor

wow--- mine does

Get notified of new replies

To Brake relay noise?