C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Grand Sport....black piece at the bottom of front bumper keeps coming loose.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 AM
400ci94mm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Grand Sport....black piece at the bottom of front bumper keeps coming loose.....

When it comes loose it starts to scrape on every little bump in the roads and speed bumps....etc....

When my girlfriend bought the car the service guy at the dealer told my girlfriend that she will have to replace that piece like once a year, to just bring it in when it gets loose and they will replace it with a new one. Sounds like that would be a recall item if it kept coming loose like it does. They told her about $100.00 plus labor to put it on I guess.

Now I know most Vette owners ON THIS SITE ANYWAY - NEVER bring their cars back to the dealer once they buy them, they fix them on their own or have certain body shops that they trust do the repairs.......thats what I do with my car. No dealerships allowed.....

So, I reached under there and felt the screw in the center had just gotten loose and backed out...at least thats what it felt like, I could not get under there to see it.....(so maybe thats not what I was feeling)

....Tell me there's a way to NOT have to keep buying them once a year like the Stealership told her.......

Whats the fix....lock-nuts I'm guessing....?

What size and how many do I need to buy...?

Thanks in advance......

Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When the factory screw mount is pulled through the plastic ;I use a #8 sheet metal screw to re-attach. If the #8 doesn't work - use a #10
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
mike72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

60,000 mi. on mine and it has never come loose nor have I had to replace it. Mine is not lowered, so that may be the difference.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Are you referring to the chin spoiler (attached to the bumper), or the 'flap' one, further behind? I believe both are attached by stupid plastic push-in clips. Once removed, they're done. If you change the part, you need new ones. Last time I had the car on the air I'm pretty sure saw those suckers, but since I wasn't scrutinizing either of those parts, don't remember. Somebody else should be able to help you. But if it's the 'flapper', there're 3 parts, I believe. Check which one you need. Probably the middle one. And no way it should be anywhere close to $100. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

If you mean the rubber air dam...

Coming loose is either the attaching screws backing out or the rubber un-attaching from the screws.

Could be a rip at the rubber mounting points of the dam.

I've used larger diameter washers between the screw head and dam succussfully.

Else a new 3 peice dam (@$100) or tighten the screws + new screw retainer clips + added washers (almost free).

Shouldn't be too much of an issue to fix.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,003 Likes on 5,370 Posts

If you are talking about the black piece right at the front edge of the fascia that usually doesn't need to be replaced once per year. The air dam further back is designed to be easily replaceable and is expected to get damaged since it hangs low to the ground. If the front trim piece is being damaged that means the car is being driven into parking curbs, steep incline driveways, etc. You should look for damage on the fascia just above the trim piece. The trim piece isn't exactly cheap although it wouldn't take much labor to replace it. Damage to the fascia is a lot more difficult to fix.

My front trim piece has been ground into driveway inclines, scraped on my trailer ramps and generally abused in the 3 years I have had my Z. When it gets torn or bent I use some seam sealer to patch it up and hit it with some trim black. If bolts pull out I add extra pieces of plastic as backers or large washers to keep the bolts from pulling through again. Heavy duty plastic works better than washers since most washers you get at a store will rust. Do some patching on your own and the people will never know the part has been damaged.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Grand Sport....black piece at the bottom of front bumper keeps coming loose.....

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Sport....black piece at the bottom of front bumper keeps coming loose.....