C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm tired of not driving my C6- DBS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Al1969
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm tired of not driving my C6- DBS

Hi everyone,
I think I'm another victim of DBS or perhaps a bigger problem. I have an 05 C6 with 23000 miles. I keep it parked and only drive it in nice weather.
To make a long story short. I called GM customer service to let them know of my problem. The past three years I've replaced the battery twice and been back and forth to the dealership with battery/starting related problems. Last November the nav unit had to be replaced. Fortunately I had an extended warranty which covered it. It simply went out and I'm assuming it was battery related. It happened to me again this past Saturday. I was given a jump start and the car started immediately. However, the radio/nav doesn't work. When I brought to the dealership the previous times about the battery problem all they said was "it's typical of corvettes" they could not find a reason or cause why the battery was draining. I'm very disappointed on the product GM put out. If my car sits for more than three days, it won't start! I told the GM rep I suspect the problem to be bigger than just the battery and think it may be something with either module or electrical. I'm not a mechanic, I'm just guessing. Now I'm in the process of bringing the vehicle to another dealership. Can anyone tell me what the problem may be? I also had all possible warnings come on the screen as I drove it this past Saturday. Drove for about three hours. As soon as I turned it off, it didn't start again. I'm just frustrated.
Thanks
Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

If it's a manual you have to put the car in reverse before powering down. Any aftermarket items such as ipod etc that could be draining it?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Al1969
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks SmokinZ51. I do park it in reverse and have an iPod adapter. However, I was having this battery "drain" before I had the adapter installed. Also, what would cause the navigation unit to completely go out? As I mentioned I had a new unit installed last November and now it's out as of this past Saturday. Are there any software/hardware updates the vehicle may need?

Thanks again
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Al1969
Thanks SmokinZ51. I do park it in reverse and have an iPod adapter. However, I was having this battery "drain" before I had the adapter installed. Also, what would cause the navigation unit to completely go out? As I mentioned I had a new unit installed last November and now it's out as of this past Saturday. Are there any software/hardware updates the vehicle may need?

Thanks again
Not sure on that one. I would think it would still work even if it didn't have the latest updates. Maybe a bad ground? Also, check the nuts on the battery to make sure they are the cone style. I believe some have posted on here about issues when the wrong nuts are used. All else fails find a different mechanic to take it to. One who has a strong electrical guy.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Check your operating voltage, should be at 14.4 volts. Mine was at 14.5 until I replaced the battery, now mine 2006 charges at 14.4 volts. The car's systems are voltage sensitive, could be why the nav unit has issues. The car should be able to sit for more than two weeks (20/21 days) without draining the battery so as not to start.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I think there was a supposed fix of reflashing the computer for this, around $90? I remember reading threads about when I was searching for a Vette and found an 05 but passed because of this issue.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Draven
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

If you drive it so infrequently, why not put a battery tender on it?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2005 that I bought in 2008 that has been really good......battery wise..........I have had many other issues though. I can let mine sit for 1-2 weeks with no issues on starting.

One thing I have found is that when I'm detailling the interior or have the doors open a lot when doing the outside the battery can drain very quickly (in less than a day). This is even with the delay power down working properly

There was a PCM re-flash from GM that helped address the DBS. You should check that this has been done.

I also have an iPod (iSimple) interface wired into my car, with no impact on the car holding a battery charge.

Thinking out loud and as a shot in the dark. Maybe you should have the alternator checked to ensure the diode bridge is working properly with no shorts to ground. (Only becasue it is connected to the battery when the car is powered down)

As far as the NAV not working, two things to look at. If the car battery died complelely the NAV may need to be re-registered to the car (I do not think this is the case, but you never know).

Secondly, I also had an issue where the 2.5 mm (or is it 3.5 mm??) aulillary connector from the iSimple was sitting on a plastic mat (the tip has power), and it casued my cigarette lighter adapter and radio/NAV to not work (as in dead). It turns out that if there is any path to ground.............even a very high resistance one the car will cut powe to these units.......even though the fuse has not blown. Tracking this down drove me nuts.

My shop said this is a feature on some higher end cars with complex electroics. IT is intended to protect the elctronics.

I put some heat shrink over the metal part of the adapter and that solved the problem.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Don't get me wrong, but you've been a member here for almost two years. Still, it's difficult to tell exactly how many times you have actually been on this site, Tech, or C6 Gen. The reason I ask is, almost every week, there is someone asking about a 2005 with issues. This is what? an eight year old model and still there are answers being given every week. Further, the reason I ask is if you, or your dealership service dept. are fairly familiar with these cars, but esp. the 2005 model year, have they used/advised you of this: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...sues-fix.html? Or, the reflash, or some of the other fixes that have been done in the eight year span, such as a battery maintainer---this one is on here about every ten days?

Last edited by AORoads; 11-27-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm tired of not driving my C6- DBS

Quick Reply: I'm tired of not driving my C6- DBS