C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE toe in vs toe out

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HPDE toe in vs toe out

From what I've read on the Forums it appears using a little toe out on the front, and toe in on the rear can be beneficial for a HPDE. However when displayed in degrees on your alignment sheet, is a (-) negative figure considered toe out, and a (+) positive considered toe in?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

- is toe in, + is toe out.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Everything is a compromise man. Yes, extra toe can add stability, but it eat the tires a lot quicker. On a street car, you have to be careful with that. On a dedicated track machine, you can go wild. All boils down to how deep your pockets are, I guess .
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin04
- is toe in, + is toe out.
Hmmmmm.....not necessarily!!!

As a matter of fact, most alignment shops consider a "negative" number to be toe OUT!!

I know that the popular Pfadt alignment spec sheet has a note at the top that says that "Negative toe measurements indicate toe-in", but that's not the way many shops consider it.

Take a look at the thread below - scroll down to post# 2 by Forum Tech Contributor Bill Dearborn for an excellent explanation:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...post1581915852

Look at his third paragraph where he says:

Toe in is usually accepted as a positive number while toe out is a negative number although there are some machines and people who reverse the polarities. Is toe in considered negative or positive on the machine you used? You have to be careful with this as it is easy to get confused since the standard really isn't a standard.
So.....the standard is that a negatve # is toe OUT, but some shops don't use that convention, so you just need to make it very clear what you want and what they are using so you understand what you're getting!!

That's why I do my own alignments - it's very easy, and you can be as accurate as a machine!!!

Bob
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

In general terms, at 98% of the shops that do alignments, what I said is true. But I agree with you, if the shop does it backwards, make sure you specify what you want.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smokin04
In general terms, at 98% of the shops that do alignments, what I said is true. But I agree with you, if the shop does it backwards, make sure you specify what you want.
The shop uses Hunter Hawkeye and the tech said (-) negative was toe out. Would that be correct for that equipment?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hmmmmm.....not necessarily!!!

As a matter of fact, most alignment shops consider a "negative" number to be toe OUT!!

I know that the popular Pfadt alignment spec sheet has a note at the top that says that "Negative toe measurements indicate toe-in", but that's not the way many shops consider it.

Take a look at the thread below - scroll down to post# 2 by Forum Tech Contributor Bill Dearborn for an excellent explanation:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...post1581915852

Look at his third paragraph where he says:

So.....the standard is that a negatve # is toe OUT, but some shops don't use that convention, so you just need to make it very clear what you want and what they are using so you understand what you're getting!!

That's why I do my own alignments - it's very easy, and you can be as accurate as a machine!!!

Bob
Is there a reliable way for me to double check the toe?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Vette1
Is there a reliable way for me to double check the toe?
Here's forum member David Farmer's DIY alignment info:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1634366/align.pdf

BTW, David used to have a website, but now his stuff available on Facebook. Check him out there at "David Farmer Racing".

You also said
The shop uses Hunter Hawkeye and the tech said (-) negative was toe out. Would that be correct for that equipment?
MOST shops will use "negative" to mean toe OUT, but just check with them.

What settings did you tell them to adjust the alignment to???

They should have adjusted it very close to what you wanted and told them to set.

Edited: here's a video from the Hunter website. You can see that they identify toe like MOST alignment shops do - negative is toe out; positive is toe in:

http://www.hunter.com/videos/Toe.mp4

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 11-11-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added Hunter video
Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Instead of talking in circles, making things more difficult than they need to be, and in general over-complicating a very simple thing, just skip the + / - debate. Tell them you either want "toe in", front of the tires pointed towards each other or you want "toe out". Let the tech worry about what the machine says.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

From the measurement standpoing, it makes sense for toe-in to be negative, since the measurement would be less than with wheels perfectly straight. But since toe-out is rarely spec'd (if at all), then toe-in is considered positive. But to avoid confusion, especially among non-experts, I'd use the words, and clearly write them in the invoice/order, to avoid a war of words later on .
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Here's forum member David Farmer's DIY alignment info:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1634366/align.pdf

BTW, David used to have a website, but now his stuff available on Facebook. Check him out there at "David Farmer Racing".

You also said

MOST shops will use "negative" to mean toe OUT, but just check with them.

What settings did you tell them to adjust the alignment to???

They should have adjusted it very close to what you wanted and told them to set.

Edited: here's a video from the Hunter website. You can see that they identify toe like MOST alignment shops do - negative is toe out; positive is toe in:

http://www.hunter.com/videos/Toe.mp4

Bob
Thanks for the excellent links! Yes I did say that I wanted toe out on the front. Based on what I had heard about toe out, I expected the steering to be a little twitchy or grabby. Instead it feels rock solid as if it has toe in. Maybe this amount of toe would not make a detectable difference in street driving? Even though the tech seemed very thorough, I wanted to do what I could to double check things, just in case there could be a possibility of reversing the meaning of positive and negative on the print out.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

To answer the other part of OP's question, toe-in will make the car more stable when driving down the highway or cornering, but also makes the steering less responsive.

When I was doing autoccross in our previous C6, I started with 0 toe in front and a very slight toe-out at the rear. That worked, but made the car less pleasant to drive on the street. I ended up wth slight toe-in front and rear, the car became slightly less repsonsive but more stable and predictable both on the street and around the cones.

This is a very individual thing, what worked well for me might not be so great for you.

If you need the car to seem "twitchier", try having 3 cups of coffee before each run.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE toe in vs toe out

Quick Reply: HPDE toe in vs toe out