C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil PSI spiking???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 PM
MilehiDenver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil PSI spiking???

Had my 2012 GS since may. Car has 2,800 miles. Love it to death! Took it out for a drive today, and noticed that the oil pressure (usually 40 PSI if I remember correctly) would spike to 80 PSI plus on acceleration. Took it straight to the dealer to look into it. My OnStar monthly report said oil life is at 59% life. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MilehiDenver
Had my 2012 GS since may. Car has 2,800 miles. Love it to death! Took it out for a drive today, and noticed that the oil pressure (usually 40 PSI if I remember correctly) would spike to 80 PSI plus on acceleration. Took it straight to the dealer to look into it. My OnStar monthly report said oil life is at 59% life. Any ideas as to what is going on?
completely normal at WOT. not to worry. My 11 GS does the same thing. And this topic pops up every few weeks with a new GS owner thinking that something has gone wrong.

55psi is completely normal crusing at normal operating temps for the GS. Its supposed to be 15psi higher than the wet sump if you have the dry sump.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 PM
MilehiDenver
Advanced

Not being rude, but how is it normal? It has never done this before. It just started for the first time today. Something had to have changed to cause this to just suddenly start happening.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Not being rude, but how is it normal? It has never done this before. It just started for the first time today. Something had to have changed to cause this to just suddenly start happening.
Yeah, the weather.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM
MilehiDenver
Advanced

Nope. Low 70's and gorgeous!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Maybe the engine was not warmed up.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Nope. Low 70's and gorgeous!
You would probably be better off just taking your broken corvette to the dealer.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 AM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
completely normal at WOT. not to worry. My 11 GS does the same thing. And this topic pops up every few weeks with a new GS owner thinking that something has gone wrong.

55psi is completely normal crusing at normal operating temps for the GS. Its supposed to be 15psi higher than the wet sump if you have the dry sump.
55 might be normal but 80 is a serious problem at any engine temp. Even NASCAR engines typically run with no more than 50 psi of oil pressure at 9,000 rpm. Sounds like there are some pressure relief problems out there if they are spiking over 55. Later! Frank

Last edited by fnsblum; 11-02-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 AM
MilehiDenver
Advanced

Since I have had it (5 months) I have never saw the PSI budge from right around 40 PSI. Dealer said they would look into it, and it might be a sensor or something like that. Said 3-4 hours to fix it!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fnsblum
55 might be normal but 80 is a serious problem at any engine temp. Even NASCAR engines typically run with no more than 50 psi of oil pressure at 9,000 rpm. Sounds like there are some pressure relief problems out there if they are spiking over 55. Later! Frank
Nope. I know this to be normal. Both my dad and I have dry sump GS cars, and so does one of my friends. It happens on all those cars, and my tech also said it was normal when I asked him about it last year. So I still say normal, but ultimately taking it to the dealer is what should be done to confirm.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
MilehiDenver
Advanced

If it is normal, why has it only just started happening after about 5 months?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

If it is normal, why has it only just started happening after about 5 months?
Maybe you just started noticing it.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
MilehiDenver
Advanced

I can assure you that I am very attentive to my gauge cluster! But Dealer should have it back to me later today. Hope they figure out something on it!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil pressure sender slowly failing, eventually reading 120+ psi on the dic.
my original sender died after good years of service, but every other gm sender i've had in there afterward has failed in less than 2 weeks.
the aftermarket one from kragen is stout, plus it has lifetime warranty
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM
MilehiDenver
Advanced

UPDATE

So I picked the car up this morning after a 12 hour mid. Started the car up to leave, and it did the exact same thing! PSI pegged at 80! Never done that in 5 months! I was so mad and tired I just drove it straight home. Paperwork said dealer found a "intermittent open in the oil pressure sensor" and replaced the sensor. Also stated N4585 w1.4W add w0.3W diag time. Just not sure what the heck is going on! It spike at startup and upon normal acceleration. At cruising speed, it settles back down to the normal 40 PSI. Again, never did this except for the last 2 times I have driven it! Also, car was spick and span when I dropped it off, and on the drive home, I could see a layer of dust with what lookes like a mechanics mat or something that had been place or dragged on the hood in a semi-circular motion so as to leave a nice dust streak! Not sure if it scrathed the paint or not, to upset to look into that at the moment. Am I a big whiny B@TCH about all of this? Is this normal? Weather was nice, and car was still doing it well after it had warmed up.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

UPDATE

So I picked the car up this morning after a 12 hour mid. Started the car up to leave, and it did the exact same thing! PSI pegged at 80! Never done that in 5 months! I was so mad and tired I just drove it straight home. Paperwork said dealer found a "intermittent open in the oil pressure sensor" and replaced the sensor. Also stated N4585 w1.4W add w0.3W diag time. Just not sure what the heck is going on! It spike at startup and upon normal acceleration. At cruising speed, it settles back down to the normal 40 PSI. Again, never did this except for the last 2 times I have driven it! Also, car was spick and span when I dropped it off, and on the drive home, I could see a layer of dust with what lookes like a mechanics mat or something that had been place or dragged on the hood in a semi-circular motion so as to leave a nice dust streak! Not sure if it scrathed the paint or not, to upset to look into that at the moment. Am I a big whiny B@TCH about all of this? Is this normal? Weather was nice, and car was still doing it well after it had warmed up.
I still say its normal. my 11 GS manual has been doing this since day 1. And several other cars too. Once it warms up fully, it will sit around 55psi at cruising, then go 70-80 at WOT. My dads car does it too. I took a video of my car doing it this weekend for you, but accidentally deleted it.....doh. But warmed up it should idle and cruise at 55. Cold idle and wot are at 80 in my car. So I still say normal. The only thing you can do is not mod the car, and just drive it. If something fails it will be under warranty. Thats all you can do. Or continue to fight with the dealer..... Not worth it.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:26 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

This is completely normal/fully warmed up @ idle. 2011 GS manual drysump car - bone stock. 4200 miles

I will try to get one at WOT, but that is very hard and generally unsafe.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil PSI spiking???

Old 11-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

MilehiDenver, is your vette a dry sump engine? I lost track during the reading.......

Most of the folks replying have dry sumps (as I do), and they peg the needle frequently, when the oil is cooler.

But I had a wet sump LS3, and it would never do it.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

OP as RPM goes up so does oil pressure to a point. On a dry sump motor you can see 80 - 90 psi especially if the oil is only warm.....

Mark
Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 PM
MilehiDenver
Advanced

Good to here that it is normal. Still weird that I never saw this happen until last week. Not sure what the dealer replacing a bad sensor meant if nothing changed with the way it has been reading it out! Guess I will let it go now. Thanks for the responses!

Quick Reply: Oil PSI spiking???