C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

--Important read-- Engine Oil Tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default --Important read-- Engine Oil Tech

This is something that everyone needs to read, if you are racing your car or just taking it to car shows your engine oil is the life blood that keeps your car running.

The more aggressive your setup, or the harder you drive your car, the oil you use becomes even more important.

Over the last 10 years, We have recorded approximately 10 failed lifters from customers in the US with our cam kits. We sell on average 150-200 cam kits per year, and more cams by themselves. 6 of these have been in the last 12 months.

Doing testing and research with oil companies, Comp Cams, and also with some of our partners in the turbo production the newer 'EPA approved' oils are reducing the anti wear additive packages more so every year and are increasing the amount of detergents in the oil. While this might sound good to keep the inside of your engine clean it is not helping on keeping the oil protecting like it should.

That is why it is more important now more so than ever for those of you tracking your car, installing bigger cams, turbo's and superchargers that you run an oil that will hold up and protect your investment.

With any of our cam kits we highly suggest the use of a quality oil with a high content of Zinc and Phosphorus. For those racing the car, a racing oil should be used. Do keep in mind most racing oils are 100% detergent free and will need to be changed frequently.

Some oils to use would be RedLine, Amsoil, Joe Gibb, Brad Penn, Valvoline VR1 series.

Further Reading...
http://www.joegibbsdriven.com/trainingcenter/tech/streetoils.htm

http://www.redlineoil.com/techinfo.aspx

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

Last edited by Anthony @ LGMotorsports; 10-23-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

How do you define "frequent oil changes" regarding racing oil?

Also with some internet searches I came across I came across an old C3 forum thread that challenged the Valvoline VR1 series claim of high zinc and phosphorous content because of the API rating on the label.

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 10-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
This is something that everyone needs to read, if you are racing your car or just taking it to car shows your engine oil is the life blood that keeps your car running.

The more aggressive your setup, or the harder you drive your car, the oil you use becomes even more important.

Over the last 10 years, We have recorded approximately 10 failed lifters from customers in the US with our cam kits. We sell on average 150-200 cam kits per year, and more cams by themselves. 6 of these have been in the last 12 months.

Doing testing and research with oil companies, Comp Cams, and also with some of our partners in the turbo production the newer 'EPA approved' oils are reducing the anti wear additive packages more so every year and are increasing the amount of detergents in the oil. While this might sound good to keep the inside of your engine clean it is not helping on keeping the oil protecting like it should.

That is why it is more important now more so than ever for those of you tracking your car, installing bigger cams, turbo's and superchargers that you run an oil that will hold up and protect your investment.

With any of our cam kits we highly suggest the use of a quality oil with a high content of Zinc and Phosphorus. For those racing the car, a racing oil should be used. Do keep in mind most racing oils are 100% detergent free and will need to be changed frequently.

Some oils to use would be RedLine, Amsoil, Joe Gibb, Brad Penn, Valvoline VR1 series.

Further Reading...

A lot of valuable info. Stuff I wanted to know. Just can't make my mind up. I like Gibbs LS30. But I'm wondering if racing is better. 2006 c6 405 rwhp that is road raced 3-6 days a season. 6 times this year. What is recommended?
Thanks

Last edited by theVcar; 10-23-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Further Reading...

Anthony

Thanks for posting.

Can you tell us what the minimum levels of ZDDP we should be running for a street/track car. I want to know if my Mobil1 0w40 has enough.

DH
Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just repaird a C6 today that a lifter failed in. The roller's needle bearings failed causing the roller to seize. It was caught early enough that there was no other damage to the engine. I replaced all the lifters, and the cam. This car saw a lot of track usage using M1 15-50 synthetic oil.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Redline is starting to look like my future oil...
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
How do you define "frequent oil changes"regarding racing oil?

Also with some internet searches I came across I came across an old C3 forum thread that challenged the Valvoline VR1 series claim of high zinc and phosphorous content because of the API rating on the label.

BJK
With the racing oils with no detergents in them, you need to change them every 300-600 miles or so.

Now what you can do is run a race oil for a weekend and switch back to a street oil between events for those that do daily drive the cars.

Depending on what we would see for oil temps on the race cars we may change just a filter during a race weekend or do a full oil change at the end of the event. You also have to remember we are changing engines every 30-35 hrs of run time roughly as well in the race cars.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Anthony

Thanks for posting.

Can you tell us what the minimum levels of ZDDP we should be running for a street/track car. I want to know if my Mobil1 0w40 has enough.

DH
It would be nice to see them in the 1100-1500 range, 1600+ would be best.

Last edited by Anthony @ LGMotorsports; 10-24-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

It would be nice to see them in the 1100-1500 range.
Well Mobil1 0w40 is well short of that and seems like it is going down according to my series of Blackstone tests

DH
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want the levels higher, 2000+ if you are running one of our cams. From here on out, there will be a lot of documents that come with our kits.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
I want the levels higher, 2000+ if you are running one of our cams. From here on out, there will be a lot of documents that come with our kits.
You might want to consult with a chemist, tribologist, or oil engineer before you make that recommendation. Playing with ZDDP levels without knowing what you're doing is like giving yourself chemo treatments for cancer...just because some is good does not mean a lot is better.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Well Mobil1 0w40 is well short of that and seems like it is going down according to my series of Blackstone tests

DH
I'm sure you know Moly and Boron are antiwear additives to compensate for the lower Zinc. A redline report would blow this one away...they usually runn about 600 parts per million of Moly and close to 2000 PPM of Zinc. Redline would be my choice because of the additives and the base stock (Ester oil.)

Rick
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF-Vette
I'm sure you know Moly and Boron are antiwear additives to compensate for the lower Zinc. A redline report would blow this one away...they usually runn about 600 parts per million of Moly and close to 2000 PPM of Zinc. Redline would be my choice because of the additives and the base stock (Ester oil.)

Rick
I was on the Redline site earlier and could not find much info on their additives. Did you get your info from an oil analyses or a Redline spec sheet?

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 10-24-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Further Reading...

I agree the govnt is screwing up our cars for the tree huggers.

From what Ive seen the Mobil 1 racing oils do have the extra additives to prevent buildups (unlike the other racing oils).

I like to check the mobil 1 product guide sheet before I do my oil purchases (it changes a few times a year).

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

one example - their 0w20 and 0w30 used to be 800 / 900 for the zinc and phos, then they reduced it a year later...

At this point Im mixing 0w40 and 0w20 to get a 0w30 oil with a bit more than the the 800/900 that gm requires on an oil.

EDIT: for those that dont know - if you run high zinc/phos content oils - you need to run the car without cats.

info on m1 racing having detergents: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...rgent_Oil.aspx

mobil 1 racing 0w30 link: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ing_0W-30.aspx

hope this helps some folks out!

Last edited by el es tu; 10-24-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM
NospdLimit
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Why would you want 0w anything in the LS engine?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glass slipper
You might want to consult with a chemist, tribologist, or oil engineer before you make that recommendation. Playing with ZDDP levels without knowing what you're doing is like giving yourself chemo treatments for cancer...just because some is good does not mean a lot is better.
Considering CAM2 blublood, Some redline products, and some joe gibbs products have 2200+, Ill stick to that statement
Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NospdLimit
Why would you want 0w anything in the LS engine?
For street drivers one reason is less wear during cold starts.

Get notified of new replies

To --Important read-- Engine Oil Tech

Old 10-25-2012, 02:32 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wbear
For street drivers one reason is less wear during cold starts.
yep

just any starts in general.

Also supposedly gets you a small increase in efficiency (whopping 2 or 3 hp )

I change my oil much more often than most people (after a day of running the car hard or every 1 to 2 months - roughly a few hundred miles) so oil life isnt an issue. I think its dumb to let the carbon sit in the engine to develop deposits - changing the oil out often is like doing a dialysis on youre engine.

-

BTW Mobil is running 0 weight for their real racing oils (0w30 and 0w50); they have a Q/A section of their website where you can ask them why directly.

EDIT: Here's a FAQ from them: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...AQs.aspx#FAQs1

Note: The stuff is roughly 90 to 100 bucks a case and has 2 to 3 times the additives so you cannot run it with cats

Last edited by el es tu; 10-25-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I run RP XPR good stuff but too expensive, could probley just run m1 and rebuild the engine every year for the same price!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,708 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Speaking of Redline, Lou, I tried to order it from you recently (5W-30), but you were out of stock. Please put those stickers back on your car so you can pass the savings along to us. The place I ended up getting it from was $10.99/qt. I'd much rather buy it from you.

Thanks for the info and keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: --Important read-- Engine Oil Tech