Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
21st Century Muscle Cars

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
DannyBoyC6
CF Senior Member

Default Z06 Front Brake Duct Install on Base C6

Hi guys, I have a 2007 base C6 (Z51-optioned FWIW) and purchase Z06 front plastic brake cooling ducts just as quite a few on this forum have. After lining up the tube on one side, it doesn't appear that this mod is going to do anything to help cooling -- just common sense as the duct opening is a foot away and above the center of the rotors when bolted to the frame.

I searched Z06 front brake duct images and saw that the Z06 has a flex hose that connects from the end of the ducts to the center of the rotor.

Is that something I can do?
Has anyone else done this?
Am I wrong in thinking this mod won't help w/o the flex hose?

It is a cheap mod but I feel like it is a waste of time at this point.

All input appreciated! Thanks!
Dan

VR CAI w/TBS, LS2PortWorks Ported IM, 224/228 Cam, Dynatech LTs w cats, Corsa Sports, 160T-Stat, oil catch can, MGW short shifter, TSW Nurburgring 18"x10.5" wheels, Toyo R888s, Carbotech XP10 / XP8 pads and braided brake lines, 1.8 front camber / 1.0 rear camber, Corbeau FX1 Pro and FX1 seats, Sharkbar harness bar, G-Force harnesses.
Appearance:
30%/15% window tint, VHT NiteShades light cover tint, Lloyd's mats, Aluminum gas pedal / dead pedal.
DannyBoyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
SinisterC6
CF Senior Member

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sinisterc6-Productions/445076272240457?ref=stream

I used some vacuum tubing laying around to help direct flow. I was going to make a bracket to hold the tube right to the rotor but got lazy

Click the image to open in full size.
SinisterC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
DannyBoyC6
CF Senior Member

Sinister, thanks much for the pic -- that helps.

I could get a couple of metal "L" or "Z" brackets and better place the duct near the rotor center. I may play a little while the wheels are off.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
SinisterC6
CF Senior Member

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sinisterc6-Productions/445076272240457?ref=stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6 View Post
Sinister, thanks much for the pic -- that helps.

I could get a couple of metal "L" or "Z" brackets and better place the duct near the rotor center. I may play a little while the wheels are off.
np, next time I have the rotors off ill drill ill drill the hub and mount a piece of steel to which I can attach the tubing

This is what quantum makes:

The tubing is aircraft silicon which im sure is expensive but not the $200+ companies charge for one of these kits.

I tried a leaf blower to the inlet in the bumper and surprisingly a lot of air gets to the rotors
SinisterC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
glenB
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterC6 View Post
np, next time I have the rotors off ill drill ill drill the hub and mount a piece of steel to which I can attach the tubing

This is what quantum makes:

That be what I have because I was too lazy to make a kit.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
DannyBoyC6
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have some resources at the job, so I may go rummaging to see what I can do without getting into triple-digits on cost. I'm hitting the track in 2 weekends and would like to get this buttoned up (and actually useful) by then.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
LEAVINU
CF Senior Member

Lamarwaldenautomotive

FYI, the Z does NOT have hose going to the rotor from the factory. The duct is @1ft away like you mentioned on the Z from the factory too.
LEAVINU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
DannyBoyC6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINU View Post
FYI, the Z does NOT have hose going to the rotor from the factory. The duct is @1ft away like you mentioned on the Z from the factory too.
well that's interesting. guess i can't trust everything i read on this forum after all!

so anything i connect on the end of the duct is going to be better than the stock setup of the Z cooling...
Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
LEAVINU
CF Senior Member

Lamarwaldenautomotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoyC6 View Post
so anything i connect on the end of the duct is going to be better than the stock setup of the Z cooling...
Yep
LEAVINU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Russkier
CF Member

I also added the Z brake cooling ducts to my Z-51. I did not connect any hose though. I did a track day at Thunder Hill which has 3 very hard braking zones, and did not experience any fade with the stock brake pads. I did however, flush the stock brake fluid out and replaced with Stop Tech racing fluid. Not sure which of these actions prevented fade, but something worked.
Russkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
DannyBoyC6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkier View Post
I also added the Z brake cooling ducts to my Z-51. I did not connect any hose though. I did a track day at Thunder Hill which has 3 very hard braking zones, and did not experience any fade with the stock brake pads. I did however, flush the stock brake fluid out and replaced with Stop Tech racing fluid. Not sure which of these actions prevented fade, but something worked.
Definitely your fluid, and maybe your ducting. I'm surprised u didn't glaze the stock pads. I glazed Hawk HPS pads when I tried them prior to going with dedicated race pads.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Z06 Front Brake Duct Install on Base C6