C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for an oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 PM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Recommendations for an oil cooler

I have an '07. LS2 Coupe and would like a recommendation for an oil cooler. Thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm "not" recommending any particular brand, but AM suggesting a "Type"

Get a STACKED PLATE TYPE not a finned aluminum... I had a finned aluminium trans cooler, and my trans used to run about 190 - 210 deg with that cooler... I hit a brick & broke the cooler, & bought a "STACKED PLATE" type and made a direct replacement, and my trans instantly started to run 170 - 190 about 15 deg cooler ALL THE TIME..

That was with my 1996 C4 with an A4 trans... I now have a 2005 A4 and will be putting in a high stall converter next week, & I'm for SURE going with the STACKED PLATE TYPE !!

I've never used an oil cooler for engine oil only for my auto trans... but I'm sure it will work just as well for engine oil....
Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would get a Z06 one that from a pre ZR1 era with the lines. It bolts up and and all the lines fit.

I bought a new car take off from Breathless and am glad I did it. Also, if you put a supercharger on, the cooler doesn't fit, so you find them in the sale section on a regular basis.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 AM
jimmyb496
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
I'm "not" recommending any particular brand, but AM suggesting a "Type"

Get a STACKED PLATE TYPE not a finned aluminum... I had a finned aluminium trans cooler, and my trans used to run about 190 - 210 deg with that cooler... I hit a brick & broke the cooler, & bought a "STACKED PLATE" type and made a direct replacement, and my trans instantly started to run 170 - 190 about 15 deg cooler ALL THE TIME..

That was with my 1996 C4 with an A4 trans... I now have a 2005 A4 and will be putting in a high stall converter next week, & I'm for SURE going with the STACKED PLATE TYPE !!

I've never used an oil cooler for engine oil only for my auto trans... but I'm sure it will work just as well for engine oil....
Which who's oil cooler will you be using on your C5 and where do you get it?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 AM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimmyb496
Which who's oil cooler will you be using on your C6 and where do you get it?

Thanks
Check with either Jegs, or Summit Racing Both sell "STACKED PLATE TYPE"

Or you can look up "Stacked Plate Cooler" on Yahoo or Google !

Be sure to check the size as they come in different sizes & thicknesses..
Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Really need to know why you need the oil cooling. If you are doing frequent road racing, a stand alone cooler is the best option. You can get complete kits from DRM, Pfadt etc or do your own (for much less $$s). For mild use, the Z06 kit should work fine. If you are looking for additional water cooling, you can get the combo rad with oil cooler built in. What are you doing that is pushing up the oil temps?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Really need to know why you need the oil cooling. If you are doing frequent road racing, a stand alone cooler is the best option. You can get complete kits from DRM, Pfadt etc or do your own (for much less $$s). For mild use, the Z06 kit should work fine. If you are looking for additional water cooling, you can get the combo rad with oil cooler built in. What are you doing that is pushing up the oil temps?
Unfortunately we no longer manufacture our Oil Cooler Kits. Ultimately it came down to interest... even though the kits included a really neat duct to force air through the cooler on the C5 the sales volume just wasn't there to continue the product.

We did use an oil filter adapter plate available through Lingenfelter, and a Mocal cooler in those kits. You can probably come up with something on your own with those parts.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Unfortunately we no longer manufacture our Oil Cooler Kits. Ultimately it came down to interest... even though the kits included a really neat duct to force air through the cooler on the C5 the sales volume just wasn't there to continue the product.

We did use an oil filter adapter plate available through Lingenfelter, and a Mocal cooler in those kits. You can probably come up with something on your own with those parts.
With your knowledge about oil cooling i.e. engine OR transmission, can tell me if you think I'm going in the right direction by getting a "Stacked Plate" (as opposed to "Finned Aluminum) cooler for the trans fluid..

When I had my 96 (LT1) I had a "Finned Aluminum" and trans temps were around 190 in normal driving, I hit a brick that fell off a truck in-front of me, & the AutoZone store had a "Stacked Plate" type so I got that, & my trans temps instantly were 170 in normal driving, and in heavy stop & go traffic it would go to 190 - 200 at MOST..

I seem to have gotten better cooling from a "Stacked Plate" type over the finned aluminium...

Are there any "downsides" to a "Stacked Plate" type over the finned type????

I don't do any road racing or AutoX .. just 1/4 mile (with 20 min cool down time between runs, and sometimes I get stuck in Garden State Parkway (stop & go) traffic after racing..

Also are A&N fittings a MUST.. or can I get by using the correct hose and clamps...
Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I still think you are making this way to complex. Just get a Z06 cooler and all the lines fit, no issues with routing and your oil stays cool.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by timd38
I still think you are making this way to complex. Just get a Z06 cooler and all the lines fit, no issues with routing and your oil stays cool.
Which post are you referring to ?? About "ENGINE Oil" or about "Transmission Fluid/Oil" ???

I'm NOT worried about " ENGINE OIL" temp... my MAIN CONCERN is Transmission Oil Temperature!!

Last edited by jpee; 09-04-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jpee
Which post are you referring to ?? About "ENGINE Oil" or about "Transmission Fluid/Oil" ???

I'm NOT worried about " ENGINE OIL" temp... my MAIN CONCERN is Transmission Oil Temperature!!
Sorry engine oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for an oil cooler

Quick Reply: Recommendations for an oil cooler