C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GS with ZR1 axle from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Default 2011 GS with ZR1 axle from the factory?

Has anyone ever seen or heard of 2011 Grand Sport 6 speed coming from the factory with a driver's side ZR1 axle?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The only difference would be the ZR1 axle is stronger so if they had a parts supply problem why not substitute a better part Vs waiting for the correct part to be ordered and delivered thus keeping production moving. Since production quantities were and are low and even in 2011 not much time until C6 Production ends they may have just ordered ZR1 parts to finish out production in order to keep overall parts costs down and your axle was when they phased them in.

Bill
Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Bill...That's what I'm hoping for and will be very happy if someone else has it too....the bigger shaft is definitely a good thing...as long as it wasnt because the previous owner snapped the original. After seeing it last night next to another 11 GS that didn't have it, I was hoping I got lucky and not screwed.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:56 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Has anyone ever seen or heard of 2011 Grand Sport 6 speed coming from the factory with a driver's side ZR1 axle?
How can you tell the difference? Have a '12 GS, but still curious. Next time I have the car on the air will check it. And makes sense, since the left rear wheel is the one with constant power (right one is driven by the differential LSD). If left rear wheel doesn't slip, I don't believe power flows to the other wheel, so the shaft takes a lot less abuse over time.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

In for more info on broken shafts... was a problem for C5's with higher than average power,,, is it the same for C6's?

Is replacing this shaft a reasonable preventative measure? (assuming the rear is already apart for some other reason??)
Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
How can you tell the difference? Have a '12 GS, but still curious. Next time I have the car on the air will check it. And makes sense, since the left rear wheel is the one with constant power (right one is driven by the differential LSD). If left rear wheel doesn't slip, I don't believe power flows to the other wheel, so the shaft takes a lot less abuse over time.
Torque always flows to both shafts equally, even when one wheel is spinning. Each shaft is driven by their respective side gear connected through the differential gears and the LSD...you should probably study a drawing of a limited slip differential to understand the power flow so you don't make silly posts like this.

GM uses the different size axles on each side to dampen wheel hop.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

In my case, it is very easy. There is a big sticker on the shaft that says "ZR1" with the part number...and it is noticeably thicker than the passenger side. I will take a few pics tonight or tomorrow and post here for you to see.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Torque always flows to both shafts equally, even when one wheel is spinning. Each shaft is driven by their respective side gear connected through the differential gears and the LSD...you should probably study a drawing of a limited slip differential to understand the power flow so you don't make silly posts like this.

GM uses the different size axles on each side to dampen wheel hop.

From talking with the engineers at Bowling Green, it's a two fold reason. One is because slightly more power does get transmitted to one of them, and yes, if they make the sizes drastically different, it greatly reduces the drive line resonance (which really helps reduce wheel hop).
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Seadawg
which really helps reduce wheel hop.
Im hoping....

I just have not heard of anyone else with a Grand Sport mention they had it on their cars too.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Thanks Bill...That's what I'm hoping for and will be very happy if someone else has it too....the bigger shaft is definitely a good thing...as long as it wasnt because the previous owner snapped the original. After seeing it last night next to another 11 GS that didn't have it, I was hoping I got lucky and not screwed.
what if he did?...at least he didn't go cheap on the replacement
Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Seadawg
From talking with the engineers at Bowling Green, it's a two fold reason. One is because slightly more power does get transmitted to one of them, and yes, if they make the sizes drastically different, it greatly reduces the drive line resonance (which really helps reduce wheel hop).
Seriously, go study a drawing of a LSD...I can't imagine any engineer making that statement. There is simply no way more power can be transmitted to one axle than the other, absolutely impossible. Give me the name of the engineer at Bowling Green so I can talk to him, otherwise you are just name dropping in a sad attempt to give credibility to your impossible statement.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:43 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

In my case, it is very easy. There is a big sticker on the shaft that says "ZR1" with the part number...and it is noticeably thicker than the passenger side. I will take a few pics tonight or tomorrow and post here for you to see.
My daughter has a '11 GS M6 built in Feb '11, I'll look at it this weekend to see if it has the ZR1 axle on the passenger side.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Torque always flows to both shafts equally
You're the one who shouldn't make silly statements. Oh, forgot the . Your statement is true for a Banshee ATV; you wouldn't be able to turn without destroying the tires (and making a racket) in short order if it was true for cars. The 'slipping' side might have 98, 95, 90, 50, or whatever % of torque from the side directly connected by gears, but not the same, since it can slip by design. Put extra FM in your LSD and it'd be the equivalent of an open differential, with only one wheel getting the torque all the time. In most LSDs, the 'clutch' side engages when there's slip, but that happens very quickly. There're several types of LSDs, but I haven't received my 2012 service manual, so don't know yet exactly what kind is in our car, but at least it's fully mechanical (don't like the electronically-controlled ones myself). By the way, the only differentials capable to apply equal torque to both wheels are Ferrari's 'E-diff' (hydraulically-controlled), and the so-called 'torque-vectoring' ones (electronically-controlled), since they control BOTH shafts independently (none is directly connected by gears). LSDs, by definition, only control one side. But are MUCH simpler, almost equally effective, and you'd never walk if the system (clutches, cones, etc) fails.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-10-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

My daughter has a '11 GS M6 built in Feb '11, I'll look at it this weekend to see if it has the ZR1 axle on the passenger side.
Thank you Rich...it's good to hear from you again...I hope all is well with you and your family.

I'm fairly sure this was a lucky accident for me...I bought the car from someone I knew...but he assured me up and down that nothing was ever changed on the car (he was the original owner) but there were a few little things that irked me...like the abs and shock wires weren't routed exactly right...a few retention clips were broken, and I could swear the cradle bolts had been removed. The major issue to me is really not what the reason it was there, but if I was told the truth. Everything else on the car is so clean and in good shape, im sure I'm just being paranoid.

But as my good buddy Joe G reminds me...a 6060 and ZR1 shaft = potential for way too much fun
Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

a 6060 and ZR1 shaft = potential for way too much fun
That reminds me reading the ZR1 shafts have more splines than the 'lesser' Vettes, including the Z06, I believe. And/or are larger in diameter (not familiar with the ZR1). Is either one of those the case? If so, the differential would be different too. Curious about that.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-10-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:37 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

You're the one who shouldn't make silly statements. Oh, forgot the . Your statement is true for a Banshee ATV; you wouldn't be able to turn without destroying the tires (and making a racket) in short order if it was true for cars. The 'slipping' side might have 98, 95, 90, 50, or whatever % of torque from the side directly connected by gears, but not the same, since it can slip by design. Put extra FM in your LSD and it'd be the equivalent of an open differential, with only one wheel getting the torque all the time. In most LSDs, the 'clutch' side engages when there's slip, but that happens very quickly. There're several types of LSDs, but I haven't received my 2012 service manual, so don't know yet exactly what kind is in our car, but at least it's fully mechanical (don't like the electronically-controlled ones myself). By the way, the only differentials capable to apply equal torque to both wheels are Ferrari's 'E-diff' (hydraulically-controlled), and the so-called 'torque-vectoring' ones (electronically-controlled), since they control BOTH shafts independently (none is directly connected by gears). LSDs, by definition, only control one side. But are MUCH simpler, almost equally effective, and you'd never walk if the system (clutches, cones, etc) fails.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 GS with ZR1 axle from the factory?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Thread has potential. There are a few notable posters in here with the addition of a few trolls.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JUIC3D
Thread has potential. There are a few notable posters in here with the addition of a few trolls.

I resemble that remark.

Nice new screen name to go with your new plate!

You should change your city to say "formerly JustinJor" or people are gonna think you're a troll yourself.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Thanks Joe, I'll see about doing that. You resemble the former, not the latter of course

Quick Reply: 2011 GS with ZR1 axle from the factory?