C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banging / Clunking noise at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:02 AM
flyhi152
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banging / Clunking noise at low speeds

I have complained to different dealerships about a loud banging or clunking noise on my 2008 Corvette (automatic, Z51, 16,000 miles) at speeds around 15 mph. It appears like this noise gets louder when the car is hot, it sound like the noise from a trailer hitch at acceleration. It appears like this is something that can't be fixed, I have not even gotten an answer to where this noise is coming from. It looks like the only solution is to get rid of this car.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

My guess is the sway bar end links are worn...or just not attached tightly.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM
flyhi152
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cclive
My guess is the sway bar end links are worn...or just not attached tightly.
thanks, I will talk to the shop to check this.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 689 Likes on 512 Posts

flyhi152,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue. Are you taking your Corvette to you local Chevrolet dealership to have this problem addressed?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 PM
flyhi152
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
flyhi152,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue. Are you taking your Corvette to you local Chevrolet dealership to have this problem addressed?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
I just took it to Brown & Brown Chevrolet in Mesa and their technician said that all the Corvettes have this clunking and banging noise at low speeds. I can't believe it.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

WTF, run as fast as you can from that "technician"......and dealership.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by flyhi152
I just took it to Brown & Brown Chevrolet in Mesa and their technician said that all the Corvettes have this clunking and banging noise at low speeds. I can't believe it.
And you shouldn't. Just more GM dealer BS. I swear I have heard more stories about people walking out of GM dealerships than any other auto manufacturer. They either don't want to or don't know how to deal with issues. Whenever I have to go to the dealer, I print out any recalls or TSBs. I hand them to service manager and say (nicely) here, this is what's wrong, fix it.

Go somewhere else. It's most likely the endlinks. A search will give you a lot of info and probably decent DIY instructions if you're up to it.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also investigate your half-shaft spindle nut torque; and also understand that there is inevitably some pinion lash in the differential that, under the right circumstances, might also cause the sharp "clink" you hear.

At least, that's what I think I've heard of virtually every corvette I've ever owned... but who knows!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM
flyhi152
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shado
And you shouldn't. Just more GM dealer BS. I swear I have heard more stories about people walking out of GM dealerships than any other auto manufacturer. They either don't want to or don't know how to deal with issues. Whenever I have to go to the dealer, I print out any recalls or TSBs. I hand them to service manager and say (nicely) here, this is what's wrong, fix it.

Go somewhere else. It's most likely the endlinks. A search will give you a lot of info and probably decent DIY instructions if you're up to it.
It should not be the customer's job to diagnose the problem. I am under the impression that this is the standard answer for anything that they can't fix: It is "normal" that the door won't open if I hold the fob in the "wrong" hand, it is "normal" that the "key fob inside" alarm honks the horn even if there is no key fob inside the vehicle... and now this clunking / banging trailer hitch type noise is "normal".
Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
flyhi152
Intermediate

I understand that some sort of noise is normal but it shouldn't sound like you are pulling a trailer on a hitch...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM
V8ANGER
Instructor

I've got a similar noise however I've narrowed mine down to when I'm on or off throttle. I'll need to downshift to make the noise and gas it to make it again. Once I gas it and switch to a higher gear it won't do it again, I'll need to downshift again. It's kind of like a loose drive shaft or axle but doesn't get louder the faster I go, nor does it get louder the harder I gas or downshift. Just waiting for it to break. Odd thing is though the noise went away for a few weeks when I took out my shock and upper control arm and put it back...suspension related possibly...
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,038 Posts

My car had the clunk/grinding noise at low speed. I change the rear end oil to the new GM Dexos and it went away.

The fob will honk the horn three time even if it isn't in the car. Mine does it if I have the fob in my right pocket when I get out of the car.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:21 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Try at Gateway (101 & I-10) on the west side. The service advisor to ask for is John Sheldon and he's a DD Z06 owner. The shop mgr is a past Vette owner and enjoys performance cars. They will spend whatever time it takes to resolve your problem. I've been to 4 other Phoenix area dealers for different problems and had damage and/or attitude issues steming from ignorance. So far, Gateway is golden.

There are a couple of shops that lean heavily toward Vette work in Tempe, if Gateway is too far for you.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:10 AM
flyhi152
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Try at Gateway (101 & I-10) on the west side. The service advisor to ask for is John Sheldon and he's a DD Z06 owner. The shop mgr is a past Vette owner and enjoys performance cars. They will spend whatever time it takes to resolve your problem. I've been to 4 other Phoenix area dealers for different problems and had damage and/or attitude issues steming from ignorance. So far, Gateway is golden.

There are a couple of shops that lean heavily toward Vette work in Tempe, if Gateway is too far for you.
Thanks for your advice - I just made an appointment with John after Thorobred's service manager told me "the noise is normal, all Corvettes do that ..." (without even listening to the noise) Strange that until now nobody has posted a comment like "mine has the banging / clunking noise as well" if all the Corvettes do that.

Last edited by flyhi152; 07-18-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks for your advice - I just made an appointment with John after Thorobred's service manager told me "the noise is normal, all Corvettes do that ..." (without even listening to the noise) Strange that until now nobody has posted a comment like "mine has the banging / clunking noise as well" if all the Corvettes do that.
i have that noise and it appears to be a bad cv halfshaft
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM
flyhi152
Intermediate

Default Shops in Tempe

Unfortunately, Gateway was another appointment. Foreman heard the noise but it was "I am afraid we can't fix that". John wanted to charge me $ 70 for "diagnosing the problem" even if it is a preexisting condition that I have addressed several times at Van Chevrolet while the bumper to bumper warranty was still in effect. He gave me Chevrolet's Customer Assistance number and I could not reach them, the calls are forwarded to "Roadside Assistance" and they told me that Customer Assistance can not be reached.

What are the names of those shops in Tempe that you mentioned ?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Ryan07
Intermediate

[QUOTE=flyhi152;1581384939]Foreman heard the noise but it was "I am afraid we can't fix that". John wanted to charge me $ 70 for "diagnosing the problem" QUOTE]

That is just plain stupid. Image what they would say if you wanted to buy a car from them. Yeah, we don't have that one on the lot. Sorry, that'll be $34,000.

You should PM Evan Chevy Cust Svc.

Get notified of new replies

To Banging / Clunking noise at low speeds

Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Had the same issue on my 05'. Here's what I found that corrected it...
Good luck!
H

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-of-my-c6.html
Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
flyhi152
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Ryan07;1581385279]
Foreman heard the noise but it was "I am afraid we can't fix that". John wanted to charge me $ 70 for "diagnosing the problem" QUOTE]

That is just plain stupid. Image what they would say if you wanted to buy a car from them. Yeah, we don't have that one on the lot. Sorry, that'll be $34,000.

You should PM Evan Chevy Cust Svc.
And when I asked him to demonstrate on any other Corvette that the clunk - clunk is "normal" and that they all have that noise, it was "we can't take out Corvettes on a testdrive. (It only takes about 1/2 mile to hear it and could be done on their parking lot...
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
flyhi152
Intermediate

[QUOTE=flyhi152;1581394620][QUOTE=Ryan07;1581385279]

And when I asked him to demonstrate on any other Corvette that the clunk - clunk is "normal" and that they all have that noise, it was "we can't take out Corvettes on a testdrive. (It only takes about 1/2 mile to hear it and could be done on their parking lot...)

If it is "Slack", probably something is worn out too much and anything that's worn out can be exchanged. To me it looks like it is common among Chevy dealerships to send customers away with the argument "this noise is normal". they like to charge $ 170,- for an alignment or $ 100 for an oil change because customers can't complain but they don't want to deal with something that they might not be able to fix, so the easiest solution for them is not to do anything at all.

Quick Reply: Banging / Clunking noise at low speeds