C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 C6 makes 527 rwhp!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JUIC3D
FWIW, the best I ever got in my car on street tires was 12.9@119 compared to 10.6@129 on the exact same setup with my dragpack. I have 0 traction with my street tires, especially on the dragstrip, so I had to peddle it the whole 1320' just to stay out of the wall. At no point during my run could I even go full throttle as the *** end would want to come around on me.

I don't believe your 12.1 timeslip is doing the car any justice and I would honestly expect you to pick up another 5-7mph when you have some DRs.
Thanks for this. Most of the guys that saw me run, said that the 12.1 was nothing to hang my head low for. Again, considering the power it makes and the street tire factor, it was still impressive.

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
not rich if the motor is knock limited due to compression/fuel quality... you'll never see me tuning any ls3/ls7 at 12.8 AF on pump gas...
Car was tuned with Shell vpower 91 octane - ethanol free. IIRC Spinmonster chimed in to clarify - the ls motors make considerable more power, the richer it is, if tuning with 91

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
is your AFR gauge setup for e10 fuel? if so its always going to export a gas af value, even though the "actual af" is more rich.... so to clarify this lets just say i generally do not tune the ls3/ls7's leaner then Lambda .85 on pump gas...
I installed the afr gauge after the dyno tune. While doing highway runs I watched the gauge. Gauge was never adjusted and in the manual it says the factory setting is for gasoline afr at P0 (position 0)
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I've tuned my car at 12.7-12.9 and richened it up to 12.2-12.4 and saw 0 gain at the dragstrip. Given that my car sees a little KR at the 12.7-12.9 range and 0 KR at 12.2-12.4, I keep it on the rich side. YMMV.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:39 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
It is a cam-only car.
Well the OP explicitly listed ported heads in his mod-list, so I assumed they were ported. I didn't notice he said no material was removed in his explanation.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM
hangtime204
Instructor

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Well the OP explicitly listed ported heads in his mod-list, so I assumed they were ported. I didn't notice he said no material was removed in his explanation.
I thought I clarified this mod on this thread but it was on ls1tech that I did, so Ill do so now. When we had the heads off we knew the port size didnt need to be any bigger, intake or the exhaust side. We didnt use the carbide bit on the intake side much if any, only around the stem area to sharpen it up. Same said for the exhaust runner. Time was moreso spent on polishing up the runners, removing the roughness from the casting - especially on the exhaust runners. Maybe one of these days when I have the intake off, Ill try to sneak a few pictures in. I spoke to the guys at vengeance, and as mentioned the torque is right where it should be for the cam, but the hp was 30-40 more than expected. They guess it's due to the heads/ported tb/ported manifold.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 PM
ShaneFap
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JUIC3D
I've tuned my car at 12.7-12.9 and richened it up to 12.2-12.4 and saw 0 gain at the dragstrip. Given that my car sees a little KR at the 12.7-12.9 range and 0 KR at 12.2-12.4, I keep it on the rich side. YMMV.

Also i got this Cam today for a early Xmas gift from my GF
Along with the vengeance spring kit with pushrods
Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hangtime204
I thought I clarified this mod on this thread but it was on ls1tech that I did, so Ill do so now. When we had the heads off we knew the port size didnt need to be any bigger, intake or the exhaust side. We didnt use the carbide bit on the intake side much if any, only around the stem area to sharpen it up. Same said for the exhaust runner. Time was moreso spent on polishing up the runners, removing the roughness from the casting - especially on the exhaust runners. Maybe one of these days when I have the intake off, Ill try to sneak a few pictures in. I spoke to the guys at vengeance, and as mentioned the torque is right where it should be for the cam, but the hp was 30-40 more than expected. They guess it's due to the heads/ported tb/ported manifold.
Ok, then strictly by definition your heads are in fact ported/polished, ever so slightly of course, but ported/polished nonetheless. Thank you for clearing that up.

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
It is a cam-only car.
No, actually it is not. See above.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 AM
chugcatsts01
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of HP but tourqe is low, too much lift or timng advanced too far. The tourqe is generally 25 ft lb's lower than HP but that is just what my experience has been. I am only commenting because the EPA has announced 'no more ethanol' soon after the first of the year. The extended drought has reduced corn production drastictly, its in the news media, just google it, there ain't no water in the west and midwest. Most of our beef comes from Canada!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I missed this thread here. From the same shop there is a thread on LS1 Tech, a different build that indicated unrealistic numbers for a Mustang dyno.

Here are my comments from the OP's thread LS1 Tech thread on the OP dyno numbers:

I seen a dyno sheet from the same shop on a different build, I looked at that a few times as well.

If that Mustang dyno is accurately calibrated to manufacturer's spec & you dyno the same vehicle on a accurately calibrated DJ dyno. You will see a minimum of 10% higher indicated RWHP & most likely a 13% higher indicated number..........

There is one table in the Mustang calibration file that is easily changed so the DJ & Mustang numbers are similar. That table does not affect the accuracy of dyno only how the parasitic multiplier is applied. That is direct form a Mustang Engineer, I asked a few years ago.

I see no issue with doing that if it is disclosed to vehicle owner so no false hopes are generated. Also in this case it would be easier for members to discuss & more accurately determine if the track MPH makes sense.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
hangtime204
Instructor

Originally Posted by CTD
I missed this thread here. From the same shop there is a thread on LS1 Tech, a different build that indicated unrealistic numbers for a Mustang dyno.

Here are my comments from the OP's thread LS1 Tech thread on the OP dyno numbers:

I seen a dyno sheet from the same shop on a different build, I looked at that a few times as well.

If that Mustang dyno is accurately calibrated to manufacturer's spec & you dyno the same vehicle on a accurately calibrated DJ dyno. You will see a minimum of 10% higher indicated RWHP & most likely a 13% higher indicated number..........

There is one table in the Mustang calibration file that is easily changed so the DJ & Mustang numbers are similar. That table does not affect the accuracy of dyno only how the parasitic multiplier is applied. That is direct form a Mustang Engineer, I asked a few years ago.

I see no issue with doing that if it is disclosed to vehicle owner so no false hopes are generated. Also in this case it would be easier for members to discuss & more accurately determine if the track MPH makes sense.
Addressing this post and #47:

The mods listed in this thread, and in the thread posted are 1s1tech are carbon copies. I know, because I copy and pasted it. As mentioned above the torque was on par with what was to be expected from it according to VRacing, who sold me the cam/kit. Perhaps even with the extra mods, and for whatever reason I dont know, that was all the torque I could produce. Maybe different heads, headers, etc would help a bit, but I highly doubt I'd be gaining an extra 30 or 40 rwhp according to your "rule of thumb" for dyno numbers.

Last edited by hangtime204; 12-14-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

How about we all wait until the OP has had a chance to get back to the track with DR's and get some timeslips.
Dyno sheets (aka paper HP) are tuning tools. Timeslips tell the real story.

Quick Reply: LS3 C6 makes 527 rwhp!