C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Clutch Pedal Stuck (at top...not on floor)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Liner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Clutch Pedal Stuck (at top...not on floor)

I'm getting things back together after losing all my clutch fluid. I installed a remote bleeder and all is back together.
I went to bleed the system (using pedal and remote bleeder). Pulled pedal up (since it was stuck down from losing fluid) and heard suction as it pulled fluid from the reservoir.
Now it won't push down or pump. It's stuck at the top with only 1/2 to 1 inch travel and it doesn't pump fluid. It's hard as a rock.
I removed the spring thinking maybe it was holding it up somehow, but no change.
I've tried to pull fluid from the bleeder end with a mighty vac. No fluid bleed.
It seems like the plunger is stuck, but how/why? What can I do?
Any Help??!!
TIA!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:07 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Check the connection to the slave. It's the one under the brake booster. If its not put together correctly, you may get these symptoms.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Liner
Instructor

Looks like Taken nailed it. I pull-tested everything and sure enough that f-ing connector under the brake booster popped loose.

I wrestled with that fitting for hours last weekend before finally thinking I had it. Is there some kind of trick to it?

I can really only get one hand under there, so squeezing it together and sliding the cotter pin is is next to impossible - obviously I didn't get it right last time.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Get the clip started but dont let it fall completely into the groove. Grip the part that comes up from the slave with your pinky wrapped around the line and the part from the car with the other 4 fingers. Squeeze like hell and slip the clip down with your thumb. It may take a couple tries. Pull on the connection to ensure it made up well.

Hope that helps.

Sean
Old 06-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Liner
Instructor

That's what I was afraid of... I've tried it that way probably 100 times. I can get enough squeeze on the fitting, but not a good angle with any other fingers to press in the pin.

To make matters worse, the pin has to just barely sit in the groove when starting to fit it together. If it goes in too far, it prohibits the fitting from closing together. I can't tell you how many times that pin has fallen out -- once into the lower wheel well.

Really pissing me off!!!!

Thanks for the answer, tho. I'm thinking my hand needs to be bigger/stronger to get this done.

I've got to come up with an alternative. If the brake booster wasn't in the way it would be a snap.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:46 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Use your left hand, makes the angle better. You can also physically press the slave side into the master side, forcing it against the firewall so to speak. That will help you get more leverage.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Sean did it the first time we took it apart but when I had to pull everything back apart, I had a hell of a time with that part of the install. I ended up putting the clip all the way in and squeezing it till it clicked together. I actually dropped one of the clips into the abyss trying it the first way. Thankfully I had the spare clip leftover from the original line.

Removing the drivetrain was easy. . .clipping the slave line in was aggravating to say the least.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Clutch Pedal Stuck (at top...not on floor)

Quick Reply: Help! Clutch Pedal Stuck (at top...not on floor)