C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Cam, intersted in purchasing some tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Installing a Cam, intersted in purchasing some tools

Hello,

I will be installing a cam and valve springs on my 2005 LS2 Corvette. I am a novice installer with very little cam experience. Although I did go to school for Auto Tech a number of years ago, we spent very little time on degreeing of cams or performance installation, mostly focusing on the dot to do method and the purpose of the cam and its operation.

This is my first cam install and I am hoping it is not going to be my last. Friends of mine have been interested in doing this themselves as well, however everyone around me is scared, and I am going to be the one to take the leap of faith and give this a try.

I will be installing the cam with the heads on. I will be reusing the original lifters. Everything else will be replaced. The cam is a custom cam by Hendrix Engineering.

I am looking to purchase a JPR Cam tool, as well as a spring compression tool (specifically thinking about the comp cams one as it looks easy to use), and a degree wheels as I would like to learn how to use one so I can do the job properly.

Any other good to have items? What are your thoughts on an easy to use degree wheel?

DG
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I put mine in I didn't degree the cam. just put it in dot to dot. as for a spring compression tool I got one that i could keep the heads on when I changed the valve spring just used a compression tester to put air in the cyl to hold up the valves. the tool would compress both springs at once it was pretty easy and the LS motor you can just rotate the cam before you pull it and the lifters will go up into the keepers in there. but some people use some little rod thing to do the samething.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Luv2Fly
Instructor

Valve spring compressor, flywheel lock tool and something to pull up and/or hold up the lifters. Also some loctite and a new crank bolt in addition to the normal items like gaskets etc. I also use an adapted compression tester tool that screws into the spark plug hole, has an air line attached to it to hold up the valves while swapping springs.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 PM
CWHPARTS
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I have, love and have used many times

lingenfelter valve spring compressor

thunder racing lifters retaining sticks. (SOME SAY NOT NESSACERY BUT THEY HAVENT HAD A LIFTER FALL)

And i use the hose from my compression gauge to supply air to the cylinder to keep the valves from dropping.

Just make sure you use a new crank bolt when going back together many forget about this or are to cheap to spend $7 on a new one.

YOU'LL SPEND A LIL $$$ ON THESE BUT JUST RENT THEM TO YOUR BUDDIES LATER OR LOAN THEM OUT FOR BEER

Last edited by CWHPARTS; 06-06-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm interesting in installing a cam also later and trying to gather as much info as possible. Have you seen the DIY threads on this site? That might give you more details on the install and tools needed.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
narfdanarf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Balancer puller
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
Balancer puller
Borrow one ($0.00) from Auto Zone loaner tool program

They call it a "Chrysler Harmonic Balancer Puller"

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 06-06-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by all the LS2 failed lifter threads I've read on this forum, I wouldn't be too quick to re-use the OEM LS2 lifters on a new cam.

Spring for a set of new LS7 lifters and do the job right.

This is specifically WHY I chose not to put a cam in my car when I had the junk OEM balancer off.
I didn't feel like pulling the heads if I didn't have (couldn't afford) a better set to put back on.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 PM
ginarose12
1st Gear

Hey I stumbled across this and thought I'd help as best I could. This website has a large variety of springs and related tools. I hope you find what you need!

http://stanleyspring.com/
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I used a variety of resources when I did my cam.

The wooden dowel method works great for keeping the lifters up but it was a tight fit and I was afraid I was going to snap them off inside the motor. If I had to do it again, I would use the right tool.

Also, without an adjustable cam gear, you will need to just install the cam straight up. There is no adjustment in the OEM gears and being a tooth off will be about 8* of advance or retard--likely more than you'd want.

I used this link and also the write up by Jayplay on this forum.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 06-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. I am going to start to collect those tools little by little.

Whats the extent of this failed lifter problem as I have heard/been told nothing about it in my hunt for a cam.

Also, what are your thoughts on DOT to DOT vs. Degreeing. I am not looking for a long winded explanation as there are a few of those threads already; more looking to see how many of you actually did it.

DG
Old 06-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Danspeed1
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. I am going to start to collect those tools little by little.

Whats the extent of this failed lifter problem as I have heard/been told nothing about it in my hunt for a cam.

Also, what are your thoughts on DOT to DOT vs. Degreeing. I am not looking for a long winded explanation as there are a few of those threads already; more looking to see how many of you actually did it.

DG
Dot to dot will be fine, I've install several LS series cam with the dot to dot process with out any issues.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed a cam this weekend, made a balancer installer out of 18mm all thread and some hardened nuts, hate the thought of using the stock bolt to pull the balancer on. Long 18mm wrench and deep 18mm socket with extensions to get the rack out of the way, I used 1/4 dowels to hold the lifters up although none even dropped to touch the dowel. If using a degree wheel you'll need a bolt and a wire hanger to make a pointer out of, and on the dial indicator remember a magnetic base won't work on aluminum heads...

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a Cam, intersted in purchasing some tools

Quick Reply: Installing a Cam, intersted in purchasing some tools