C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure at start up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 AM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No oil pressure at start up!

Gosh...I am having this problem on a New 2012 C6 with 4500 miles. Could the oil pump really be bad? wow

The pressure is at zero on startup...its not noisy...but once i give it one solid rev to 3k or so the oil pressure pops right up to 40 or so...If i do not do this my oil pressure just sits at zero..however i do notice my oil pressure at idle is between 13 to 18 psi....hmmm...geez i really would hate to take my car to the dealer.

Also if i shut the car down...then start it right up the oil pressure is fine...but if i wait longer than 15 min or so it starts up at zero. Wierd...I waited 10 min once and it was fine....don't understand that.

I hear it's a tough job and not far away from the same tear down that a cam swap would take.

Well any ideas before i take it to the dealer tomorrow?

Found this thread in a search:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1580895198

Last edited by ZYUL8r; 05-24-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is the sender unit ; not the pump.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Has the car been torn apart? You haven't done a cam swap, timing chain or oil pump upgrade, right? If so, I would suspect the pick up tube o-ring.

If the car is stock, most likely the oil pressure sender as stated above.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:10 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by ZYUL8r
Gosh...I am having this problem on a New 2012 C6 with 4500 miles. Could the oil pump really be bad? wow

The pressure is at zero on startup...its not noisy...but once i give it one solid rev to 3k or so the oil pressure pops right up to 40 or so...If i do not do this my oil pressure just sits at zero..however i do notice my oil pressure at idle is between 13 to 18 psi....hmmm...geez i really would hate to take my car to the dealer.

Also if i shut the car down...then start it right up the oil pressure is fine...but if i wait longer than 15 min or so it starts up at zero. Wierd...I waited 10 min once and it was fine....don't understand that.

I hear it's a tough job and not far away from the same tear down that a cam swap would take.

Well any ideas before i take it to the dealer tomorrow?

Found this thread in a search:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1580895198
Take it to the Dealer..... Its still under warrenty so let them deal with it.

Mark
Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

If bone stock, and just started doing that, it's probably the sending unit or gauge. If DIC digital reading is the same as the gauge, then my money is on the sending unit too. If it was my car, and the part is not too expensive, I'd change it myself due to my distrust in service departments. But I know the best thing to do is to take it in and let a dealer find your problem. I'd, however, wrap the crap out of my car everywhere, to avoid stains, scratches, scuffs, and any other such thing that of course was there before if it happens . Good luck man.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Luv2Fly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would let the dealer fix it. A quick test to see if it is a pump or sender is take off the oil fill cap and look in while someone starts the car. If you see some oil splashing around you know the pump is working.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:08 PM
iluvmyc6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as others have said, it's possibly the sending unit.

Other possibility is the o-ring on the pickup tube may have been torn on installation. it is probably 1 of these 2 issues.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

So I took my car out to the dealer this morning...
(Yes the car is completely stock, and never opened up)

I turned it on...oil press was 0

I let it idle...it was starting to get noisy
and then the pressure jumped all of a sudden and it began to sound normal.

Drove it fine with no issues, cold oil, high pressure.

Asked the dealer to do an oil change....i changed it at 1500 mls...now it has 4900...and they are going to look at the OP sender tomorrow.

So far the dealer has been quite nice and helpful.

I cringe and taking my car to dealer service departments, i've never had a good experience with any service dept. anywhere...I usually do all my own work.

Hopefully this is different. Thanks for the replies, they gave me peace of mind as i drove it 15 miles to the dealer.

Will post updates soon.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

compare guage with the reading on your DIC...or HUD both can show oil pressure...and see if all the same...might indicate its in the guage not the pump..
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 PM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

yeah DIC and guage are reading the same. So maybe its the sender...but letting it sit at zero and hearing noise...eeesh...i mean it didn't get loud but it seemed like it was about to...but then the pressure jumped up and quieted it down.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

yeah DIC and guage are reading the same. So maybe its the sender...but letting it sit at zero and hearing noise...eeesh...i mean it didn't get loud but it seemed like it was about to...but then the pressure jumped up and quieted it down.
That would make me worry as well. Especially if the noise goes away when indicated pressure goes up. Press the dealership to look into that. Otherwise you may have bigger problems later.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If the oil press is 0 at start but jumps up a while or after you rev the engine, you could have a sticking relief valve.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

If it is noisy when the oil pressure is at zero and then gets quiet when there is an indication of oil pressure, then my guess would be that you really don't have any oil pressure.

I would bet a sticking pressure relief valve........

Mark
Old 05-25-2012, 11:45 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I let it idle...it was starting to get noisy
and then the pressure jumped all of a sudden and it began to sound normal.
THAT is a totally different picture man. Forget the sender or gauge. You have an internal lubrication problem. I'm not that familiar with the lubrication system on this engine, so can't comment on that. But a sticking pressure relief valve makes sense to me. I wouldn't use the car other than driving it to dealer to get fixed. Looks like the oil pan has to come out. Hopefully an easy job. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 PM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

Default Update:

Ok so after reading all these great posts i decided to call the dealer, as they were pursuing an issue with the sender, and I saw the notes the service tech wrote down, and he didn't note the part about the noise.

Turns out that (while i don't know how true it is) that he was about to call me (really?) and before i could tell him my concerns he told me i needed a new oil pump, and that he was sorry but it would take a week to get my car back. (GEEZ) I know its a big job....but then i started getting stories about tools needed at other chevy dealers...yadda yadda
...really standard dealer verbage...

I just interrupted him politely and told him just make sure the job is done thoroughly and done right and i'll be happy...

Soo a very major service at about 5K.....BUT im lucky i didn't kill my engine before noticing....(I've went through a dealer engine replacement with my 370z due to catching about 60% water in the fuel..WHAT A HASSLE!)

I may have had this problem a long time before...because pretty much everytime i start my car i give it some gas while the guages are spanning ....doing this would hide the problem...because the car has to sit at 0 for a few seconds before the chime.

I just so happened one day to start the car without gasing it and got the chime for low oil pressure...

Im assuming the relief valve is for the oil pump and that the replacing the oil pump replaces the relief valve. Is that correct?

Last edited by ZYUL8r; 05-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Ok so after reading all these great posts i decided to call the dealer, as they were pursuing an issue with the sender, and I saw the notes the service tech wrote down, and he didn't note the part about the noise.

Turns out that (while i don't know how true it is) that he was about to call me (really?) and before i could tell him my concerns he told me i needed a new oil pump, and that he was sorry but it would take a week to get my car back. (GEEZ) I know its a big job....but then i started getting stories about tools needed at other chevy dealers...yadda yadda

I just interrupted him politely and told him just make sure the job is done thoroughly and done right and i'll be happy...

Soo a very major service at about 5K.....BUT im lucky i didn't kill my engine before noticing....(I've went through a dealer engine replacement with my 370z due to catching about 60% water in the fuel..WHAT A HASSLE!)

I may have had this problem a long time before...because pretty much everytime i start my car i give it some gas while the guages are spanning ....doing this would hide the problem...because the car has to sit at 0 for a few seconds before the chime.

I just so happened one day to start the car without gasing it and got the chime for low oil pressure...

Im assuming the relief valve is for the oil pump and that the replacing the oil pump replaces the relief valve. Is that correct?
I would be very concerned that you have some internal damage from the multiple starts with no oil pressure. Ask them what the noise was. Ask them to verify that there is no damage of any kind. Not sure how they would do that. Have them verify that your oil pressure is good.

I would be asking for a new motor ........

DH
Old 05-26-2012, 02:12 AM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

I know the noise was valvetrain clatter as oil wasn't making its way up...but before it could get too loud the pressure came on.

Synthetics kinda stick to parts better...so im sure my engine is fine....

I know exactly what a oil starved engine sounds like....and it doesn't last long.

It never got to that point. But we'll see....updates soon.

Get notified of new replies

To No oil pressure at start up!

Old 05-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I know the noise was valvetrain clatter as oil wasn't making its way up...but before it could get too loud the pressure came on.

Synthetics kinda stick to parts better...so im sure my engine is fine....

I know exactly what a oil starved engine sounds like....and it doesn't last long.

It never got to that point. But we'll see....updates soon.
Good luck. I started up my C5 one morning to let it warm up. Went in the house. Came back a while later and noticed there was no oil pressure (oil pump malfunctioned). Needed new engine

DH
Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I would be very concerned that you have some internal damage from the multiple starts with no oil pressure. Ask them what the noise was. Ask them to verify that there is no damage of any kind. Not sure how they would do that. Have them verify that your oil pressure is good. DH
I would send an oil sample to Blackstone after the repair is done before the oil is changed. Later! Frank

Last edited by fnsblum; 05-27-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would it take a week to do the job. Its a 4 hour job at best and thats if the guy is real slow, the pumps are usually in stock at their regional GMSPO warehouse which in my case is Reno NV and is only 2 days away.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure at start up!