C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing clutch (reservoir) fluid without waste...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:28 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Default Replacing clutch (reservoir) fluid without waste...

1. I would like to follow the widely-used method of frequently replacing the clutch fluid in reservoir.
  2. GM requires Super Dot4, not regular DOT4 (for much better wet boiling temps). This kind of fluid is expensive, and ATE TYP200 that I intend to use for this comes in 1L boxes, which is huge for this job.
  3. When you open a new brake fluid container, you start contaminating it with humidity, etc., and it is recommended that you dispose it when it was opened more than 2 weeks before.

My proposed solution:
I'll keep buying that ATE's 1-liter fluid, which is pretty cheap at this size, and split it into smaller containers right away to avoid contamination. In other words, I'll have a buch of small sealed containers having fresh fluid inside, and I'll go through one of them each time I'd like to refresh the clutch fluid; no more waste! Here is example for such containers: http://sciencekit.com/product.asp?pn...:referralID=NA

For those who'll mention, I don't have a Walmart very close to me, and I don't want to drive to one just for a few bottles of Prestone Besides, it is not Super Dot4, meaning it will boil earlier when it gets wet.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by X25; 05-20-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It's a good idea...but I've been swapping fluid since 2002, I always use the bottles up, with no troubles, and I'm pretty hard on my clutch. Each bottle lasts me 6 months or so.

I don't think it's the boiling point that is the issue with the clutch fluid, it's the fact it gets dirty from clutch dust and doesn't flow properly.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Great idea for keeping humidity out!

I tend to agree with Joe about the clutch fluid. I don't think it heats up enough to worry about boiling. I normally use the remainder of my opened bottles for clutch fluid once brake bleeding is complete and always keep the unopened "fresh" fluid only for the brakes. I've had GM fluid, Prestone Dot4, ATE and Motul all in there over the past 18 months and haven't felt any difference between them at the track. Brakes are another story though...
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Himm I'm also wondering if the type of containers I ordered will be good for break fluid.. I agree that it is more keeping the fluid clean than the boiling point, but the contamination also reduces boiling point further, so it makes sense to start with a higher boiling point
Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Ozer
I'll keep For those who'll mention, I don't have a Walmart very close to me, and I don't want to drive to one just for a few bottles of Prestone Besides, it is not Super Dot4, meaning it will boil earlier when it gets wet.

What do you guys think?
I think it's much-ado about nothing.

Super DOT 4 is nothing more than a synthetic DOT 4 and can be had in small bottles in most parts stores.

But if you insist, GM Super DOT 4 can be had for $7, which I don't think is that expensive, and comes in a metal container which is far superior to a plastic bottle.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:58 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Most plastics are moisture permeable. The plastic containers brake fluid comes includes a barrier material such as nylon to help keep moisture out.

Metal containers are best.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:06 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
Most plastics are moisture permeable. The plastic containers brake fluid comes includes a barrier material such as nylon to help keep moisture out.

Metal containers are best.
Indeed, I'm concerned about that, too. The cups I've ordered or to be used in labs and they explain the material used in details in their site. They give a few examples for the types of fluid that are safe to store, but I honestly am not completely sure if it will be good for storing break fluid. That said, if it's good enough to store for a month or two, it should give me enough time to go through them.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing clutch (reservoir) fluid without waste...

Quick Reply: Replacing clutch (reservoir) fluid without waste...