C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding On Cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
0modern-muscle
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco 08
I was under the impression that Comp Cams was one of the premier cam companies?
As Don had said, there expertise in the late model stuff is less than superior. They do a great job grinding and as Don said sometimes you run into a cam that is a different spec than what you ordered, we have never had that issue with comp. However sometimes I think the way that happens is someone grabs the wrong cam off the shelf. All of our cams we do at modern muscle are a custom grind and come direct from Comp. As Justin stated above they have a great lobe catalog that most everyone uses when designing a cam.

Comp is a great company in general, they have a strong product line and lately it seems like they own everything but their cam help seems to be more geared towards the early model generations. The technology of the car and approach has changed when designing a cam when comparing it to early model cars.

The best place to go for a cam is a place that specializes in your platform and builds these cars for a living. For example we are very familiar with the differences between the LS2 and LS3 platforms and what should be done in order to compensate for those differences.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Luv2Fly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to ask your wife or significant other if it matters . I like it when they say..."Why do you always smell like gas after you drive your car?"
Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv2Fly
Don't forget to ask your wife or significant other if it matters . I like it when they say..."Why do you always smell like gas after you drive your car?"
Switch to E85 and it's not that bad
Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Lots of great cams out there. I always have Futral Motorsports custom spec one our for me and they prefer Cam Motion for their grinds. Oh and please don't select a cam based on how it might "sound".
Old 05-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Tim Coltrain
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam

Thanks for everyones input on cam. Its alot of good information.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Tim Coltrain
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam

Thanks for everyones input on cam. Its alot of good information.

TIM$VETT

Quick Reply: Deciding On Cam