C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Traction Control... Why is it not working?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:21 AM
justinkscott
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '05 Traction Control... Why is it not working?????

Ok... Question:

I drove my 05 into a deserted parking lot; rev'd up, dropped the clutch, spun over 180degrees... Then the T/C took over. My c5 would have kept me going straight (albeit slowly).

Is t/c working correctly?

C6, 05, z51, stock
Old 05-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Very Interested.

My car doesn't seem to have any which resulted in a very bad way,
Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I think you mean the Active Handling system, not traction control? There is only so much it can do. But, something you need to know about the 05's. The differential cases are junk. GM realized this after production and made a last minute software fix they called 'torque management'. In 6-sp cars, the power output of the engine is reduced in 1st and 2nd gears in an attempt to prevent catastrophic grenading of the differential cases. This feature can be bypassed with a tune, however, even with the TM working, many 2005 cars exploded the cases when driven hard. This failure can also damage the output shaft on the tranny, so worse case senero's can be VERY expensive. It's just like GM to produce a car with 50 additional hp than the C5 cars, then try to save $10 in aluminum by designing the differential cae too thin. This issue was resolved in 2006 by using a different case design. Drop clutch starts along with wheel hop is the culprit that usually causes the cases to explode.
Be careful out there.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM
justinkscott
Advanced

Ok... But my test was only to see if the T/C would work like it did on my c5... It really doesn't!

It waited like 4-5 seconds before actually pulling the throttle away from me. What's the point? By then I'm already sliding or who knows what.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an early 2005, and my experience with traction control in slippery conditions (drive through the winter too) is that if the wheels are pointed straight ahead, the car will happily spin the tires for as long as you want.

However, if the wheels are turned TC will indeed intervene and allow only a little bit of wheel spin.

The other day when "communicating" with a taxi that I was unsure where he was going (both trying to change lanes and I wasn't sure if he was going to accelerate around me to cut in front of me) I goosed the car (A LOT) while I was changing lanes and I swear I had Active Handling, Traction Control and ABS all going at the same time!!

Taxi got the message though
Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The later C5s would let you spin the tires quite liberally in a straight line but they seem to have relaxed the C6 TC. It will activate quickly if one rear wheel is slipping more than the other but if both are slipping the same amount it lets the car slide around a lot more than the C5.

Bill
Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM
justinkscott
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The later C5s would let you spin the tires quite liberally in a straight line but they seem to have relaxed the C6 TC. It will activate quickly if one rear wheel is slipping more than the other but if both are slipping the same amount it lets the car slide around a lot more than the C5.

Bill
That's ridiculous! It does have its place most of the time. If I didn't want t/c; I'd just turn it off.

Is there anyway to tell the silicon nanny to be more aggressive?

Get notified of new replies

To '05 Traction Control... Why is it not working?????

Quick Reply: '05 Traction Control... Why is it not working?????