C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Radiator Repalcement

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 PM
designertony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 Radiator Repalcement

I am thinking of replacing the stock radiator in my C6 Z06 with a Dewitts Direct Fit. I plan to get the one without the integral EOC. How tough a job is this? Do I have to remove the AC Condensor to get the radiator out?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:22 AM
ashanson
Instructor

Not a terribly tough job, and you shouldn't have to remove the AC condensor. I removed my dewitts radiator when installing the supercharger and left the AC condensor in place. Have to take off the fan which is a PITA on jackstands, but otherwise not bad.

A side note: I drained all the fluid that would come out of my dewitts radiator, and when I took it out I noticed a lot of fluid was still in it. When tipped the wrong way I lost a bit on the floor.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I suggest checking out the radiators manufactured by Ron Davis. I have one of their units in my ProCharged C6, and along with using a 55gph Meziere EWP and 160 t'stat, I never have any cooling issues.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM
designertony
Intermediate

Thanks for the input & suggestions!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Uncledibble
Intermediate

Default installing new radiator

Okay this thread and a few others were very helpful in my R&R of the stock type radiator on my C6Z06.

However

With two guys on the job it is almost impossible to get the new radiator on the condenser without unhooking/recahrging the AC system.

With that said...after two hours of determined effort with two mechanically inclined determined men it only happened after I trimmed about 1/8-1/4 of an inch of the passenger side bottom tab on the radiator. This still leaves plenyy of tab to hold it in to place an allowed it to be wiggled on in less than 2 minutes by ONE pair of hands.

CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR AND TRIM A LITTLE OFF THE PASSENGER SIDE BOTTOM TAB BEFORE YOU START. UNBELIEVEABLY EASY AND TOTTAL SECURE.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Gabbiani
Racer

Tab ends up broken off lots of the time. I figure the other 3 can old it together.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

When swapping my OEM radiator for a DeWitts many years ago I did have to do something with a tab or two but I made the change alone and didn't have to mess with the AC. Adding the needed EOC lines on my A6 was the biggest job.

--Dan
Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I just completed this project, adding the Dewitts with EOC and TOC. I have a quick lift which places the Vette 30+ inches above the floor, allowing for easy access to the fan and radiator from below. I had problems separating the OEM radiator from the AC condenser. The passenger side, lower tab, is different than the three other tabs at the corners of the condenser. The passenger side lower tab has a finger pointing down at the end of the tab which would not allow separation of the radiator from the condenser. I ended up taking my sawzall, cutting the feet off the OEM radiator which then allowed for pulling the base of the radiator towards the rear, clearing the two bottom support brackets and dropping away from the condenser. I then sawed off the little additional finger found on the passenger side, lower tab so that all four condenser tabs look alike. Everything is back together and fit is perfect. I did have to modify the upper radiator shroud, cutting part of it away to allow clearance for my E-Force Filter Air Bridge to TB connection. Did all the work by myself in my garage. Two people would have made this job much easier and quicker. I was not in a hurry, no deadline, so time was not an issue. Just took my time, working through each obstacle/ stumbling block encountered.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Uncledibble
Intermediate

Default Rookie mistake

Well as mentioned above once I modified the tab the install went great. Up refilling and test driving the motor heated up (over 250*) quickly.
back in the garage to make sure the air was all out of the system and it was.

Here is the embarrassing part the "oem replacement" rad I purchased is considerably slimmer than the OEM I took out. so less cooling capacity. It was 105 here in AZ yesterday so getting hot did not take that long.

Rookie mistake not sitting the old part next to the new part as the thickness would have been a dead give away. everything else matched up and hooked up perfectly.

Swallowed my pride and thought I would post this in hopes of helping some other knuckle head someday.

Dewitts now on order.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

After removing the C6 OEM radiator, I performed the side by side, stare and compare, visual comparison. The Dewitts is much thicker and is advertised to double the cooling capacity over OEM. I have not had an opportunity to drive any distance to really compare old ECT readings to new but at idle, letting the Vette warm up, I can see a difference. Takes longer to warm up with the Dewitts over OEM. I went with Dewitts because I wanted to add external engine oil cooling (Z51 option) to my Vert. Ordered the OEM Z51 EOC lines from PartsTaxi. Adding the Z51 EOC lines was the easiest part of this project. Have not had an opportunity to see how much of a difference this new configuration will have over what I replaced.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Uncledibble
Intermediate

Default Totally baffled

Well....I got home today and the temps here in AZ are right at 100 degrees. I ran the Z06 for about 10 min. then noticed the coolant was all out of the holding tank. I added coolant to get it to the full cold line and went for a drive. tooling around the subdivision with some stretches on main side streets the water temp got to around 220 and held there. So I decided to romp on it a bit and see what happens. I got it up to 230 degrees but NOT until I went back to stop and go type driving shortly after the hard driving. Then I went for a highway drive since it seemed ok and at 70MPH and 102* showing on the car thermometer for outside temp I showed 215-217 degrees. Then it went up to 220-225 in stop and go traffic over 8 miles on the way home at 30MPH or less. This rad is not as thick across the top as the OEM but this latest experience does not alarm me. Thoughts keeping in mind I am in Arizona heat with the C6Z06?????

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Radiator Repalcement

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Radiator Repalcement