C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of Harmonic Balancer install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 AM
sjducharme
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone actually know the quickest easiest way to replace the harmonic balancer on 06 C6. By these posts no real answers other then a few LOL's with no answers of how it was done for 150.00 Seems to me the motor mounts could be loosened and jack the motor up a few inches and the balancer will clear the rack. The GM method calls for dismantling and dropping the rack etc. and other components. Thanks, and I'm not laughing!
Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a few searches you should come up with a guy in Austin TX that can do the install pretty quickly. He has a lift and if I remember correctly it was a couple hour job. I did mine myself in my garage without a lift. I bought the Powerbond balancer for $100. It took pretty much all day Saturday and about an hour and a half on Sunday. I did make about a half dozen trips to the store to buy some tools that I didn't have. The balancer puller I rented wouldn't work so I cut down a long drill bit for that. Had to but a set of line wrenches for the power steering pump lines and cut the line wrench in half. If I had to do it again I could probably cut 3+ hours off the time, but you are still talking most of a day.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by sjducharme
Anyone actually know the quickest easiest way to replace the harmonic balancer on 06 C6. By these posts no real answers other then a few LOL's with no answers of how it was done for 150.00 Seems to me the motor mounts could be loosened and jack the motor up a few inches and the balancer will clear the rack. The GM method calls for dismantling and dropping the rack etc. and other components. Thanks, and I'm not laughing!
I did more or less what you're talking about. I held the engine in place and lowered the subframe with the rack attached. That goes pretty quickly.

Access is still a hassle when working on the ground. This job would go much quicker with a lift.

Quick Reply: Cost of Harmonic Balancer install?