C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 engine, new cam no real HP gain?

Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Any update?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
littlefranks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF IT HELPS ANY .THE KEYWAY HAS TO BE AT 1 O-CLOCK that would be top dead center.the cam gear pin at 3 o-clock.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM
littlefranks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrdogg
Cam is out of the car and being cam dr-ed at a independent 3rd party, might have the results back today...
john .if your valve train was real noisy.i would pull a head to see if you had valve to piston clearance issue.possible down on power dew to exhaust valve being bent.had same problem with mike t vette.or do a leakdown with the rockers off.after you reinstall cam.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No update yet.

What keyway are you refering to?

I borrowed a boroscope to check out the tops of the pistons for any unusual marks. Plan to do a leak down on the engine as well, we just used a piston stop and degree wheel to find TDC.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I think he means the keyway on the crank snout.

If the cam was installed incorrectly, I feel like you'd have much worse problems on your hands than a little down on power. I still think it was ground incorrectly
Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Originally Posted by Justinjor
I think he means the keyway on the crank snout.

If the cam was installed incorrectly, I feel like you'd have much worse problems on your hands than a little down on power. I still think it was ground incorrectly
We are about 99% sure the cam was installed correctly, at TDC the cam mark was straight down, couldn't see the crank mark but it would either be there or 180 out and then the piston would have moved...

I am on pins and needles waiting patiently.

I'll be honest I didn't look close but I don't think there is a key way on the snout, think that's why everyone pins the pulley in place? Or maybe there's a key way on the snout and not on the balancer, on my buds lt1 vette we had a key way laser cut into the balancer holder so his Vortech would stop throwing belts, that was 20 years ago .
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There's a keyway for the timing gear so you can align the cam, but no keyway for the balancer, which is why blower guys pin them.

Often times the new timing gears come with a variety of keyways so you can degree the cams...you should pull yours down and make sure it's not 2 degrees retarded. I've been quiet but I suspect that is your issue.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

The LS3 crank has a keyway for sure. I almost post poned my build when I saw it so I could pin it while I was down there.

This is a blurry pic, but you can see it at the 1 oclock position.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

There's a keyway, but no key. I remember thinking that I had lost it when I pulled off the OEM balancer. I had to research it on here to see if there was one present from the factory.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
There's a keyway for the timing gear so you can align the cam, but no keyway for the balancer, which is why blower guys pin them.

Often times the new timing gears come with a variety of keyways so you can degree the cams...you should pull yours down and make sure it's not 2 degrees retarded. I've been quiet but I suspect that is your issue.
OEM gears come with those provisions? My 3 bolt cam gear only installed one way but I know John went the other route and had to convert to a single bolt cam gear. Perhaps they're different?

I thought for sure I had a pic of the cam/crank being lined up so I could have someone verify it for me but I don't know what happened to it. I could have sworn there was a slot on the end of the crank but I've been wrong before.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

OEM gears come with those provisions? My 3 bolt cam gear only installed one way but I know John went the other route and had to convert to a single bolt cam gear. Perhaps they're different?

I thought for sure I had a pic of the cam/crank being lined up so I could have someone verify it for me but I don't know what happened to it. I could have sworn there was a slot on the end of the crank but I've been wrong before.
No, but aftermarket cam gears sometimes allow this. You can advance or retard cams and move HP peak around as you know. As his top end didn't change I suspect the cam is retarded. I don't know if he installed an adjustable kit...but the fact that they reused his balancer bolt instead of waiting for the proper part caused me to lose faith in the install and I'd double check it for sure.

He's lucky he didn't lose a balancer going down the road.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

Ya, this whole incident wreaks of suck.

I think John had an OEM single bolt cam gear installed as he mistakenly ordered the spin cam cut on a single bolt instead of a 3 bolt.

The cam being retarded certainly isn't out of the realm of possibilities. I'm really curious to see what the cam doctor reveals. If it is in fact the correct grind, I'll be mind-boggled. Installing a cam isn't exactly technically-challenging
Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Oh well that makes sense it's inside the oil pump that won't come off on my engine.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

the three bolt and single bolt cam sprockets line up perfectly, no way to get that wrong, I'll be going back to a three bolt, all parts are here except cam and I actually have one for my 5.3 turbo engine I have been staring at but it's on the small side.

My Meziere Corvette pump showed up today as well, they do nice work but they charge for it, when this car comes back out it either going to be a beast or it's heading east.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Tech Contributor

So a turbo cam huh. . .does that mean you have turbo plans in the works?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kerrdogg
Oh well that makes sense it's inside the oil pump that won't come off on my engine.
I wouldn't put that engine back together without checking that gear...particularly if the cam comes back ok from the cam doctor.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

So a turbo cam huh. . .does that mean you have turbo plans in the works?

I have a 1980 Mercury Zephyer (think Grandmas Fairmont, same box) with a transplanted 5.3 LS with a large frame 72 mm turbo and built 4l80 that is now running, dual 3" aluminum exhaust, not a looker until the hood pops, then you hear, holy and **** used together , bingo anyone?

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 engine, new cam no real HP gain?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Not sure we could ever consider a Zehpyr a muscle car...

but bring it out June 16, I'm looking forward to seeing it!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Kerrdogg
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Not sure we could ever consider a Zehpyr a muscle car...

but bring it out June 16, I'm looking forward to seeing it!
It's no muscle car, it's a box with lot's of horse powers .... Need to swap cam and valve springs, should dyno around 650 rwhp @ 14psi ans weighs about 3k lbs right now. I have 17" Billet specialties for it and will have 275/40/17 drag radials on "Z" back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS3 engine, new cam no real HP gain?