C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM brand clear coat for c6 corvette??? i looked all over...

Old 04-08-2012, 02:32 AM
midnightmagnumcorp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM brand clear coat for c6 corvette??? i looked all over...

I have some paint problems, I had my front facia cracked from hitting a piece of tire on the road a while back.

On Jan 14th of this year i got a quote to get everything fixed and I have still yet to have it completed right!!

The car has 7k miles on it, is garage kept, and is solid black. When I got the facia painted 1 month ago from a guy at GM, it didnt match. He instantly tried to blame it on sun bleaching my black, but my black has never really been in the sun and looks exactly the same as their show room cars black.

long story short, i need to go to a better painter that actually knows what they are doing. I want to know exactly what brand and model clear coat is used on this cars plastic facia (oem). This question is very important since I had another corvette that was black and had the z06 quarter panels installed and painted. The paint matched great, but after every wash, only the quarter panels would have horrible swirl marks in them while the rest of the car didnt! It seemed like the factory clear coat was softer everywhere on the car (I say this because I could actually get my finger nail to put a tiny dent in the clear coat on warm days on the whole car except the quarter panels I had painted) and it seemed like the factory clear coats softness made it resist getting swirl marks. I want to instruct a new painter on what clear coat to use (the exact same brand and model clear coat that is used by the factory) Can anyone answer this one??

Thanks all!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM
midnightmagnumcorp
Instructor

anyone? this question seems its for people that -really know what they are talking about when it comes to oem spec-
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gm uses both DuPont and PPG both brands have many quality of paint lines. Clear can start at $80 a gallon to over $500. The quality of paint and prep is probably more important than brand.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
cam75w/ls1
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paint vettes and when it comes to black,I would use the PPG. I painted a hood on one vette using BASF and it looked great in the sun but when it became twilight it didn't match. I switched to the PPG and it was perfect. Been using it every since. If your clear is still soft on hot days then it is retarded(painters term)Meaning the clear and hardner was not mixed correctly. I use to have this problem in my inexperienced days when I thought I could guess the mixing ratios and get it close enough w/o mixing cups. NOT! In the paint world it has to be mixed correctly.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car has Deltron PPG paint and clear. I am very pleased with finish
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 PM
midnightmagnumcorp
Instructor

Originally Posted by cam75w/ls1
I paint vettes and when it comes to black,I would use the PPG. I painted a hood on one vette using BASF and it looked great in the sun but when it became twilight it didn't match. I switched to the PPG and it was perfect. Been using it every since. If your clear is still soft on hot days then it is retarded(painters term)Meaning the clear and hardner was not mixed correctly. I use to have this problem in my inexperienced days when I thought I could guess the mixing ratios and get it close enough w/o mixing cups. NOT! In the paint world it has to be mixed correctly.
Clear coat is soft on all c6 vettes in the sun... go to the dealership and see for yourself... it smmes it makes it resist surface swirls.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 PM
midnightmagnumcorp
Instructor

lol, again does anyone know the make and model clear coat that is used by oem c6 GM corvettes. I have a paint dealer account and need to know what to get my new paint guy... Either dupont or ppg, what is the make and model clear coat paint? example "PPG DCC series etc.. etc..."

Last edited by midnightmagnumcorp; 04-10-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM brand clear coat for c6 corvette??? i looked all over...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM brand clear coat for c6 corvette??? i looked all over...