C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS Launch Control / My experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Default GS Launch Control / My experience

Hi Everyone!! I just recently bought my girlfriend a 2010 Black/Black GS 6M 2LTwith 6136 miles on it. It's a nice car and I enjoy the way it drives and she does as well. She and I also happen to think Corvettes are one of the prettiest cars on the road.

The other night we went for a ride and we decided we would try the launch control. I have watched videos on how to do it a few times and it seemed simple enough to try it myself. So I stop, put the car into Competitive Drivng mode, push in the clutch, put the car in first gear, floor the accelerator, and let out the clutch. What happened next was anything but controlling a launch. It just incinerated the rear tires. So now it's just dancing off the rev limiter, right foot still glued to the floor and I think that's when I started to laugh. Very quick into second but with a throttle lift and back down again and the tires are still spinning without any type of traction control/launch control intervention whatsoever. So all the way to the top of 2nd gear and the car really hasn't moved all that far yet, maybe 80-100 feet I am guessing, and I just breathe out of it, put it in third and casually head down the road. So after that we both said we won't do that anymore. I actually felt bad for the car and the tires.

Can anyone shed any light on the operation of launch control and what, if anything, I could be doing wrong? I won't be trying it again actually. Just feels way too abusive to the car. I really just wanted to see if it worked and my early conclusion that on our GS it does not.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Does the car have a M2W controller for NPP exhaust? If yes, was it in the "W" (loud) mode?

If yes to that too, then switch it off, to "M" (quiet)(stock) mode.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM
99_roadster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying that will prevent launch control from doing its job?!?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RicK T
Does the car have a M2W controller for NPP exhaust? If yes, was it in the "W" (loud) mode?

If yes to that too, then switch it off, to "M" (quiet)(stock) mode.
It does have the optional exhaust but I was unaware that it had a controller. I don't know where it is if it has that. All I see in the car is a button in the center that turns on and off the TC/AH or puts it into competitive driving mode.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by 99_roadster
Are you saying that will prevent launch control from doing its job?!?
There was a discussion a few months ago about one of the Corvette techs at MacMulkin telling a member that was why his LC didn't work correctly. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...em-solved.html

Originally Posted by Racingswh
It does have the optional exhaust but I was unaware that it had a controller. I don't know where it is if it has that. All I see in the car is a button in the center that turns on and off the TC/AH or puts it into competitive driving mode.
The M2W is an after market item. If you didn't buy one then it doesn't have it.

So maybe you just didn't get the procedure exactly right. Try again or take it in to be checked and watch the mechanic test it. Nothing else to offer at this point. Sorry.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Hi Everyone!! I just recently bought my girlfriend a 2010 Black/Black GS 6M 2LTwith 6136 miles on it. It's a nice car and I enjoy the way it drives and she does as well. She and I also happen to think Corvettes are one of the prettiest cars on the road.

The other night we went for a ride and we decided we would try the launch control. I have watched videos on how to do it a few times and it seemed simple enough to try it myself. So I stop, put the car into Competitive Drivng mode, push in the clutch, put the car in first gear, floor the accelerator, and let out the clutch. What happened next was anything but controlling a launch. It just incinerated the rear tires. So now it's just dancing off the rev limiter, right foot still glued to the floor and I think that's when I started to laugh. Very quick into second but with a throttle lift and back down again and the tires are still spinning without any type of traction control/launch control intervention whatsoever. So all the way to the top of 2nd gear and the car really hasn't moved all that far yet, maybe 80-100 feet I am guessing, and I just breathe out of it, put it in third and casually head down the road. So after that we both said we won't do that anymore. I actually felt bad for the car and the tires.

Can anyone shed any light on the operation of launch control and what, if anything, I could be doing wrong? I won't be trying it again actually. Just feels way too abusive to the car. I really just wanted to see if it worked and my early conclusion that on our GS it does not.
When you floored the accelerator did the rpms level out around 4K before you dumped the clutch? If not then you were not in LC. Or did you lift off the throttle a little when you let out the clutch? If you did that you probably shut off LC. You have to keep your foot to the floor.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-28-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 AM
corvettemorris
Advanced

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought launch control wasn't available on the GS until 2011. You were using the correct procedure as I recall, but your year model didn't offer that feature.

By the way the mild to wild controller has nothing to do with launch control.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvettemorris
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought launch control wasn't available on the GS until 2011. You were using the correct procedure as I recall, but your year model didn't offer that feature.

By the way the mild to wild controller has nothing to do with launch control.
This is what I was thinking but when you search for video on the procedure it will list 2010 Corvette Grand Sport launch control and many of the videos were made in October 2009 or so with the latest one I saw that seemed to be the most realistic and simplest video was done in January 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVf2RRhhrkY

That's why I figured our car had it. Maybe it was an option?

The revs did not level out at all. Basically went to the limiter and I dropped the clutch. I didn't know how it worked so I wasn't sure if that was correct or not. I thought to myself there is no way this is going to work at this RPM and sure enough didn't work.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RicK T
There was a discussion a few months ago about one of the Corvette techs at MacMulkin telling a member that was why his LC didn't work correctly. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...em-solved.html

The M2W is an after market item. If you didn't buy one then it doesn't have it.

So maybe you just didn't get the procedure exactly right. Try again or take it in to be checked and watch the mechanic test it. Nothing else to offer at this point. Sorry.
Rick,

Thanks for posting this. I searched and for some reason I didn't see this post.

I will just take the car in and see what they tell me.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

The revs did not level out at all.
You gave a hell of a beating to your car then . Next time educate yourself about a feature first . The 4K rpm limit is a dead giveaway if LC is working or not. The good news is you can buy nicer tires sooner .
Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
You gave a hell of a beating to your car then . Next time educate yourself about a feature first . The 4K rpm limit is a dead giveaway if LC is working or not. The good news is you can buy nicer tires sooner .
I sure did and I don't mind beating a car a little to get it moving but starts that violent make me cringe. Like I said, we won't be trying that again. Both she and I can get the car rolling just fine without any electronic nannie help.

One thing I do find interesting though is that it had no traction control intervention of any kind regardless of the fact that launch control didn't work.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure did and I don't mind beating a car a little to get it moving but starts that violent make me cringe. Like I said, we won't be trying that again. Both she and I can get the car rolling just fine without any electronic nannie help.

One thing I do find interesting though is that it had no traction control intervention of any kind regardless of the fact that launch control didn't work.
Competitive driving mode will freely allow you to light up the rear tires.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:07 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Competitive mode has no traction control at all. In fact, the first push of the button disables it completely. Competitive mode (besides enabling launch control) also reduces the intervention rate of 'active handling', allowing you to rotate the tail some before it intervenes. All of that is in the owner's manual, by the way.

And glad you roasted the tires, instead of your halfshafts, tranny, or some other more expensive component. Your worst enemy is wheel hop; if you didn't have any, your car should be fine.

Last edited by JCtx; 03-29-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It looks like you basically did a 6500 rpm clutch-dump burnout. I'll bet there was plenty of smoke, lol.

Anyway, next time just watch the revs and make sure they are held at 4K automatically (so you know launch control is active) before you release the clutch. I know on the BMW //M cars with launch mode, there are a number of prerequisites that must be met to activate the system (engine temp, etc.). Not sure about the C6.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Hi Everyone!! I just recently bought my girlfriend a 2010 Black/Black GS 6M 2LTwith 6136 miles on it.
Girlfriend? I hope you're name is on the title! You are a hell of a boyfriend!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Streetk14

It looks like you basically did a 6500 rpm clutch-dump burnout. I'll bet there was plenty of smoke, lol.
Yes that's exactly what it was.

She really likes the car. It's one of the prettiest cars on the road and the previous owner took especially good care of it so it is nearly immaculate or was until we got our hands on it!!

Thank you for everyones input here as now we have a clear understanding of what the dfferent modes are for TC/AH and what we can expect the car to do. Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To GS Launch Control / My experience

Quick Reply: GS Launch Control / My experience