C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

zo6 Rocker Arm mix up

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM
millhouse1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zo6 Rocker Arm mix up

My boss just bought a low mileage 07 z06-12k mikes. Had a little valve train noise in it so we pulled a valve cover to look at it. #5 had the rocker arms swapped.

This car was bought from a friend and he never mentioned the noise-. We checked the service records through GM and it has never had any warranty work of any kind performed on it.

What are the odds of that happening?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Stage Runner
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by millhouse1
My boss just bought a low mileage 07 z06-12k mikes. Had a little valve train noise in it so we pulled a valve cover to look at it. #5 had the rocker arms swapped.

This car was bought from a friend and he never mentioned the noise-. We checked the service records through GM and it has never had any warranty work of any kind performed on it.

What are the odds of that happening?
When you say swapped; intake on exhaust and ex on in.? How long have you known your friend and was he original owner?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
millhouse1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original owner is a friend and did absolutely nothing to the car. Mechanically he is an idiot. All the bolts on the motor still have all the factory paint markings on them.

Basically this car came from the factory with the rocker arms swapped on #5.Intake on exhaust and vice versa. I'm surprised it never broke one of them. They were only touching about 1/2 the valve tip.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Stage Runner
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just sounds like an assembly error. Might consider getting another pair of in. & ex. rockers as after 12k they will have a wear pattern possibly where they have been riding on the valve tip edges.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

All I can say is wow, wonder who assembled that engine from the plant?

Get notified of new replies

To zo6 Rocker Arm mix up

Quick Reply: zo6 Rocker Arm mix up