C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curb alert review & installation!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Curb alert review & installation!

This thing just flat out works great IMHO! By the time I hear the beeps and hit the brake I'm "approx." 12 inches from the "curb" so to speak. It looks like a perfect pull in job, not to close and not to far for sure. Then I tried a wall which I "thought" I was getting to close to so I was extra careful but that distance turned out to be approx. 16" from the wall when stopped. This Curb Alert is great and if someone were to ask me I would recommend it.

I talked to the inventor on the phone and all I can say is he cares about the product, how people perceive the product and if you have any concerns with the product he will see they are taken care of. Oh, and on top of all that "Bill" seems to be a genuinely down to earth good person.

The way I hooked mine up:

Only the speaker wire is in the cabin (with the speaker) the rest is under the hood except the sensor. The installation is so good that the only thing you can see under the hood is the control box which I located next to the fuse box on the passenger fender, could of Velcro the control box to the side of the battery also. I hooked the + on the positive post in the fuse box with a SS locking nut and there is a ground on the frame in front of the fuse box that you could use but I drilled my own ground closer to the fuse box.

When you start the car it turns on and when you turn the car off the unit will turn itself off completely in 10 minutes. No in line fuse is needed to hook this up and uses very little power when on. You don't have to worry about this Curb Alert running your battery dead because it turns itself off automatically.

I could go into more detail but I won't, only thing else I will say is when you open my passenger side door you see "nothing" same with the hood and I ran the wire about the same way as they show in the video but with a few small but important changes and no drilling.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Man
This thing just flat out works great IMHO! By the time I hear the beeps and hit the brake I'm "approx." 12 inches from the "curb" so to speak. It looks like a perfect pull in job, not to close and not to far for sure. Then I tried a wall which I "thought" I was getting to close to so I was extra careful but that distance turned out to be approx. 16" from the wall when stopped. This Curb Alert is great and if someone were to ask me I would recommend it.

I talked to the inventor on the phone and all I can say is he cares about the product, how people perceive the product and if you have any concerns with the product he will see they are taken care of. Oh, and on top of all that "Bill" seems to be a genuinely down to earth good person.

Only the speaker wire is in the cabin (with the speaker) the rest is under the hood except the sensor. The installation is so good that the only thing you can see under the hood is the control box which I located next to the fuse box on the passenger fender, could of Velcro the control box to the side of the battery also. I hooked the + on the positive post in the fuse box with a SS locking nut and there is a ground on the frame in front of the fuse box that you could use but I drilled my own ground closer to the fuse box.

When you start the car it turns on and when you turn the car off the unit will turn itself off completely in 10 minutes. No in line fuse is needed to hook this up and uses very little power when on. You don't have to worry about this Curb Alert running your battery dead because it turns itself off automatically.

I could go into more detail but I won't, only thing else I will say is when you open my passenger side door you see "nothing" same with the hood and I ran the wire about the same way as they show in the video but with a few small but important changes and no drilling.
I hooked mine up pretty much the same way you did. Works great.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear this. I have already purchased one and am waiting for a project week end to install on my '10 GS.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to expand on these changes, please.

BJK
Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 PM
FAF
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does any one have problems with false alerts.
I installed my curve alert on my Z06 today and calibrated it but when I drive it every pavement color change sets it of as well as every time the brake makes the front end tip down it goes off. also road level changes, its pretty annoying so far. maybe I'm calibrating it wrong I have it set to 4" hight and 17" away. driveway makes it go off every time. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fred
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default Update

I revamped mine. Now there is "nothing" in the engine compartment, I ran the front sensor wire into the passenger side cabin interior. I Velcro the small main unit to the top side of the panel under the glove box which after removing one plastic push pin the right side of the panel folds down like a door so you can get to the Velcro control box easy, it's just one plastic pin that holds the fold/crease/door up. Take a close look you will see what I mean by a door (mine is a 2010). The speaker was installed on that metal brace on the passenger side by the center hump. The control box stays "cooler" and cleaner when installed inside the car, it also cleans up the engine compartment because now there is nothing to see. It's been a while I think I grounded to that metal brace on the passenger side by the hump that the speaker is stuck to and I got that double fuse holder at Advanced Auto which made the 12 volt hookup inside the car a plug and play. The power now turns on and off with the start button.

PS: Should of took some pics but did not.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-09-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Other than when it should go off mine will beep coming in or out of my driveway because the driveway hump just about makes the front spoiler hit and there are some roads that have bad dips that have the same effect, however most road speed humps "do not" set mine off or driving on normal roads. I hardly ever hear mine so when I do pull into the driveway sometimes I pull up close to the closed garage door to hear it go off and check the distance which is right on every time.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-09-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:02 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like a good gadget if you have to park REALLY close to a wall or parking barrier, but for most of us it's not really needed IMO. I can't precisely judge distances from my front spoiler less than a foot, but I don't want to add unnecessary gadgets that can get a mind of their own and drain my battery at the most inopportune time when I can park at least a foot away from any obstruction. Since the Vette is shorter than most cars, even those that can't calculate very well could leave it 2' away without any issues. I can't stand non-factory accessories, especially if they start beeping at speed (factory systems only activate at less than 5 mph). Plus I cannot use the grille location since I installed a fiberglass screen. If I needed something, I'd probably put a camera instead: even more accurate, and no beeping. Plus I'd hook it up to the ignition and a manual switch, like the NPP, so never a chance to run the battery down.

But that's GREAT that Vette owners have options. I like options . And not everybody is as **** as me . Hope everybody had a great 4th.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

FAF, you should contact your vendor if you have not already, something is wrong it may be the way you have it set or it could be something else.

What the alert will do is stop you from hitting your front end, if your paying attention. The low draw unit will shut itself off after 10 minutes of standing after you turn the car off (built in timer) so you don't have to worry about the battery being drained.

I feel that the second way that I re-installed the approx. 6 oz. or so system is the best way, it keeps the control box out of all that underhood heat which may cause problems, etc.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

I revamped mine. Now there is "nothing" in the engine compartment, I ran the front sensor wire into the passenger side cabin interior. I Velcro the small main unit to the top side of the panel under the glove box which after removing one plastic push pin the right side of the panel folds down like a door so you can get to the Velcro control box easy, it's just one plastic pin that holds the fold/crease/door up. Take a close look you will see what I mean by a door (mine is a 2010). The speaker was installed on that metal brace on the passenger side by the center hump. The control box stays "cooler" and cleaner when installed inside the car, it also cleans up the engine compartment because now there is nothing to see. It's been a while I think I grounded to that metal brace on the passenger side by the hump that the speaker is stuck to and I got that double fuse holder at Advanced Auto which made the 12 volt hookup inside the car a plug and play. The power now turns on and off with the start button.

PS: Should of took some pics but did not.
so you did not use the heated seat fuse location for your power source?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Malco
Instructor

I just installed a Curb Alert in my 2012 GS coupe. What a piece of junk. It goes off while driving down the road, but not when a curb comes up or a wall. I ruined my splitter playing with it. That was my own fault I guess, but the dam thing should have gone off.
I will try to calibrate the thing if I can figure out how. The instructions are useless.
If I can't get it to work in the next couple of days I will cut out the wires and toss it into the dumpster. By the way I bought it from Corvette Mods, they were no help at all, and the only thing they could say is that I must have installed it wrong, because they never had a problem.
I should have paid a little more and purchased it from Southern Car Parts, my friend had a problem with his and they were very helpful.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:52 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Malco
I just installed a Curb Alert in my 2012 GS coupe. What a piece of junk. It goes off while driving down the road, but not when a curb comes up or a wall. I ruined my splitter playing with it. That was my own fault I guess, but the dam thing should have gone off.
I will try to calibrate the thing if I can figure out how. The instructions are useless.
If I can't get it to work in the next couple of days I will cut out the wires and toss it into the dumpster. By the way I bought it from Corvette Mods, they were no help at all, and the only thing they could say is that I must have installed it wrong, because they never had a problem.
I should have paid a little more and purchased it from Southern Car Parts, my friend had a problem with his and they were very helpful.
Malco, I am no expert on the curb alert at all, period. I have a few things,

1) Check to see if the tape on the front sensor is still completely stuck solid front to back, etc. The tape on mine was coming loose which causes the sensor to swing/move and give all kinds of bogus beeps. I replaced the original tape with some good outdoor "heavy duty" 3M double sided tape from Loews and you have to use some rubbing alcohol to clean "all" surfaces off really well and then not touch them or the sticky tape surface during installation or it may come loose like my original installation did. Oh, also that front sensor set screw should be tight.

2) Did you install the main control unit inside the cabin like in my re-vamp post to keep the unit out of the harsh/hot underhood environment?

3) The vendor you purchased it from should be able to put you in touch with someone (like the inventor) who can help solve your problem.

Hope this helps you out.

PS: Malco I got to tell you and everyone else that I don't fully trust anything made by man, hell they say even UFO's crash. If I think I'm getting a little to close I stop and not wait for the beeps even if nothing is wrong, better to be safe than sorry. Like I said mine has been working fine for a good while now. A bug or some mud could hit the front of the sensor during a drive; that is one reason to still use your own judgment but I do know from using it when the unit beeps and in my case it's approx. 16 inches from touching going real slow or about 12 inches at normal approach speeds.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-10-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Malco
Instructor

Malco, I am no expert on the curb alert at all, period. I have a few things,

1) Check to see if the tape on the front sensor is still completely stuck solid front to back, etc. The tape on mine was coming loose which causes the sensor to swing/move and give all kinds of bogus beeps. I replaced the original tape with some good outdoor "heavy duty" 3M double sided tape from Loews and you have to use some rubbing alcohol to clean "all" surfaces off really well and then not touch them or the sticky tape surface during installation or it may come loose like my original installation did. Oh, also that front sensor set screw should be tight.

2) Did you install the main control unit inside the cabin like in my re-vamp post to keep the unit out of the harsh/hot underhood environment?

3) The vendor you purchased it from should be able to put you in touch with someone (like the inventor) who can help solve your problem.

Hope this helps you out.

PS: Malco I got to tell you and everyone else that I don't fully trust anything made by man, hell they say even UFO's crash. If I think I'm getting a little to close I stop and not wait for the beeps even if nothing is wrong, better to be safe than sorry. Like I said mine has been working fine for a good while now. A bug or some mud could hit the front of the sensor during a drive; that is one reason to still use your own judgment but I do know from using it when the unit beeps and in my case it's approx. 16 inches from touching going real slow or about 12 inches at normal approach speeds.
1 The unit is taped solid, but I have a front license plate so it is on the right side of it.

2 I followed the video, so the unit is inside the fuse box under the passenger side.

3 The vendor was no help at all.

After watching the calibrate video I see that once the unit is installed it is a 2 man job, so I will wait to the weekend and have a friend help me.

UFO's probably crash because like everything else they are made in China
Old 07-22-2012, 05:57 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

It sounds like it needs to be re calibrated....Here is the latest Calibration video, make sure you calibrated it on the vertical plane also.

Video is at the bottom of the page...

Curb Alert Calibration Video

1 The unit is taped solid, but I have a front license plate so it is on the right side of it.

2 I followed the video, so the unit is inside the fuse box under the passenger side.

3 The vendor was no help at all.

After watching the calibrate video I see that once the unit is installed it is a 2 man job, so I will wait to the weekend and have a friend help me.

UFO's probably crash because like everything else they are made in China
Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 PM
wj150v
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Malco,

Sorry you have such a negative opinion of the Curb Alert! My company developed and makes the product. We have 1000's installed on Corvettes that work extremely well. I want you to be a 100% satisfied customer! So:

1- I'd be happy to send you a new Curb Alert unit at no cost.
2- When you are ready to install it, I'll personally telephone talk you through the installation.
3- You should visit our website ( www.curb-alert.com )and watch the install and calibration videos. They should make the install and calibration much easier.

Best Regards,

Bill
Vehicle Positioning, LLC

Last edited by wj150v; 08-03-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: PHONE NUMBER WAS LISTED
Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 AM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the unit about a week ago. Easy install and works as advertised.

I would like, or I am considering seeing if I can get another sensor and put the two on each side of the vehicle front. I notice on some parking curbs that have diamond like wedges, the center mounted sensor does not pick it up until I would have driven up over it. I haven't driven over one so far but the CA does not alert on these off center, non parallel to the sensor curbs, as the parking curb may have it's structure on the left or right side of the front of the car as you are approaching.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

I installed my senson just above the front center air dam and it works great there as I have a bra on the car so the grill area would not work.
I does sense when I go over a low spot occasionally but that is not problem.
A great invention. I plan to put one on my CTS also

Get notified of new replies

To Curb alert review & installation!

Quick Reply: Curb alert review & installation!